THE_Vue's

baitcast reel with full ceramic bearings installed

Has anyone done a full ceramic bearing upgrade to there baitcast reel running them dry?  I haven't heard or seen this done before but the spool only.  How is the performance difference than stock?  I'm planning to do this to my CT Tat btw.

9 hours ago, THE_Vue's said:

Has anyone done a full ceramic bearing upgrade to there baitcast reel running them dry?  I haven't heard or seen this done before but the spool only.  How is the performance difference than stock?  I'm planning to do this to my CT Tat btw.

Are you referring to something like a boca orange seal when you say full ceramic?  Those bearings are not full ceramic, but are a ceramic hybrid. A full ceramic bearing is very expensive. Like $80 for 2 spool bearings. I've seen it done before with boca's. It's totally pointless and a huge waste of money. You will not gain anything from it at all.  The bearings will run you as much as the reel did.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rippin-lips said:

It's totally pointless and a huge waste of money. You will not gain anything from it at all.  The bearings will run you as much as the reel did.

Exactly.  I did it for a customer, I did NOT enjoy the results, though I suspect he liked bragging about it, lol.

7 hours ago, rippin-lips said:

Are you referring to something like a boca orange seal when you say full ceramic?  Those bearings are not full ceramic, but are a ceramic hybrid. A full ceramic bearing is very expensive. Like $80 for 2 spool bearings. I've seen it done before with boca's. It's totally pointless and a huge waste of money. You will not gain anything from it at all.  The bearings will run you as much as the reel did.

I'll agree with what's been said. ABEC 5 stainless steel bearings are more than enough for fishing reels. They just don't run fast enough, under enough load or for long enough periods of time to take advantage of higher rated bearings.

Besides, if you run ceramic hybrid bearings dry, the noise will drive you bonkers, at least it would me. Put oil in 'em and they will quiet  down, but  they will slow down to the point that you might as well use SS bearings to begin with.

Tom

• Like 1

Hybrid,  After contemplating I am going to add the extra bearings necessary instead of the ceramic bearings.  Does anyone know the size of the bearing under the main shaft frame bearing,  Im guessing its the same as the CC frame bearing?  Lastly the bearing size for the main shaft?  Thanks fellas

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 9:56 AM, rippin-lips said:

tried it on an ambassadeur pro max 1600 couple years ago.all 8 bearings went to, ceramic,very expensive,again this was an experiment. and as rippin-lips said it's not worth it. if you need to change bearings get the best you can,abec 5 or 7 will be just fine. if you need to know  the size you will need a micrometer.

My preference is for SS bearings, Abec 5 or 7 is fine.  If the reel is going to be used in sub freezing temps, I'll go to the hybrids, but only run a vapor thin amount of Oust Metol oil in them.

I have the abec hybrid orange seals in my Calais, I only installed them cause I did a complete rebuild on a worn out reel, I popped a seal off and put a very tiny drop of abec Lightning lube in the and reinstalled the seal. I have never heard them scream like they do dry, plus they stay very clean for a long time. I pop the seals and flush them once a year. Min and a half freespool(which is useless since its my pitching reel)

• Like 1