Fishinthefish

Im considering buying my first diawa

Hello friends. Those thatve seen me around may notice Ive been until recently a die hard shimano guy. But im consdering buying my first Diawa. Im looking at the new diawa steez sv tw. Im having a rod built for me by Mike at DVT in the next few weeks for 3/8ths jigs and 1/2 oz spinnerbaits on a rainshadow eternity blank. Would the diawa steez compliment the rod well for my purpose? Or is there a megabass reel out there im unaware of that would work better. Thanks for the input guys. Appreciate yall. It should be noted if you talk me out of a diawa or a megabass Ill be getting a met mgl.

That's a helluva Daiwa to start off with.  I've gone all Shimano but the Steez is a flagship reel that I don't think you can go wrong with.

Megabass  79 or71?  These are good reels unless you want a round reel then the lin 10 is very sexy.  Truth be told I love my sv103 it's a hell of a reel and a lot cheaper.  Not on board with the twing so I cannot speak directly about that version of the steez.  Got a first and second gen and love them also.

Also consider a td-Ito.

I’ve yet to hear a single negative comment about that reel. Everything has been nothing but positive. I’m friends with quite a few Daiwa users, and I am one myself. 

steez sv tw is the finest reel i've used. buy it.

8 hours ago, Big-Bass said:

I am up in the air, but may considering selling one of my NIB Daiwa TD-Ito reels that I have.  I have not put it on the market yet and I may not even do so.  However, if you are interested, we can talk.  It has never been spooled, includes paperwork, box, etc. and is truly a gem of a reel.  I don't need to sell it but NIB varieties are hard to come by and for a custom rod it would be a great match.  PM me if interested as the price of it and the price of a new Steez are similar.  Thanks.

I fish left handed. Odds are its a rightie :(

Two months ago I mailordered a Steez SV TW and a Metanium MGL, both with 6:1 gearing. Although I haven't had much opportunity to fish them hard except maybe in the yard, I think I'll find a regular use for them. :)  I want more. Of both. But the fishing Expo is this weekend so I'm trying not to order anything online this week.

I've had some pretty nice reels over the years - $200-$300 reels - and used a wide variety of my buddy's - even a first generation Steez - but his are righthanded and I cast right and reel left.

Have fun. I don't think you can go wrong.

John

P.S. - The last Daiwa reel I bought was 4 years ago - a Saltist spinning reel for an 11-foot rod. Prior to that it was probably some Silver Series 2600C and 4000C  spinning reels around 1980. They're still sort of functional, but I've normally used Shimano with a short freshwater detour to 3 ABU Garcia Premiers and an SX. I still like them and they still catch large bass, but I'm over them.

Can't go wrong with a Steez, but I will say the Metanium MGL is one hell of a reel.

First Daiwa a Steez !?!? Only prob with that is you’ll end up with more of them. 😄