ratherbfishin1

ICE FISHING TALK

So theres now ice on a good portion of the country. Some people go into “fishing hibernation” for the winter months, but for those of you who tough to out and go ice fishing tell us about it. Let’s see some pics and how did it go?  What did you use and what did you catch? I’ve been out three ones and fought some bass, crappie, and some bluegill. A little tungsten jig in a pink color is what’s been working for me.

Lady I work with just moved down to Louisiana from Wisconsin, she says Ice fishing is just an excuse to sit in a tent on the ice and get drunk.  I can't confirm or deny this. :P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've gone out a few times to a body of water that produces well the rest of the year. I have no electronics, so I'm basically drilling random holes and jigging wax worms in hopes that I can run into some fish. Haven't had any luck yet but it defintely beats sitting around all winter 

2 minutes ago, Dtrombly said:

I've gone out a few times to a body of water that produces well the rest of the year. I have no electronics, so I'm basically drilling random holes and jigging wax worms in hopes that I can run into some fish. Haven't had any luck yet but it defintely beats sitting around all winter 

I definitely know what you mean when you say better than sitting around. I also have no electronics just a hole and a rod:)

Been ice fishing as much as I can, but it's hard with spring classes starting back up at college. Picked up a new Fenwick HMX ML ice fishing rod (great spoon stick), paired it up with a 1500 series shimano sienna, and got on a few walleye this past week with my dad. They were hitting pretty good in 30 feet of water on fathead minnows and Swedish pimples tipped with a minnow. No panfish yet but I can't wait to catch my first lmb through the ice!

I'm in Virginia right now but I did get some Ice Fishing in while up in MA in December. I almost exclusively use tipups with shiners, targeting bass. Biggest I got out of 4 trips was a 4lber. It's weird because live bait doesn't do much for me open water (I don't find it as fun), but ice fishing I find using tipups more fun than jigging. There's just something about seeing a flag go up, running to it, and seeing the spool racing off and hand lining in a fish that gets my blood pumping. 

I hibernate, but get texts almost daily from friends. I told a buddy about my favorite bluegill lake last year. He never made it out there during soft water. But has been there 3 times this ice season. No bluegill to speak of. He's catching walleye, pike and perch. Sent me a pic earlier this week of a perch he hooked on a tip up. Pike grabbed the perch and he landed both.

image.png.96606e4f13bd2e4a6a98fc906d88d37f.png

And earlier this week

image.png.1e5db3c7c47bc6412fca2e8b4c075590.png

• Like 1

My son and I went out with my cousin and his two girls today. Caught a bunch of small lake trout, had about 14” of ice where we were. No monster fish today but the kids absolutely wore themselves out all day trying to climb the “ice falls”. Luckily for us dads, they couldn’t get to an unsafe height, but they sure did try 😀

5927EB92-47C2-41E1-8983-F9E260B61DF6.jpeg

• Like 3

Went out today with a friend and caught three bass over three pounds and many more small ones and tons of panfish so it was a good day. Caught them all on a little tungsten jig and a wax worm.

Ah! I've been on the ice myself, but with UW video cameras. In my video fishing journals I've been following my bass seasonally. And my next documentary is on bass development and I've been tracking those bass through the year. I am one who can sit an entire day out there and just watch the natural world go by, while my cameras are recording what I cannot see.

What have I "caught"? Nine species, and a clip of a bass attacking bluegills in front of the camera! He missed. It's tough down there.

Screen Shot 2018-01-21 at 12.01.21 PM copy.jpg

Just got off the ice about an hour ago.  Limit of panfish in 45 minutes and I beat the incoming rain.

I have some friends and relatives that ice fish.  I don't.  I done it before and it wouldn't bother me if I never went again.  Several of them work construction and they have about a month off in the middle of winter so its their main hobby this time of year.  They all fully admit that they are mostly out there to drink beer, play cards, watch satellite TV, etc and that they could care less about how many fish they catch.  Many of them are quite lazy so they just park in one spot for days over dead water because its too much work to move.  Even a bad day fishing in open water is usually going to beat a day on the ice.  This winter has been especially poor because its not only been cold, its been BITTER cold.  My brother in law has said to me time and time again "We may not catch much but we always have a good time."