Swbass15

Need some or a lot of input.

So I'm looking at putting together a new combo for next year. I need a good set up fo a jerkbait rod and reel, but I would like to be a able to put the rod to use if they aren't producing. So the input I need is what else could I use the set up for, and need some help picking a rod and reel. I'm only 5'8" so a real long rod in my opinion is out of the question, I'm thinking something in the 6' range? Currently I'm looking at St Criox legend tournament rod. Reel I haven't decided yet but I own a bunch of pro qualifiers already and like them, but my thought was to find a lighter reel to pair up with. There is a brand I'm looking at but can't post it which sucks cause I want input on them but understand so I'll look elsewhere for that.

So feed up your knowledge I'm open to all possibilities but want to say I want to keep the combo under 500 if possible, don't want my wife to kill me in my sleep!!

If you're looking at the LTB rods, the 6' 8" M/F "jerkbait" rod would make a good rod for walk the dog baits, and would probably also be good for things like senkos, flukes, and smaller spinnerbaits. 

I'm 5'6" and use a 6'6" M Duckett Terex. I have on it a Duckett 300 in 7.1:1, and it's a solid combo.

Any rod between 6'3"-6'10", Medium Power, with a Fast or XF action would be a great jerkbait rod. Fast action to get your bait to react to your twitches, Medium power as to not tear the hooks out under a fight.

When the water warms up and the jerkbait bite slows, spool up with mono or 40lb braid and turn your new combo into your topwater set-up. Any good jerkbait rod also excels at throwing most topwaters up to about a super spook. 

Reel wise, You want something that'll pick-up slack quickly, as both jerkbaiting and topwaters leave slack in your line. For this reason, you'll want as fast a gear ratio you can get. Anything between 7.1-8.3:1 will do wonders for both techniques.

brand doesn't matter too much. I'm a fan of Duckett Rods and Lews Reels. That's just my preference.

Hope this helps.

If you're looking at staying with the LTB series, I'd go with the 6'8" M/F jerkbait rod. It'll be a great blank for topwaters too as well as smaller paddle tail swimbaits, light or weightless Texas rigs as well as other techniques that a MH would be overpowering. 

I use an Avid AVC62MXF.  Also works for topwaters like spooks, sammys, and poppers.  Makes a great sniper style spinnerbait rod too.  It's basically 6-6 rod, with a shorter rear grip.

Thanks I appreciate the input. I need a jerkbait set up and I like some of the applications you guys said I could double up with it! Much appreciated!!!!