Jump to content
BankBasser

Question About Mojo/LTB choice

Recommended Posts

Hi All... New member, long time lurker, first time poster...

 

I'm wanting to add a couple rods this year. The two I'm looking at are a 6'8" Medium/Extra Fast Spinning and a 7'4" Heavy/Fast Casting. I'm looking at both the St Croix Mojo and LTB series. I can afford one Mojo and one LTB. Which rod do you think I'd be better off doing in the LTB series? The wacky/finesse or heavy cover rod?

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Which one will you use more often? Id go with that one. Or would you rather have 2 Avid/Avix X? Price would come out about the same.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an LTB and a Mojo. LTBs run $260 and and Mojos run between $130 and $150. I could get 2 mojos for the price of one LTB. I would recommend 3 Mojos instead now that they have upgraded them to SCIII graphite which is a step below the LTB.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The LTB rods are extremely tip heavy, to the point where I didn't want to fish with them anymore.  I have three, and sent the 7'1 MH Fast back to st croix to upgrade to the extreme.  I had to use a chair leg cap, with a one ounce sinker flattened inside, to get it to balance with a chronarch.  I also have the 6'10 Med XF spinning and had to do the same thing, using a stradic ci4 3000.   Lastly, I have the 6'8" jerkbait rod which still is tip heavy, but I left it alone because I fish mostly tip down anyway.  

 

I would not buy another LTB.  Using a dobyns DX vs the LTB, it is night and day.  The dobyns balances much much better.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would consider the Dobyns Fury as a choice also. I always say it's a coin flip between the Fury and the mojo.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Vilas15 said:

Which one will you use more often? Id go with that one. Or would you rather have 2 Avid/Avix X? Price would come out about the same.

That would be my choice. 

 

I have the 6'8 MXF spinning in the Avid X line, and it is my favorite rod.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Vilas15 said:

Which one will you use more often? Id go with that one. Or would you rather have 2 Avid/Avix X? Price would come out about the same.

This is the way I would go.  The split handles that are on the new series don't do it for me and it hurts the ballance on top of that.  Not a great direction to go for them imo but that's what the industry wants now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the replies.

 

I own a handful of Avids (pre Avid X) in lighter power and they're my favorite rods. Is the Avid/Avid X that noticeable a difference over the SCIII Mojos?

 

I've also Considered Dobyns but haven't had a chance to handle one in person. They sure are highly thought of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BankBasser said:

Thanks for the replies.

 

I own a handful of Avids (pre Avid X) in lighter power and they're my favorite rods. Is the Avid/Avid X that noticeable a difference over the SCIII Mojos?

 

I've also Considered Dobyns but haven't had a chance to handle one in person. They sure are highly thought of.

Dobyns to me are so balanced they're Just comfortable to fish with. Me personally, I'll give up rod weight to be comfortable

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, BankBasser said:

Thanks for the replies.

 

I own a handful of Avids (pre Avid X) in lighter power and they're my favorite rods. Is the Avid/Avid X that noticeable a difference over the SCIII Mojos?

 

I've also Considered Dobyns but haven't had a chance to handle one in person. They sure are highly thought of.

I bought an Avid X and a Fury around the same time. I was so impressed with how the Fury felt I ended up selling the Avid X before I ever used it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BankBasser said:

Hi All... New member, long time lurker, first time poster...

 

I'm wanting to add a couple rods this year. The two I'm looking at are a 6'8" Medium/Extra Fast Spinning and a 7'4" Heavy/Fast Casting. I'm looking at both the St Croix Mojo and LTB series. I can afford one Mojo and one LTB. Which rod do you think I'd be better off doing in the LTB series? The wacky/finesse or heavy cover rod?

 

Thanks!

If you can swing the trip up to Hank's (in waterloo) they have the old model LTB on sale 50% off right now. You could call and see if they have that rod. I think they do...so it would be like $145

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For my personal use I reserve the highest modulus blanks for the finesse applications. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Delaware Valley Tackle said:

For my personal use I reserve the highest modulus blanks for the finesse applications. 

I have to agree.  The best blanks are for special applications and are just not needed in most cases.  A good jig rod and a nice drops hot rod and the rest mid grade.  Unless you win the lottery then spend it up ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks again for the replies everybody. Lots to think about.

10 hours ago, Loomis13 said:

If you can swing the trip up to Hank's (in waterloo) they have the old model LTB on sale 50% off right now. You could call and see if they have that rod. I think they do...so it would be like $145

I'm not sure I can swing a trip up that way, but if they'd ship it'd still be huge savings. Appreciate the info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BankBasser said:

Thanks again for the replies everybody. Lots to think about.

I'm not sure I can swing a trip up that way, but if they'd ship it'd still be huge savings. Appreciate the info.

Check your PM's

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the 6'8 m-xf mojo and an avid x 6'6 Mh-f casting rod. 

 

I love the 6'8 mojo, great rod. My favorite spinning rod so far. 

 

I just got the avid x and it is more refined for sure. American vs Mexico built is an obvious quality difference. I have not fished with the avid x yet. But I have been practicing casting and its a really nice rod. I imagine the 6'8 in the avid x would be heavenly. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×