Wingman87

Curado 70+ light baits

For all you guys that own a curado 70 what would you say is the minimum lure weight it could throw. I keep a weightless senko tied up at all times and its one of my favorite baits to throw. The reel I use for my weightless setup right now is capable but I'm looking for something different and a little better for lighter baits.

The lightest I have easily went so far is a 1/20 oz jighead with 2.75" TRD ned rig toal weight of around .1969oz.   A 5" senko weighs around .364oz.

1 hour ago, QUAKEnSHAKE said:

The lightest I have easily went so far is a 1/20 oz jighead with 2.75" TRD ned rig toal weight of around .1969oz.   A 5" senko weighs around .364oz.

Thanks for the input, I've got it narrowed down to the curado 70 and tha tatula sv. 

I don't like curado 70 for light weight stuff. The lightest would be 1/15 jig head plus TRD. I find that with that light weight on curado I always get some over run. If I do bomb cast I don't really have problem only when pitch or short cast. It might be that my rod 1/8-3/8 lure weight is still too stiff. 

For light weight I always turn to daiwa sv105. I can cast weightless 4-5" roboworm with this reel no problem. 

It is not just the reel also rod is important for light weight stuff, I just got myself some Light BFS and ML 1/8-1/4oz lure weight.

My buddy usually uses it for flipping and pitching based on its size, but I was throwing 4 inch senkos a country mile when paired with a M/XF GLX.  Think the rod has more to do with it.

From what I have read, a 5" Senko weighs about 3/8 oz. or slightly more.  One guy weighed his at .4 oz.  You should have absolutely no problem throwing that weight with any baitcast reel made today.

• Like 2

With a 70XG, I can cast an weighted hook with a small tube- total about 1/8 oz. around 30-34 yards (measured by my son in the yard). Rod is an E6x Inshore M/Mod Fast. Not totally bombing it, was looking for consistency with good, natural form (and no backlashes).

6 hours ago, Wingman87 said:

Thanks for the input, I've got it narrowed down to the curado 70 and tha tatula sv. 

Have you seen this video skip to 15:33 to 20:00 for results of test and comments about the control each reel had with the weight.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, QUAKEnSHAKE said:

Have you seen this video skip to 15:33 to 20:00 for results of test and comments about the control each reel had with the weight.

Awesome, don't know how I missed this video

• Like 1

All my Curados (G, I, 71- and I have seven Curados including three 71s) can cast baits down to 3/16 oz (true weight) just fine, paired with the right rod.

I don't have a need to fish baits smaller than that.

I think you'll be fine with most 200 size or smaller reels.

P.S. Low (almost enough to remove side to side play) spool tension and 50% or higher (depending on how aerodynamic the bait is) braking.

Watch the video again and you will see the guy incorrectly setup the Tatule SV. It is an easy mistake since they need to be setup very differently than other reels.  The factory  says to adjust the spool tension until the spool has a bit of sde play. If you do that the lure will seem to drop way too fast but that is how they are properly set. The movement of the inductor in and out of the magnetic field will compensate and avoid the backlash while allowing maximum distance.