Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Robert Riley

New Bearings

Recommended Posts

So I cant for the life of me figure out what is wrong with my old BB1, so I guess I'll send it in to DVT and get it fixed. I saw that they'll add ABEC5/7 bearings for about $10 each. So I've got 10 bearings on my BB1... That's a lot of money for a bit longer of a cast lol. Is it really that much better? Considering that this BB1 is a few years old, and only costs me $110 for a new one, I'm questioning if it's even worth fixing in the first place too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Casting reels generally require two spool bearings. Other bearings are found throughout the reel like the handles, worm gear, etc. You will be out the cost of bearings, whatever you are charged for a cleaning/service if you want that and shipping there and back. If you just have him install bearings I would say do the work yourself if you are handy with reels. If memory serves me correct you will need a spool pin removal tool or spool pliers to remove one of the bearings on the spool.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Robert Riley said:

So I cant for the life of me figure out what is wrong with my old BB1, so I guess I'll send it in to DVT and get it fixed. I saw that they'll add ABEC5/7 bearings for about $10 each. So I've got 10 bearings on my BB1... That's a lot of money for a bit longer of a cast lol. Is it really that much better? Considering that this BB1 is a few years old, and only costs me $110 for a new one, I'm questioning if it's even worth fixing in the first place too.

All we would change is two spool bearings and even then, I'll clean and spin test the stockers to see what's to be gained. My suggestion would be to first invest the extra money in Super Tuning - $34 vs $22 for just a cleaning. Members get 10% off labor. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DVT, this is a good time to ask a question that has been on my mind since I had my Calcutta 100 ruined by a guy on line who "super tuned" reels.  I'm not suggesting that you would do anything like that, but my question is why does it make sense to super tune a reel when we (at least me) have to add friction to prevent backlashes?  Seems like if it's super tuned we just have to add more friction.  Please don't get me wrong; I'm just trying to clear up my logic on this.  Not doubting your work.  thanks

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My .02 is that you will find that you will require less braking after a good tune.  The reel will become much more consistent and predictable,  it will also require less effort on your part and you will be able to achieve the same results with a much smoother cast.

Just my .02

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Lews reels are fine in stock condition.

A general cleaning, oil and lube every 3 months is all that is needed. 

In my opinion anything more is a waste of money. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It also depends upon the internals and the reel itself. Some reels see absolutely no gains as there is very little if any to polish, while others it will make a slight difference.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, kickerfish1 said:

It also depends upon the internals and the reel itself. Some reels see absolutely no gains as there is very little if any to polish, while others it will make a slight difference.

Agreed. I've had reels that I could tell no difference after being supertuned. Then a reel like the 200B Curados that perform on a whole other level after being supertuned. 

I'd suggest sending them to DVT to get supertuned. I think you'll probably end up wanting to do it to more reels after you try it with the first one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On October 10, 2016 at 4:57 PM, MickD said:

DVT, this is a good time to ask a question that has been on my mind since I had my Calcutta 100 ruined by a guy on line who "super tuned" reels.  I'm not suggesting that you would do anything like that, but my question is why does it make sense to super tune a reel when we (at least me) have to add friction to prevent backlashes?  Seems like if it's super tuned we just have to add more friction.  Please don't get me wrong; I'm just trying to clear up my logic on this.  Not doubting your work.  thanks

Mick,

IMO the main advantage of Super Tuning (or other steps to improve free spool) is that the easier startup leads to better accuracy. In some instances there can be distance improvement as well but that's icing on the cake. Some shops charge to tune free floating spool models (Daiwa, Revos etc) but there's nothing to be gained there as the friction points are taken out of play. When done properly the reel is actually easier to control as it requires less applied force to get started.  A lot of the things we discuss on the forum could be, and often are, seen as frivolous but it's fun and just needs to be kept in perspective. I see a lot of people blowing the advantages of Super Tuning way out of proportion. I don't want to be "that guy"   I'm glad to speak with anyone about their specific circumstances and goals and offer recommendations based on that . PM, email and calls are all welcomed. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I send my reels to Lews for service. 

Just recently Garrett and Mike serviced two of my Tournament Pro reels. Came back better than new. 

Unfortunately I've had two bad experiences with service techs. I'll stick with the Lews company tech service. It's usually a 14 day wait time from date I ship til date returned. That's reasonable. Communication is excellent!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/9/2016 at 5:40 PM, Robert Riley said:

So I cant for the life of me figure out what is wrong with my old BB1

Maybe I missed it somewhere but have you asked for assistance here in the forums to try and work out the issue? All my Lew's reels have been great. The one I thought I had a issue with was not the reel. It was me the operator. 

If you haven't asked for assistance maybe explain what rod you have it on, the baits your throwing, the conditions windy etc., what its doing or not doing correctly and possibly someone could help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, DVT, much appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing rods

    fishing rods


    fishing rods

    fishing reels
    fishing gear

    Truck Caps

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×