Sign in to follow this  
Puggz

Baitcasting reel for light wieght baits (Crankbait setup)

Is the Alderbaron the only answer??? Does anyone else make a comparable reel for this application? 

I currently have a Ci4 on my Med. power, MF action casting rod and I find it struggles with casting small baits.  Mainly smaller jerkbaits, SBs, and RTs that I like to use for smallies.

I'm also planning on upgrading my current MH/MF crankbait setup (Mojo Bass/Tatula 100) so i can move the Ci4 over to that.

Without having to get into modifying my Ci4 or a Curado 70, what else should I look at..

And no, I'm not really interested in a spinning combo...lol

TIA!

I have the Aldebaran and highly recommend the reel for a variety of applications, not just light weight lures.

:love4:

Have you tried with different line ?

I say for this, I can cast a Rapala Shad Rap size 5 or a Rapala Original floating minnow size 9, which are very light lures with my old XLT Plus Amabassadeurs that is far from being a modern baitcaster and they have only one spool bearing with 10 lb test Big Game.

Alphas sv in the low gear ratio would be perfect. Or buy any alphas, sol, pixy, t3, steez, or tdz and swap in an sv or diy spool with zpi or other quality bearings and you have a great reel for anything light. Really light stuff try an air reel like ss air, alphas air, or t3 air. If you want to stick with shimano a scorpion 1000xt or curado/chronarch 50 e with avail or ktf spool and upgraded bearings is as good or better than the aldebaran. A lot of it is also the rod when throwing light baits. Look for bfs designed rod with a softer tip to load for casting light baits and to keep fish hooked with small trebles. 

The Aldebaran isn't the only Shimano that will cast fairly light baits right from the factory.  How light do you plan on casting?  Some reels that I have that will do 3/16 oz. Shad Raps even with me doing the casting:  Curado 51Es, older gold colored Carbonlites, TD-Z 105Hs, PXL Type R, Sols, Alphas F, Alphas SV. Alphas ito Ai, Scorpion 4x4 SVS, Airy Red Pixy.  Pretty sure my 1600C Black Max reels will do 3/16 oz. as well.  Some of those reels will do lighter, but it will require a bit more practice on my part.

Once you start getting that light the rod becomes a big factor.  Especially for guys like me.  Raul and a few others might be able to do it with MH or Heavy rods, but I need a rod that loads well as I am not the expert many are with a baitcast reel.

Get the Stile. That's what I use. It's essentially the Aldebaran, but it comes in a 5:1 ratio and it has a 102mm power handle. It will sling a Shad Rap as good/better than a spinning setup. 

IMG_20160513_200628_zps1sq3nwpc.jpg

IMG_20160513_201018_zpsz83hv1wg.jpg

• Like 2