Jump to content
greentrout

'Monster' catfish reeled in by California fisherman

Recommended Posts

if I'm not mistaken(looks to be same fish), "TacticalBassin" channel on youtube has a video of them documenting the evidence for the all-tackle length record for channel catfish. Didn't realize they were in California 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bluebasser86 said:

 

I saw the Tactical Bassin' video and thought the same thing.  It's shy of 3'.  I've seen plenty of 30"+ channel cats come out of the north branch of the Susquehanna, some likely well over 20lbs.  Not sure if this is a case of people just not filing for records, or the length record being a new thing to encourage catch and release fishing, but I would be shocked if this fish was a legit world record. Still, that is one huge channel cat.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The IGFA website lists the All Tackle Length Record for channel catfish as 80 cm (about 31.5 inches).  It also lists the All Tackle Length Record for largemouth bass as 65 cm (about 25.6 inches).  Length records are somewhat new, so many people probably don't even know about it.  For example, I'm sure many people in Florida catch LM bass that are over 26 inches. 

Check it out at wrec.igfa.org (hopefully that's not a forbidden website).  I am not an IGFA member and it let me use option 1.  You can choose All Tackle or All Tackle Length Record.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I live on the Red River and 30+ inch channel cats are fairly common.  I fish cats maybe once  a year and I have caught a couple 30+ in my lifetime.  The guys around here (Grand Forks) that are catfish guys catch many many cats over 30. Bluebasser86 is correct, the farther north you go, the bigger they get.  I work with a guy who goes to Manitoba a couple times a year and usually cathes a dozen or more over 30inches in the 20-30lb. range.  I am not a catguy, but the few times I have gone it is fun.  That is an awesome fish that guy caught!!!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2017 at 4:45 AM, BASS302 said:

The IGFA website lists the All Tackle Length Record for channel catfish as 80 cm (about 31.5 inches).  It also lists the All Tackle Length Record for largemouth bass as 65 cm (about 25.6 inches).  Length records are somewhat new, so many people probably don't even know about it.  For example, I'm sure many people in Florida catch LM bass that are over 26 inches. 

Check it out at wrec.igfa.org (hopefully that's not a forbidden website).  I am not an IGFA member and it let me use option 1.  You can choose All Tackle or All Tackle Length Record.

 

 

Lots of people have caught largemouth bass over 26 inches and channel catfish over 32 inches, I am one of them.I do not plan on ever submitting a length record and rather submit a weight record as long as I can release the fish and not kill it.

On 7/13/2017 at 1:31 AM, Bluebasser86 said:

 

You are right, they catch +20 pound channel catfish up north all the time. These are trophy channel catfish for sure, but nowhere near world record size.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, soflabasser said:

 

 

You are right, they catch +20 pound channel catfish up north all the time. These are trophy channel catfish for sure, but nowhere near world record size.

Maybe not in weight, but length they would be for sure. Catfish is one of the only thing that grows big here. They have to be 33" just to get a state master angler certificate in Kansas. I've caught a few I'm positive were longer than that, but didn't know there was length records, doubt I'd bother submitting a length record anyways. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Case in point, a new state record for New York, 38.25" long would beat this fish by over 3", but he probably had no idea length records existed.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/press/110108.html

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/17/2017 at 11:25 PM, Bluebasser86 said:

Maybe not in weight, but length they would be for sure. Catfish is one of the only thing that grows big here. They have to be 33" just to get a state master angler certificate in Kansas. I've caught a few I'm positive were longer than that, but didn't know there was length records, doubt I'd bother submitting a length record anyways. 

 

  A 33'' channel catfish is a beauty by most if not every catfisherman's standards. They rarely get that big where I live ( Miami Dade County, Florida), but I have caught some monster channel catfish in South Florida. Biggest one I caught was a little over 34 inches long and 22 pounds on a digital scale.A 25 inch and above channel catfish is enough to earn you a channel catfish fishing citation in the state of Florida, so my 34 incher is one of my favorite freshwater catches.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait, 31.5 inches is the world record?  Heck, I have already caught three this year that beat that.  Biggest so far is a 34 incher, I am definitely going to try an submit my next one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing rods

    fishing rods


    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    bass fish

    fishing poles

    Truck Caps

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×