Desync

Levelwind vs non questions

Was wondering how much of a distance increase would you get over a levelwind reel? Lets use the PENN Squall reel as a reference. If I was to get one of the PENN Squall levelwind 15 or 20s what would be the ideal distance?

Interesting reel choice ~ Are you Bass Fishing with these Penn Reels ?  Both the Squall Lever Drag & the Squall Level Wind in the 15 & 20 size weigh in at over 16 ounces.  Seems a little beefy for Bass fishing.   And something that might be important to know and would definitely affect casting distance is that neither of these Conventional reels are actually designed for casting most bass sized baits.

penn-squall-15.jpg

A-Jay

3 minutes ago, A-Jay said:

Interesting reel choice ~ Are you Bass Fishing with these Penn Reels ?  Both the Squall Lever Drag & the Squall Level Wind in the 15 & 20 size weigh in at over 16 ounces.  Seems a little beefy for Bass fishing.   And something that might be important to know and would definitely affect casting distance is that neither of these Conventional reels are actually designed for casting.

A-Jay

Mainly stripe bass or occasionally catfish. I know this is a bass fishing forum but when I searched for best fishing forum on google this one popped up and I joined and kinda stuck here. As I don't own a boat and 99.9% of my fishing is right below our hydroelectric dam here in Alabama where everyone jam packs on the weekends trying for that big stripe or big cat.

I did purchase the PENN Spinfisher V 4500LL as my spinning reel and it weights in at 16.2oz and I can cast this thing all day long without as much as feeling like I broke a sweat. So I wasn't really considering the weight on the Squall, as I figured I could cast this thing just like my Spinfisher and be ok. 

The reason I chose the Squall is I like the design and the look of it over the low profile baitcasters, and I already use an Abu Garcia Black Max combo I bought at wal-mart a few years ago, so for my spinning setup I went with the PENN Spinfisher and now was looking to add a 3rd reel to my arsenal and was impressed with the Squall. As I've mainly fished with reels like the Black Max or the ambassadeur series reels that have a levelwind system I am more inclined to buy a reel with levelwind.

the one time i tried an open faced reel in Japan, it casted about 50% longer than my daiwa lexa, using a 1oz topwater. the line management was horrid and i havnt picked one up since

18 minutes ago, bigturtle said:

the one time i tried an open faced reel in Japan, it casted about 50% longer than my daiwa lexa, using a 1oz topwater. the line management was horrid and i havnt picked one up since

50% is a big increase, think you could come up with some numbers as in how far you cast that lure in yards? I'm not looking to throw to the moon, but where I fish for cats / stripe is right below our hydroelectric dam here and it’s usually calm still water in the mornings then they usually turn on 2 turbines around 10am which gets the water churning up pretty good and that’s when all the boats come rushing in and park dead in the middle of the churning water and either start casting or dropping jugs and just let the current push their boat down stream.

Well, with my Black Max combo I bought a few years ago from Wal-Mart I been using a 7/16oz plastic shad or a 1oz lead with a 3/0 circle hook and some cut bait and I just couldn't quite reach where all those boats kept coming in tossing out their jugs and picking up the cats. So I went and bought a PENN Spinfisher V 4500LL this week and now that I've gotten fishing fever again I saw the PENN Squalls and fell in love with the way those looked and was wanting to pick one up. Also, if I ever travelled back to Panama City Beach to fish again I would know I had decent gear for saltwater and wouldn't have to worry about anything.

14 minutes ago, Dan_the_fisher said:

I would go with a level wind, I think you would grow to not like the non level wind for what you are wanting

I was looking at the squall vs the levelwind squall and they both seem to have the free spool lever, just the levelwind reel doesn't say it. But do you think the levelwind option would fall short like my black max reel does? As the levelwind reel has 3 bearings where the non-levelwind version has 6, or does those extra bearings do anything for casting distance?

The problem with a reel that has a level wind that doesn't disengage in free spool the friction reduces the casting distance...no level wind, no friction. Most fresh water reels disengage the level wind in free spool, most salt water reels don't.

Tom

Chunking baits you dont really need a levelwind i have  couple 6500 abus i use for baitfishing they work perfect for chunking and get a few more yards casting .without a levelwind...

• Like 1

If you are casting and retrieving I'd look at abus, daiwa ryoga and pluton, and shimano calcuttas. These are all designed for ocean fishing and can definitely handle stripers and cats. Plus you could always use it for big swimbaits for bass and stripers. I have fished the tailrace below chickamauga lake on the Tennessee river so i understand the need for a tough reel. I'd look at one of these in the larger sizes and spool with heavy braid. Throw it on a long 8' plus surf casting rods are what most guys use I know, and get to fishing

17 hours ago, Desync said:

50% is a big increase, think you could come up with some numbers as in how far you cast that lure in yards?

I was casting to a buoy thats anchored off shore at exactly 90m, and i was shy of about 2 school bus lengths from reaching it.

Well I went over to my parents house today for the holiday and my dad gave me 2 reels. He gave me an older PENN 209 and a Shakespeare Tidewater 30LA, he also had an older PENN 309 but I have no use for such a huge reel at the moment.

He had both of them on a 6'6" MH ugly stik big game rod and he said he could throw the 209 as far as he needed to fish. Any of you ever use either one of these reels?

209 is the most popular reel around here on the chesepeake bay for trolling it can be cast but you need more then 6'6" of rod 10' is about right to get the most from the reel 309 is way to big for casting distance more a flip out to deep water for jigging and trolling

2 minutes ago, Maxximus Redneckus said:

209 is the most popular reel around here on the chesepeake bay for trolling it can be cast but you need more then 6'6" of rod 10' is about right to get the most from the reel 309 is way to big for casting distance more a flip out to deep water for jigging and trolling

Yea I noticed the 309 was huge and I wasn't about to try and cast it. I took both reels off of the 6'6" rods as they have just been sitting in my dad's shop for years and years now and rats have done chewed up the rods pretty bad. How about an 8' surf rod? Or possibly a 7' MH rod like the Tsunami Five Star Rod?

The thing about  209 is it works best with 20 to 30 lb line and that reel with 300 yrds of big line takes a lot to move that spool no less then 3 oz  and id go with the 8' its gonna be tricky casting it but once u find a  technique it will be  fine

I used to use Abu 6500c3 and took that levelwind off the reel. It cast pretty good way better than original, but still not enough for me. I then switch to Newell 220-5 series and wow what a different. That would be 20 years ago.

Once I moved here to US, you know what the first thing I bought, newell of course and abu 6500c3 as well.

• Like 1