Why?  The 760 is 3/8 oz, and 770 1/4 oz.  Those aren't what I'd call ultra light lures.  If yo have trouble throwing them on a medium power casting rod, any medium power spinning rod will do.  I prefer shorter rods with short rear grips for poppers.

• Like 1

I throw the 1/4 oz size on a medium 6'6'' spinning rod with no problem.  I'm sure that even the small 3/16 oz size could be thrown on a medium power rod without too much effort.

Reason I ask is I found one In my brothers old tacklebox and it's the small 3/16 size and I can cast it on my medium spinning rod but I think better distance can be achieved than what I'm getting I'm using 6pld spiderwire ultracast what do u think I can do to somewhat put this lure to better use

Poppers in general, if they are tiny - absolutely!  Hula poppers in general, no.  I like light line fishing, but even then its usually on a medium-light not ultra.  The setup just doesn't match well with a small ultra-light rod, IMO.  Can you?  Sure... but I wouldn't.

3 minutes ago, Fish yeeter said:

Reason I ask is I found one In my brothers old tacklebox and it's the small 3/16 size and I can cast it on my medium spinning rod but I think better distance can be achieved than what I'm getting I'm using 6pld spiderwire ultracast what do u think I can do to somewhat put this lure to better use

If it's a 3/16, sure... you could.  I suspect you would probably enjoy it more off a slow, 6 1/2 to 7 foot light to med-light action rod.  You would be surprised how much of a difference in casting distance a rod makes.  Especially with 4-6 lb line. Having said that, if you have an ultra-light, and want to fling it with out getting a new rod --- ultra light it is!  :-)

I used to fish the "midget" Hula Popper -with a single ~#10 treble- on UL years ago. Has a lot of fun catching a lot of "midget" bass on it. Arbogast also made the "Fly Rod" Hula Popper, with a ~#4 single hook.

Hook size, as well as lure weight, are the most important considerations.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, J Francho said:

Why?  The 760 is 3/8 oz, and 770 1/4 oz.  Those aren't what I'd call ultra light lures.  If yo have trouble throwing them on a medium power casting rod, any medium power spinning rod will do.  I prefer shorter rods with short rear grips for poppers.

I'm exactly the opposite with top water on rod length.  I do much better with a longer, more flexible rod.  I think that it's probably me  wanting to set the hook too soon, but it works out lol.  However, if I'm tossing stuff like spinnerbaits, I like a shorter, stiffer, rod.

Just now, Paul Roberts said:

I used to fish the "midget" Hula Popper -with a single ~#10 treble- on UL years ago. Caught a lot of "midget" bass on it. Arbogast also made the "Fly Rod" Hula Popper, with a ~#4 single hook.

Hook size, as well as lure weight, are the most important considerations.

This:  Hook size, as well as lure weight, are the most important considerations.

Same story with Heddons Teeny Torpedos.  Work great on very light gear.  I think they weigh 1/8.

I prefer not to waste energy with side pops, and twitch straight down.  An e-fast taper recovers quicker, and the shorter length gives you more precise control over the bait.It's a preference I've developed over years of using spooks, poppers, jerk/slash -baits, where a tip down presentation is the rule.  I use an Avid AVC62MXF.  It's nearly as long as any 6-8 rod if you line up the reel seats, but the rear grip is much shorter.

• Like 1

I'm going to go off the rails here a little bit and say that there's something awesome about catching a 5 lbs. bass on an ultra light.  I switched to real bass gear about 17 years ago only after losing two PB's in a day.  Every once in while, I dust off the old UL and tie on a something way too big, set the drag, and hold on.

• Like 1

Yeah ul is fun I recently sight fished a carp it hit a ul raphal(weird ik) but he sucked it up and I set the hook it was super fun ended up being a 6pld carp it took me 14 mins to get him in I timed it lol 

5 minutes ago, MassYak85 said:

Have I done it....yes. Is it my ideal choice for that lure, no. 

Yeah I figured I haven't tryed it yet just hit me as a possibility but wanted to ask before I did so I didn't look like a butt head on the water 

5 hours ago, Fish yeeter said:

Yeah I figured I haven't tryed it yet just hit me as a possibility but wanted to ask before I did so I didn't look like a butt head on the water 

Before I really started getting into bass fishing, most of my fishing was done on a 5 foot ultra light ugly stick....so it's definitely a possibility. But if you have the choice there is better gear for that technique/lure. 

I used to fish the small sized Hula popper that had the single belly hook on a ultra light and caught a ton of bass and sunfish with it, even some really nice bass. Now Rebel has their single, barbless hooked poppers that are perfect for ultralight fishing. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bluebasser86 said:

I used to fish the small sized Hula popper that had the single belly hook on a ultra light and caught a ton of bass and sunfish with it, even some really nice bass. Now Rebel has their single, barbless hooked poppers that are perfect for ultralight fishing. 

so it sounds that the rebel is usable for panfish too I'm huge on panfish also

I have tried a bunch of the Rebel single hook UL lures and it seems like the QC for them is all over the place. Some will work perfectly while others of the same type will be totally devoid of action, or float on their sides.  

When they work they are a blast to fish with, I have a little Plano 3500 box full of UL hard baits.  I use them for perch/pickerel in brackish water and sunfish and small bass in little freshwater streams.  

9 minutes ago, Bunnielab said:

I have tried a bunch of the Rebel single hook UL lures and it seems like the QC for them is all over the place. Some will work perfectly while others of the same type will be totally devoid of action, or float on their sides.  

When they work they are a blast to fish with, I have a little Plano 3500 box full of UL hard baits.  I use them for perch/pickerel in brackish water and sunfish and small bass in little freshwater streams.  

This is the tackle box I bring for panfishing i like to try different unconventional things sometimes 

IMG_0679.JPG

3 hours ago, Fish yeeter said:

so it sounds that the rebel is usable for panfish too I'm huge on panfish also

That's primarily what I use them for, green sunfish in particular . 

So is this about bass fishing, or panfish?  Should I move it to the other species forum?  Otherwise, let's try to stay on topic of bass fishing.  Up to you. ;)

Sry my B I just found out this morning that there's a other species section u should probably put it there.

20 minutes ago, J Francho said:

So is this about bass fishing, or panfish?  Should I move it to the other species forum?  Otherwise, let's try to stay on topic of bass fishing.  Up to you. ;)

Kinda new only 3 days old and I have been navigating with my phone which doesn't help

Ask away, man.  That's what we're here for.  I agree, if you aren't already totally familiar with all the forums and sub-forums, the mobile site can be confusing.  If you're on a thread, keep hitting the green button on the upper left to get all the way back to "Bass Fishing Forums."  that's the forum home page with everything listed.