Sign in to follow this  
Justbass11

2003 Murcury XR6 150 not starting

Motor won't start up Plus....When I start up the motor it will crank up for maybe about 10 seconds at the most but that is it. Plus the motor doesn't want to peeeeee. A friend thinks it might be the water pump. Now I did look on youtub about maybe doing this myself and just going a replacing the small fuel lines. Or should I just take it to a shop and have them look at it and pay the price. By the way....about the price what would I be looking to to pay to have this done??? Any thoughts???

Take it somewhere. Water pump won't make it not start. More than likely a fuel issue and you don't want to try to fix it your self and run it with fuel issues. It never leads to a good thing. 

• Like 1

How old is the fuel?  You can try the simple stuff like trying fresh fuel, changing fuel lines and spark plugs, but I quit doing the shade tree mechanic thing years ago when computers started controlling the engines.  Much too complicated unless you have the expertise and a diagnostic computer to identify problems.

• Like 1

It could be a number of things from bad fuel, bad fuel lines,  fuel filter is clogged, carbs need rebuilt, and the list goes on.   Its not your water pump but if you haven't replaced it in the past couple years you should definitely get that done. If you don't know how to do it yourself they shop will charge you around $200 give or take to do it for you and fuel lines will be around 300 sometimes even more .  Carb rebuild is pricey too.

Check the small stuff first before you take it to a shop. Empty out the tank and put fresh gas in it. Run some seafoam through the engine. Make sure fuel filter is clean. Make sure all the hoses are secure and not letting any air in. Make sure the primer bulb is staying hard after you pump it. 

• Like 1

If they charge more then $20 for parts and an hour labor, look somewhere else for service

20 for parts and an hour for labor? Not sure the meaning of that. 4 feet of good fuel line to replace from the tank to the motor cost more than 20$. An impeller kit is probably 60-70$ 

$20 for parts and one hour labor????

Not sure what part the world you live in, but it's not any place I'm familiar with.  Most places in my part of the world want in the neighborhood of $100 plus or minus some, just for an hours labor.

Justbass11.  Going by your descriptions, I get the impression you are not extremely versed on outboard motors.  If you are not very mechanically inclined, you can screw up way more dollars worth of stuff on one trying to do stuff yourself than you could ever hope to save. 

I hate to say it, but you have to have deep pockets to take an outboard motor to the shop for repair, but that can still be cheaper than attempting to repair it yourself and screw things up, or spend a bunch of money just throwing parts at it, and none of it being the cause of your problem.

• Like 1

I have the same engine on my boat.

The keys to starting my xr6:

1.  Trim engine to a level position

2.  Prime fuel line bulb until firm

3.  Turn key to start position, but not start it.  Then press the key in for 5-10 seconds.  This enriches the engine with fuel for starting.  

4.  Put the engine in fast idle (not in gear).  DO NOT START WIDE OPEN.  I open mine about 1/8 of the way open.  

5.  Start the engine.  Typically mine doesn't start the first time, so I listen to how it is starting.  If it is trying to turn over, it needs gas, so repeat step 3-5 until it starts again.  

5.  If when trying to start it, and it floods, trim the engine up and wait 30 seconds and repeat steps 1-5.

Make sure you have good spark plugs and also good gas.  Also make sure you have a good battery.

Cold starts are notorious on this engine.  Please refer to the 2.5L Mercury forum on bbcforums if you have more questions.  There is a guy by the name of Don from European Marine that is a freakin Merc Wizard!