Jump to content
TylerT123

Custom/Built Rods vs Manufactured Rods

Recommended Posts

Do custom rods or built rods offer any benefits? Are they more versatile? Are they(built rods) cheaper? I think building one would be cool but is it cost efficient/effective for the first time?  What does a good built rod cost? For me a good rod is like a St. Croix, Fenwick, or Dobyns. I want a versatile rod but manufacturered options are really limited. I’m not a tournament angler, but I fished almost everyday in the summer. I can’t really afford to shell out a more than $130 ish after purchasing my baitcaster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tyler,

It depends on what you want, what is your core presentation, the presentation you have the most confidence in and use a lot? Than you'll know where to start. 

Stay away from most X fast rod blanks if you want a versatile rod, they are usually more specialized, for more specific needs. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Custom rods cost more than factory rods.  Custom rods can be built to your spec depending on the applications you use most.  I like extra fast rods running copolymer for single hook applications.  I like medium fast rods for trebe baits.  Your line choices change the flex in your system along with rod speed.  

 

Everyone likes different things and one recommended setup might not work for you.  Do you like a moderate or fast jerkbait rod.  They both work just different styles.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In your price range, you can get a nice rod if you build it yourself. If you are paying someone else to do it, in addition to the rod components, you have to pay for their time. For $130, buy a manufactured rod.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Custom doesn't save much money unless you're building your own AND building on top quality blanks.  In your price range you are better off simply waiting for sales to get the best you can get for your money.

 

I also would not recommend building your first rod on an expensive blank.  Most of us custom builders didn't reach a really high quality build until we had built a few.  There are exceptions, but the odds are. . .

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, spoonplugger1 said:

Tyler,

It depends on what you want, what is your core presentation, the presentation you have the most confidence in and use a lot? Than you'll know where to start. 

Stay away from most X fast rod blanks if you want a versatile rod, they are usually more specialized, for more specific needs. 

I haven’t fished a ton but I like worms, top water,spinnerbaits...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tyler, I had a full custom single hook rod built in early summer. Builder and I discussed my needs and every component. Final cost was $453 and was worth every penny and much more, it was built on a PointBlack PB761MF blank that is great. It was built for my style, presentations and water.

 

When I look at the price of high end G. Loomis, Daiwa and Megabass rods I think I got a bargain.

 

BTW, I put no restriction on cost so you definitely get done much cheaper with still ggreat quality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, 68camaro said:

Tyler, I had a full custom single hook rod built in early summer. Builder and I discussed my needs and every component. Final cost was $453 and was worth every penny and much more, it was built on a PointBlack PB761MF blank that is great. It was built for my style, presentations and water.

 

When I look at the price of high end G. Loomis, Daiwa and Megabass rods I think I got a bargain.

 

BTW, I put no restriction on cost so you definitely get done much cheaper with still ggreat quality.

Do you fish tournaments?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TylerT123 said:

Do you fish tournaments?

No, I am average weekender guy at best, in a kayak. And no, I don't need a rod this much but it is worth it to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 68camaro said:

No, I am average weekender guy at best, in a kayak. And no, I don't need a rod this much but it is worth it to me.

Yeah, I can’t spend that much on a rod, I’m only 16. I just wanted one good all around rod. I was looking at Dobyns and St. Croix, I think I’m going to go with Dobyns but I’m not sure yet, I want to get my hands on one first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A custom rod only allows you to choose the components and have them fitted the way you prefer. The blanks are generally the same as you can get with a factory rod, so unless you've got the experience to know why you might be fussy about some aspect of a rod build, there isn't much point in thinking of getting a custom built one. If you fancy having a go at building one, then fine, but don't expect the rod to be significantly different to the factory version, though it will probably cost you more.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Tim Kelly said:

A custom rod only allows you to choose the components and have them fitted the way you prefer. The blanks are generally the same as you can get with a factory rod, so unless you've got the experience to know why you might be fussy about some aspect of a rod build, there isn't much point in thinking of getting a custom built one. If you fancy having a go at building one, then fine, but don't expect the rod to be significantly different to the factory version, though it will probably cost you more.

This was really helpful, thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Factory off the shelf rods are made for the majority of anglers and mass produced off shore at your $130 price range. You will not get a state of the art rod blank, reel seat and guide train because those components cost more then your budget.

A good custom rod builder is a highly skilled technician knowledgable with rod building techniques, knows exactly what guides to use and where to place guides to optimize casting the lures you prefer to use, what reel seat fits the reel you plan to use to align with the guides. What rod blank power and action is optimal to perform with the lures and line you use. Rod handle, length and materials and style to meet your preferences.

Nothing about a custom rod is the same as OTS, everything is selected without compromise for the average user.

Site sponsor DVT can walk anyone through the custom rod build, price depends on materials selected and labor to build the rod, somewhere between $250-$500.

Tom

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the greatest respect, that's not really completely accurate. The blank will probably be the same as an OTS blank, the guides may well be the same, though hopefully more thoughtfully placed on a custom. The reel seat, handle design and whipping thread will be to the customers choice. The end result will be better, if the customer knows why he wants what he wants, but with top end blanks, the factory versions already use top of the line components, so the differences are really down to the customer wanting it built differently to the factory version. 

 

Mid priced blanks can be made to fish significantly better than factory as you can get better, lighter guides which make the blank perform better than the factory build, but top end, not so much.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tyler,

     You'd be hard pressed (next to impossible) to be able to build a rod that is as good quality wise as a good quality off the shelf rod for $130 dollars or less. The St Croix Mojo bass rods or the Dobyn's fury rods are excellent quality and reasonably priced. I know that are several other brands that would probably fill those same shoes.  I just don't have any experience with them.

Fishingmickey

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to debate this to death there are rod blanks not available to OTC  companies because they are proprietary and some proprietary blanks are not available to rod builders like Conquest. For example Lamiglas made my rod blanks only available from them and not available as their OTC offering that ALX used for my custom rods. Rod lengths are set without optional length from OTC  companies as another example, custom you can have the length you want. Fuji is the guides and reel seats most OTC use, there are other options in sizes, styles in micro and standard, like Kagin. Custom isn’t just fancy threads or colors but it can be.

Peace,

Tom

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dobyns-Champion-XP-7ft-3in-Heavy-Casting-Rod-Great-Condition-RL109/202206456229?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

 

Grab something used like this one and grab a magic eraser to clean the cork and have at.  This place sells a lot of mid to high grade rods used and you will save half or more off new.  At your age and spending power value is king.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Angry John said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dobyns-Champion-XP-7ft-3in-Heavy-Casting-Rod-Great-Condition-RL109/202206456229?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

 

Grab something used like this one and grab a magic eraser to clean the cork and have at.  This place sells a lot of mid to high grade rods used and you will save half or more off new.  At your age and spending power value is king.

I’m weary of eBay, sometimes it’s cheaper to buy a rod from the manufacturer than to buy from a third party and lose your money and have to buy a rod from the manufacturer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, TylerT123 said:

I’m weary of eBay, sometimes it’s cheaper to buy a rod from the manufacturer than to buy from a third party and lose your money and have to buy a rod from the manufacturer.

These guys are different to me and are a real brick and morter store.  I got two rods from them and some other stuff and have never had issue.  Everyone has a different ebay experience so you do have to go with your gut.  I have never been burned but my dad has several times.  There is risk in everything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Though I'm a custom builder, I've done some fishing this year around some industry people and got to use their new offerings. One rod stood out in your price range, and was built to be a versatile rod geared more toward your favorites. The St. Croix BXC71MHF.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, spoonplugger1 said:

Though I'm a custom builder, I've done some fishing this year around some industry people and got to use their new offerings. One rod stood out in your price range, and was built to be a versatile rod geared more toward your favorites. The St. Croix BXC71MHF.

Thanks, wanting to try cranks, jigs, light pitching and flipping and a few other techniques this year too

1 hour ago, Angry John said:

These guys are different to me and are a real brick and morter store.  I got two rods from them and some other stuff and have never had issue.  Everyone has a different ebay experience so you do have to go with your gut.  I have never been burned but my dad has several times.  There is risk in everything.

There’s very little risk in stores though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The blank is stiff like many St. Croix, works great at the bottom end 3/8 oz. rating, but not much under it, however it does well in the top end, easily exceeding the 1 oz. rating on some large cranks and swimbaits we threw. You can drop down one power if need better light gear performance, the 5/8 oz. upper limit can be extended to 3/4 oz., or maybe a bit more.

The Fenwick World Class rods I tried weren't in the same league as the Bass X rods.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, spoonplugger1 said:

The blank is stiff like many St. Croix, works great at the bottom end 3/8 oz. rating, but not much under it, however it does well in the top end, easily exceeding the 1 oz. rating on some large cranks and swimbaits we threw. You can drop down one power if need better light gear performance, the 5/8 oz. upper limit can be extended to 3/4 oz., or maybe a bit more.

The Fenwick World Class rods I tried weren't in the same league as the Bass X rods.

Have you tried any Mojo bass rods?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have often thought about have a custom or 2 built, I simply just don't know what I want.

 

I suspect it would be for bottom or deep technique with a single hook and full cork, but my glx's do a fine job, less the full cork.

 

My question would be, what type of rods do most folk have built?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, NHBull said:

I have often thought about have a custom or 2 built, I simply just don't know what I want.

 

I suspect it would be for bottom or deep technique with a single hook and full cork, but my glx's do a fine job, less the full cork.

 

My question would be, what type of rods do most folk have built?

My first custom was built for chatter/spinnerbaits. I chose this use because it was my least productive, I had no confidence in vibrating baits even though I knew how good they could be. since receiving rod these are now one of my favorite and productive techniques.

 

I am having second built and like you having trouble deciding on use. I asked builder for help and he asked very good question, "If you were fishing a one day tournament on your local lake and had to fish the same way all day long, what wold it be?" The answer immediately popped into my head and this will now dictate build.

 

I think sometimes we over think things but above question for me made decision easy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing rods

    fishing rods


    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    bass fish

    fishing poles

    Truck Caps

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×