Poolshark

Best rod for Fat ikas

I have been catching a lot of fish with these lately. I was wondering what type of rods and line you've been throwing them on to get the best hook up ratio. 

7' MF spinning rod

:fishing-026:

I've been using a 7' 3" MH/F Daiwa Cronos with an Alphas SV spooled with 14 lb Sniper. It's worked great so far but I have thrown them on M/F Spinning and Casting rods as well with good results. 

54 minutes ago, roadwarrior said:

7' MF spinning rod

:fishing-026:

Road Warrier

How to you normally fish these on the MF spinning rod? Weightless with a 5/0 hook (or is that too big of a hook)

Nvm..found it.

4/0 EWG Offset Worm Hook. I fish Gamakatsu, Trokar and  XPoint.

Medium/x-fast spinning rod and it's shorter than most use nowadays. .. it's 6'3". I had it built because I like to skip docks and trees so much with ikas and other baits.

6'8" medium, xf spinning rod with 20lb braid and 3/0-5/0 ewg.  

Surprising how many use spinning gear.  I use a 7'3" MHF casting rod for Ika's, same basic rod I would use for Senkos or finesse jigs.

• Like 1

My Cumara 7'2" MHF that I believe was listed as a Fat Ika/Senko rod when in production.  Currently has 12# mono on an older model Fuego.  Not sure what will go on it the next time it needs a line change.  Will have to see what the majority on this thread feel works best and maybe give that a shot.

• Like 1

I use mh/xf casting gear and 14lb fluoro.  I don't know what they weigh, but they are pretty heavy.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Yudo1 said:

I use mh/xf casting gear and 14lb fluoro.  I don't know what they weigh, but they are pretty heavy.

FAT IKA  10.91 grams    0.384 ounces :thumbsup_blue:

Water and Cover tends to dictate what rod I use. Shallow, Weeds, grass and stumps I go with a medium heavy.  Deeper Open water a medium fast spinning rod.

7 hours ago, QUAKEnSHAKE said:

FAT IKA  10.91 grams    0.384 ounces :thumbsup_blue:

And cast like a bullet.  :D

14 hours ago, new2BC4bass said:

My Cumara 7'2" MHF that I believe was listed as a Fat Ika/Senko rod when in production.  Currently has 12# mono on an older model Fuego.  Not sure what will go on it the next time it needs a line change.  Will have to see what the majority on this thread feel works best and maybe give that a shot.

The old black Cumara 7'2" MHF is my favorite Ika rod. The Dobyns DX743C (my current Senko/Ika rod) is also excellent.

im surprised to see so many spinning setups for this. I use a 7'1" medium XF spinning rod (glx 852s) with 8-10lb FC any time I can get away with it.