Rodney Smith

Dobyns DC 704CB GLASS for top water and jerkbaits

I am currently using a 7 medium power rod (ALX Dream) for throwing Megabass PopMax, Sammies, Gunfish, and moving baits. It works well, but I am wondering if a Dobyns DC 704CB GLASS or a similar rod from another manufacturer would be better suited for these techniques. I will also throw Vision 110's on this rod.

Presenting jerkbaits on a glass rod will end up being problematic.

Where this material is great for maintaining a nice bend during a fight to assist in keeping fish hooked, this very characteristic will adversely affect ones ability to 'work' the bait.    Rather than being able to get those short and oh so effective twitches down the line & to the bait, a glass stick will absorb the vast majority of that resulting in something less that optimum bait movement. 

Stick to graphite for jerkbaits - you'll be glad you did.

A-Jay

• Like 3

I agree with A-Jay, skip the glass and get the Champion 704cb. I use it for vision 110's and can throw 1/2 ounce top waters with ease. 

• Like 1

Would the 704CB be a better rod for the top water and jerk baits than my ALX Dream (medium action, fast tip)?

For those baits, I prefer a shorter, medium power X-fast taper.  I want precise control over the bait, and a fast recovery from twitches, pops, and sweeps.  I also want my rod as close to 90° to the line out, and a 7' rod is no bueno for that.  I use an Avid 6'2" MXF (AVC62MXF) for this.

• Like 1

I agree with both A-Jay and DubyaDee.  I'm using the 704CB for jerkbaits and most of my topwater baits.  I'm also using a AVID-X AXS66MF for smaller topwater baits and a AVID AVC66MHF for larger topwater baits.

I'll add that I had the fury 705cb model. It was just about right on power but the taper was too soft for me. I don't know anything about alx rods 'heard good things' though. I'd say you very well could already have a good rod for those techniques and don't need to buy something else.  

The ALX Dream is a 3 power rod and shouldn't be compared to 4 power or MH rods. Dobyns high series rods have very similar power ratings to ALX top series rods. Crank bait rods are moderate fast action rod, not fast action, basically you are trying to compare apples to oranges.

I know Don Iovino is coming out with a specific rod designed for the lures and presentations you are asking about, 6'10" mod/fast Majorcraft rod.

Tom

• Like 1