Jump to content
Ratherbfishing

Permanent markers

Recommended Posts

Yesterday I was sharpening hooks on all my crankbaits and I observed several that needed a touch up on their paint (hook rash and what not).  So I whipped out the old trusty black sharpie and away I went.  Overall I was happy with the outcome.  THEN I got to thinking, "WHY not exclusively use permanent markers in a myriad of colors to color lures?"  I don't really care for airbrushing that much (messy and a lot of prep time) and while I've seen some AMAZING work (on this site and elsewhere) I don't think I want to go to that level.  But with a fine tip marker, I think I could produce some pretty nice work.  Has anyone else ever JUST used permanent markers?  Were you pleased? Are there any particular "minefields" I haven't considered?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use them to add orange to a belly or red to the gills.  I airbrush a lot of hardbaits and use Sharpies to add details like dots to a rainbow pattern and black "diamonds" to a baby bass, etc.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would think you would have a similar outcome to Spike-It markers on soft plastics ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, mattkenzer said:

I would think you would have a similar outcome to Spike-It markers on soft plastics ....

Am curious (I don't have Spike It).  Have you ever applied it to crankbaits?  I tried dipping a white(ish) crankbait in JJ's magic and it had little effect (of course the clearcoat probably foiled THAT attempt). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ratherbfishing said:

Yesterday I was sharpening hooks on all my crankbaits and I observed several that needed a touch up on their paint (hook rash and what not).  So I whipped out the old trusty black sharpie and away I went.  Overall I was happy with the outcome.  THEN I got to thinking, "WHY not exclusively use permanent markers in a myriad of colors to color lures?"  I don't really care for airbrushing that much (messy and a lot of prep time) and while I've seen some AMAZING work (on this site and elsewhere) I don't think I want to go to that level.  But with a fine tip marker, I think I could produce some pretty nice work.  Has anyone else ever JUST used permanent markers?  Were you pleased? Are there any particular "minefields" I haven't considered?

I do it all the time. I also use paint markers, and nail polish.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Ratherbfishing said:

 THEN I got to thinking, "WHY not exclusively use permanent markers in a myriad of colors to color lures?"  I don't really care for airbrushing that much (messy and a lot of prep time) and while I've seen some AMAZING work (on this site and elsewhere) I don't think I want to go to that level.  But with a fine tip marker, I think I could produce some pretty nice work.  Has anyone else ever JUST used permanent markers? 

I had a similar idea about some blank lures as a winter project. Decided to go with paint pens bought at a local Walmart. I also decided not to get too many colors, just stick with the basics of green, brown, orange, yellow and silver. 

This is my first creation. 

IMG_0680.thumb.JPG.2e503cdc05dc97e8075e621db7a1c9eb.JPG

Got to pick up some eyes, coat it with something and scavenge some hooks and rings and she's ready to go. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sharpies are dye based markers.  The colors will fade over time from sunlight and will run if you topcoat them with a product containing a solvent.  Jmho, they are best used for adding on-the-water details to a bait. Can they be used to paint a whole bait?  Yes, but they’re not the ideal solution.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/9/2018 at 3:32 PM, Ratherbfishing said:

Am curious (I don't have Spike It).  Have you ever applied it to crankbaits?  I tried dipping a white(ish) crankbait in JJ's magic and it had little effect (of course the clearcoat probably foiled THAT attempt). 

I have not applied Spike It or JJ's Magic to any Hard Baits. I would agree with your results, would not stick well.

I do however use permanent markers on Hard Baits to add a little color, normally red or orange under the chin.

I also write the model and running depth on the Hard Bait as well .... this adds color at the same time.

 

I hope this helps.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sharpie doesn’t work well on soft plastics. Spike-It does, though. I think it’s a dye. I use it to add detail to soft plastic craws. The claw arms and antennae on these craws are orange, like the legs, so I color them with a blue Spike-It marker:

 

D196A29D-9A18-4F0D-ACB1-65F2D96526A8.thumb.jpeg.4ad629d9debf8510df7797632a865abc.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/9/2018 at 1:32 PM, Ratherbfishing said:

Am curious (I don't have Spike It).  Have you ever applied it to crankbaits?  I tried dipping a white(ish) crankbait in JJ's magic and it had little effect (of course the clearcoat probably foiled THAT attempt). 

I use the Spike It markers quite often on crankbaits. I have to admit they work great but you need to know they are transparent so whatever base coat you go over will determine the outcome. I had a pearl white Norman crankbait with some ghost stripes and one day my buddy told me before I left for the lake that they hitting on white and chartreuse just the previous afternoon. As soon as I got to the boat ramp I took the chartreuse Spike It marker and dyed it. Fishing went great, baits been used tons, and believe it or not it’s still chartreuse/white/grey ghost stripes. Worked awesome and been doing it since.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nail polish works great. It can be had in all colors. I have a couple variations of chartreuse and yellows for belly painting and adding chartreuse shad stripes or just making the existing bolder. The Spike it pens work great also. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These guys still catch....

20100509-BaitsWalleyeSmallie-04-X2.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/17/2018 at 7:49 AM, Spankey said:

Nail polish works great. It can be had in all colors. I have a couple variations of chartreuse and yellows for belly painting and adding chartreuse shad stripes or just making the existing bolder. The Spike it pens work great also. 

Several years ago the smallmouth in Canada had a clear preference for the color red (and red hooks) so we sat down one evening and enhanced numerous crankbaits (especially lipless crankbaits) with red fingernail polish.  Since then, I've used several colors of nail polish and enhanced/highlighted them with sharpies.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/17/2018 at 12:34 PM, J Francho said:

These guys still catch....

20100509-BaitsWalleyeSmallie-04-X2.jpg

I prefer my baits with character, they catch fish better that way imo. A beat up baitfish is an easy one to catch in a bass' eye. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing forum

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×