Collin W

Unhooking Frogs

I have recently gotten into frog fishing, a nessesity in the approaching summer months. What I did notice is the hooks on the frog look like a pain to get out of the bass's mouth. Does anyone have any tips to get frog hooks out? I don't want to sacrifice my hook up ratio and I don't want to ruin any frogs. Thanks!

When you set the hook, the frog usually rotates out of the way on the hook.  At least, that's what is supposed to happen.  Just grab the hook and rotate it back out.  They're heavy gauge hooks, and large.  No pliers or tools are necessary, unless a very large bass takes it deep.

If you're frog fishing and put hooks in the frog you'll most likely kill the frog. ?

You just gave me an idea FrogResource.com "The ultimate frog fishing resource guide" 

4 minutes ago, J Francho said:

When you set the hook, the frog usually rotates out of the way on the hook.  At least, that's what is supposed to happen.  Just grab the hook and rotate it back out.  They're heavy gauge hooks, and large.  No pliers or tools are necessary, unless a very large bass takes it deep.

Years and stiff fingers will make you use the pliers more;)

• Like 1

I hear ya, man.  I'm 45, been playing drums for 37 of those years, and there's some things I can't do anymore.

• Like 1

Thanks so much! I feel more confident now! 

• Like 1

Frogs; hollow body with double hook or solid body toads with single hook?

Tom

1 hour ago, 12poundbass said:

If you're frog fishing and put hooks in the frog you'll most likely kill the frog. ?

You just gave me an idea FrogResource.com "The ultimate frog fishing resource guide" 

used a Zoom super salty tube this weekend, site frog fishing on top of the weeds apparently.  Pull him up on top of the bridge rail and just let him hang out.  jumps a couple of times and I pull him back up.  last time, he opens his mouth and jumps back in the pond. hook never moved from the way I had it rigged, never hooked him.  didn't quite have the blowup and excitement I was expecting to see from topwater frog.

• Like 1