ChrisD46

Top Water : Clear Water Equals Faster Retrieve ?

In general , if you have clear water (4 to 5 feet visibility) do you go with a faster retrieve for top water baits plus use translucent colors (even clear !) so bass don't get a real good look at the lure ? ... What has worked best for you regarding clear water , retrieve speed and lure colors ? ... Thanks in advance !

I don't relate water clarity to retrieve. I start fast, and slow down if I don't get bit.

• Like 4

Trail and error. If the bass are chasing Threadfin Shad a faster retreive works and so does a dying struggling baitfish retreive.

Tom

• Like 2

Would you say then  that using translucent colors in clear water is a better generalization than retrieve speed  ?

Nope.  Most often, I throw what I think would look pretty to the fish.  Some days colors really do matter, but then again, it's already a tough bite at that point.

I use Splash-it in baby bass, assasin Shad and bone, 2 are solid and assasin Shad is transparent. 

Larger Sammy/Vixen type dog walkers are solid shad colors.

Try to match the baitfish is usually a good starting point.

Tom

2 hours ago, ChrisD46 said:

In general , if you have clear water (4 to 5 feet visibility) do you go with a faster retrieve for top water baits plus use translucent colors (even clear !) so bass don't get a real good look at the lure ? ... What has worked best for you regarding clear water , retrieve speed and lure colors ? ... Thanks in advance !

1.- No

2.- No

3.- It depends, there are days that I let the bait sit and sit and sit and kick myself in the rear end to remind me of letting the bait sit just a little bit more before making it move and other days the situation is the opposite.

• Like 1

I like to use translucents and metallics in really clear water, or something that matches the substrate. But this may be more me than the fish. I felt, long ago, that I did better with translucent soft plastics under high vis conditions, and have stuck with that (mostly) ever since.

In any water I use Chrome or shiny colors on bait fish imitating baits when it's sunny, and opaque colors when it's cloudy. Usually the only time I use translucent colors is in ultra clear water

I do just the opposite of J F.  I start slow and speed up if I'm not getting any reaction.  Sometimes giving the fish a good look at your bait is a good thing, but like others, I switch up speed prior to changing color. When I really think about it, I'll change the size or type of bait before even considering color. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, papajoe222 said:

I do just the opposite of J F.  I start slow and speed up if I'm not getting any reaction.  Sometimes giving the fish a good look at your bait is a good thing, but like others, I switch up speed prior to changing color. When I really think about it, I'll change the size or type of bait before even considering color. 

Pretty much six-of-one, or a half-dozen-of-another.

I typically start fast, and high in the water column.  Then I slow down, move lower.

When searching I too start fast and high , and then slow down and/or more bottom or cover oriented. If they'll respond to fast then... great! It being fall now I'm expecting aggressive fish so I often start with a buzzer and a burned lipless. If they respond I can pile up some fish pretty quick. In the small waters I'm fishing I know where they are so if they don't respond, I adjust retrieves (triggering) and then slow down and dredge em up. I can usually come up with something. But "times a wastin'" if I can instead move fast and they'll move with me.

• Like 1

Wind is your friend when fishing TW in clear water.  A little chop helps to disguise the bait.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fisher-O-men said:

Wind is your friend when fishing TW in clear water.  A little chop helps to disguise the bait.

I always wonder about this.  Is it the chop, or is it stacking of warm, oxygenated water on the leeward shore, which tends to stimulate bait-fish activity.  It's probably a bit of both.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, J Francho said:

I always wonder about this.  Is it the chop, or is it stacking of warm, oxygenated water on the leeward shore, which tends to stimulate bait-fish activity.  It's probably a bit of both.

It can be both, or either, or... other stuff. A chop definitely can obscure the worst presentation offenses under high vis conditions, namely the lure flying overhead, loud splashdowns, line landing, ... . A chop obscures this stuff, and allows fish to feel safer about exposing themselves at the surface.

Many times a wind-ruffled surface has allowed me to pull out a little buzzbait and get smacked despite high skies and clear water. I carry a little 1/8oz white triple-wing for just this purpose. It's small enough to tuck into any box.

• Like 1

There's a lot of hard earned, Gold Medal Bass Fishing comments in this thread. The kind that can change an average day into something much better. 

For me, Clear water with no wind chop means I'm looking deeper; either deeper in depth or deeper into the available cover or both.

Once there's some wind I can usually get bit shallower, "around" cover & on or near the surface.

A-Jay

• Like 1

In all my observing, and video shooting now, I've found that bass are often still hunting under bright sun. (Prey capture success for those bass appears to be much lower though and they adjust accordingly). From the angler's side, I think that the heightened wariness factor under those conditions, particularly in shallow water, is under-appreciated by a lot of anglers.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Paul Roberts said:

(Prey capture success for those bass appears to be much lower though and they adjust accordingly).

This is where the whole "ambush areas" should come into the discussion.  Might be out of scope for the questions, though.  Something that is probably more important than whether there's chop or the water clarity, in bright sun.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2016 at 4:55 AM, papajoe222 said:

Ditto

I always start slow especially with a frog or spook. Then it's a fairly slow retrieve, just enough to get it walking. Then subsequent cast's I'll speed it up. Most times if they're in the neighborhood It won't get to that point. 

Mike 

On 9/22/2016 at 11:01 AM, J Francho said:

This is where the whole "ambush areas" should come into the discussion.  Might be out of scope for the questions, though.  Something that is probably more important than whether there's chop or the water clarity, in bright sun.

Yes, both the "ambush-type" behavior bass can employ, and the use of "ambush points" are very important. The latter is in play virtually all of the time, (as is "triggering"), and is often the difference between random catch rates and something better than random.

The difference, or problem, with clarity -or visibility- is that the fish are SO much spookier that we may not be able to make use of the others as well as we might otherwise, esp in shallow water where the majority of anglers like to fish. I've come to the recognize that, at least a chunk of the time, the reason we have to go to deeper water fish and denser cover/shade, (and chop), is bc of this spookiness. Mindless, broadcast chuck-n-wind can kill you on such days.

Bringing this back on the specific topic (always love when I can do that :) )... KVD has talked/written a lot about increasing speed in high vis conditions so as not to give the fish too good a look. Under such conditions nothing looks right to the fish, it seems. Now, he's certainly making good use of "ambush points", and triggering, too. And the surface film is the easiest one to find. It's just that the fish may not be willing to expose themselves. As you say, these last two and location/position stuff are the most important factors anytime. I am suggesting that visibility can crush a day of fishing if you are not vewwy vewwy careful, or better, catch some breaks along the way -like a good chop.

And... so some don't get the idea that inc speed is a cure-all for high vis conditions. No! It's just a tactic that can help. There are other more important things at involved, as John is alluding to.

25 minutes ago, Paul Roberts said:

I am suggesting that visibility can crush a day of fishing if you are not vewwy vewwy careful, or better, catch some breaks along the way -like a good chop.

Big, realistic swimbaits are bread and butter for this.  That is one case where I'll start slow, and get even slower.

55 minutes ago, J Francho said:

Big, realistic swimbaits are bread and butter for this.  That is one case where I'll start slow, and get even slower.

Curious, I've not fished big swimbaits -yet. Do you mean with chop, or without?

• Like 1

Whenever fish are skittish due to high visibility, so calm and clear water.

• Like 1