Jump to content
CybrSlydr

Got the itch, want to go fishing tomorrow - good idea?

Recommended Posts

Haven't been fishing for a while and I've got the itch.  I'd like to head back to Dow Lake over in Athens and try our luck again with some early afternoon shore fishing.

Here's the weather report from weather.com

Intervals of clouds and sunshine. High 44F. Winds light and variable.

Wind WNW 5 mph

Humidity 70%

UV Index 2 of 10

Sun 7:31 am 5:04 pm

Is it going to be too cold to go fishing?  Would we be wasting the hour-ish drive there?  We've got a really nice fishing shop on the way - what kind of baits/lures do you think we should give a shot? 

Appreciate the assistance folks.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to try and get out in similar conditions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't been catching any bass from shore.. I've been using my kayak and barely catching them... in about 15fow with a small 1/8 oz jig. I've tried spoons and bladed jigs and jerkbaits and got nothing lately. the small jig with a slow action trailer is all that's produced bites for me.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Yeajray231 said:

I haven't been catching any bass from shore.. I've been using my kayak and barely catching them... in about 15fow with a small 1/8 oz jig. I've tried spoons and bladed jigs and got nothing. the small jig with a slow action trailer is all that's produced bites for me.. 

If you've seen my reports in the reports forum you'll notice that we've not caught a d**n thing all year.  lol  Summer was too hot, winter will be too cold...  We just suck at fishing I guess.  lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How far are you from Wilmington. Or Mason/Lebanon , waynesville or Xenia. Those are my main spots 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're down by Marietta - Athens is about an hour West of us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BassObsessed said:

If it's not frozen it's not too cold to fish.B)

From what I'm reading, when it gets cold like this fish move deeper and suspend - when you're stuck on the bank, there's no way you can possibly reach those fish that are 20+ deep.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be a tough go from shore, but you can't win if you don't play. If it were me I would bomb a tube or TRD rig as far out as I could and drag it super slow back to shore if weeds aren't an issue. When you think you're dragging it slow enough, slow down more, each cast should take more than 2 minuets to retrieve.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, CybrSlydr said:

From what I'm reading, when it gets cold like this fish move deeper and suspend - when you're stuck on the bank, there's no way you can possibly reach those fish that are 20+ deep.

You never know when a bass will pull up to feed. But I would not advise winter fishing if you didn't do well when it was warm. The bites are often few and far between, it is very rewarding however to pull a bass from ice cold water.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, everythingthatswims said:

You never know when a bass will pull up to feed. But I would not advise winter fishing if you didn't do well when it was warm. The bites are often few and far between, it is very rewarding however to pull a bass from ice cold water.

Caught 4 fish all year (been fishing since late June).  Caught 1 catfish on a Bomber crank, caught a small LMB on a Bomber Long A, caught another small LMB on a drop-shot senko and caught another small LMB on a Zoom Super Fluke swimbait.

 

So, my rod says 1/4-3/8oz - to cast far, should I be looking at 1/4-1/2oz mushroom jigs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No need to get to the lake too soon.  You should do better as the sun beats down and it warms a little.  Afternoon may be better then morning.   Next thing is slow way down, and use a light weight so they see it slow fall through the water column.  A subspended bass may hit it on the fall.  Note how deep the bait was on the hit.  Give them time to swim over and study the bait.  Settle small movement may draw a bite.  Take your time and enjoy nature!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You never know if they are biting unless you go. If the fish are deep,  I'd throw a senko, but then again I would always throw a senko :thumbsup:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look for areas near the shoreline where the water drops sharply. Not only does it give you access to deep water from shore, but those are areas that are very likely to hold bass during the cold water months anyways. Bass sit on those deep drops and pull up near shore to feed for short spurts. Bonus points if it's a rocky shoreline and even better if it's on a side of the lake the sun has been hitting for a few hours. I've had good success fishing during the winter from shore dragging soft plastics and fishing suspending jerkbaits. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shallow warms first....think of a two glasses of water sitting in the sun.  One with a inch of water and the other half full.  Guess which one warms first!  Anyway...not all fish go shallow but some fish are shallow all year.  Just gotta find em.  Good luck

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, CybrSlydr said:

Haven't been fishing for a while and I've got the itch.  I'd like to head back to Dow Lake over in Athens and try our luck again with some early afternoon shore fishing.

Here's the weather report from weather.com

Intervals of clouds and sunshine. High 44F. Winds light and variable.

Wind WNW 5 mph

Humidity 70%

UV Index 2 of 10

Sun 7:31 am 5:04 pm

Is it going to be too cold to go fishing?  Would we be wasting the hour-ish drive there?  We've got a really nice fishing shop on the way - what kind of baits/lures do you think we should give a shot? 

Appreciate the assistance folks.  :)

Hell, unless it's raining/snowing..........the only thing better then going fishing tomorrow..........is going fishing today..........

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All the reference to sun warming shallows up is moot in your case.  That UV index indicates that. Any time you can go fishing and not freeze your fanny off is a good time.  The advice to fish slow is the key.  I'm in central IN and it's too cold for me.  This is when I start dreaming and spending money on gear.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Bassman said:

All the reference to sun warming shallows up is moot in your case.  That UV index indicates that. Any time you can go fishing and not freeze your fanny off is a good time.  The advice to fish slow is the key.  I'm in central IN and it's too cold for me.  This is when I start dreaming and spending money on gear.

I was thinking the same thing with the UV index, supposed to be quite overcast for most of the day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes go fishing and dress warm in layers. If you can fish a LC pointer 78 in sexy Shad and a blade bait. Silver if sunny gold if cloudy. Go with the attitude that you will catch something. Cover ground and cast the heck out of those 2 lures. If there are any fish in the lake you will catch something. I'm fishing tomorrow also and every time I catch a fish I will say to myself I hope that guy in Ohio in doing what I'm doing. ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I have some good news folks.  :)

Stopped off at Hornbecks on the way to Dow Lake and picked up some 1/10th oz Zman Ned Rig weedless jigheads and two packs of Zman TRD Ned baits. 

I didn't quite get the bait on the hook correctly (it was bent rather than straight) but it cast decently.  They've lowered the lake level for the winter by about 6-10ft it looks like.

Quite muddy and chilly as well as overcast - we didn't figure we'd stay long as we figured we'd not have much luck.

Started off on this now grounded floating pier where folks disembark from boats to walk over to the ramp.  No luck.  So we moved down to this point that we fished from last time and got about 5ft from the waterline - nothing but mud.

Just as I was about to call it quits, I got a bite.

30590216053_1711c775f7_b.jpg

Not much but after a summer of next to no luck (my brother STILL hasn't caught a fish), it was great to finally reel in another.

I did just like you folks said - reeled it nice and slow.  Felt a bit bad for the guy as he hit that bait hard - the weedless -prongs?- were right near his eye so every time I tried to work the hook out I nearly gouged him.  Finally got the hook out, bro took the pic and I put 'em back where he promptly swam off at light-speed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You caught one more than I did today.  You have to wet a line to produce.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×