Jump to content
ChrisD46

Weedless Wacky Hooks ?

Recommended Posts

What is your favorite weedless wacky hook for 4" & 5" soft stick baits ? ... My short list is down to the Laser Trokar Weedless Wacky Hook and the new VMC Weedless Wacky / Neko Rig Hook . Seth Feider , Davey Hite and others all seem to have standardized on the VMC Neko #2 size hook for all neko or wacky rigging (one hook size saves money)  ... The Laser Trokar in a #1 looks best for a 4" stick bait while for 5" stick bait a 1/0 may fit the bill better . Then you have weedless short shank of the Trokar wacky versus the longer shank VMC neko / wacky hook . Not sure if the short shank weedless wacky style (Laser Trokar) offers any advantage or if the longer thin weedless VMC neko hook is better for wacky rigging ? ... Your thoughts ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use the gammy 1/0 weedless on 4 and 5 inch worms.  I use the dean rojas cane thumpers and it works well for both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My favorite are my own, made with Gamakatsu hooks

either Finesse Wide Gap or Split/Drop Shot hooks.

 

IMG_1997.thumb.JPG.841642463169446e1260fd4d37e31d4d.JPG

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use owners wacky hooks 2/0 and make my own with Gamakatsu Finesse Wide Gap 4/0 for hawgs :)

 

By the way @Darren. You were the inspiration of making my own :)

 

2462vtk.jpg

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Burke said:

I use owners wacky hooks 2/0 and make my own with Gamakatsu Finesse Wide Gap 4/0 for hawgs :)

 

By the way @Darren. You were the inspiration of making my own :)

 

2462vtk.jpg

 

 

Looks good!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the DIY options above.

 

I think the (unweighted) ones I've been using are the Trokar wacky weedless and Hayabusa spin muscle. 

 

for weighted, I use the gamakatsu and jackall heads. On the expensive side, but I don't think I've lost any yet.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MIbassyaker said:

I love the DIY options above.

 

I think the (unweighted) ones I've been using are the Trokar wacky weedless and Hayabusa spin muscle. 

 

for weighted, I use the gamakatsu and jackall heads. On the expensive side, but I don't think I've lost any yet.

I tried the Hayabusa Spin Muscle, I think 2 packs,

lost several to snags, but had at least one break on

me. Scared me off of them for good, I'm afraid.

 

Loved the design and price, but alas, Gammy has 

never broken on me so has my full trust.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Darren. said:

I tried the Hayabusa Spin Muscle, I think 2 packs,

lost several to snags, but had at least one break on

me. Scared me off of them for good, I'm afraid.

 

Loved the design and price, but alas, Gammy has 

never broken on me so has my full trust.

Yikes -- good to know. Hasn't happened to me yet fortunately.

 

Hard to beat Gammy for....almost anything.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MIbassyaker said:

Yikes -- good to know. Hasn't happened to me yet fortunately.

 

Hard to beat Gammy for....almost anything.

I hope mine was a fluke, a bad batch or something.

Either way, it scared me off trying 'em again.

 

Good luck with your testing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the DIY versions shown above, too. Some very nice work there.

 

For a commercial weighted version, a Zappu Inchi Wacky Head is "to die for" as they say. They come in both weedless and open hooks. I love the placement of the weighting, that the correct weight will pull your rig down, maintain good contact with the bottom. For whatever reason, they rarely seem to get hung up on anything.

 

Brad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gamakatsu Finesse Wide Gap hooks in 3/0 is my got to wacky hook. Weed guards get in the way. If u want to go weedless I suggest t-rigging it on a offset round end or straight shank hook with a keeper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont have my favorite yet but I know for sure what I don't like very much. It gamakatsu weedless wacky hook.

IMG_0772.JPG.5bfa65986fc4d092944a66ea3cb8f0a0.JPG

 

The plastic for For weedless part is too soft and oftentimes it would wrap itself when fish hook. It would last only a few fish until the part become un-usable. This when I wacky Senko with o-ring. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use the gammy, but when I want an accelerated fall, I put a tungsten bead above the hook.

 

They come in several sizes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use the vmc weedless wacky 3/0 for dock skipping keeps me fron getting caught on chains and ropes ect under docks. Not good for heavy grass fishing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Berkley Fusion wacky weedless. Perfect balance of cost and quality.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I started out with the VMC with the wire guard.  It saved me from getting hung up as planned, but I also lost a lot of fish... I'd sometimes get them all the way back to the boat and they'd come off.

 

I switched to the Owner weedless wacky, but found the guards too soft to roll the bait off sticks and logs.  I was getting good hook-ups, but still losing lots of rigs to snags.

 

I currently am using the Decoy Cover Finesse HD weedless wacky hooks.  They seem to do a good job of keeping me from getting hung up on wood, but still hook the fish nicely.

 

Tight lines,

Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Berkley fusion is my favorite.  Beats gamakatsu by a long shot for me.  Great heavy fluoro for the weedless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2018 at 7:34 PM, CNYLbs said:

Berkley fusion is my favorite.  Beats gamakatsu by a long shot for me.  Great heavy fluoro for the weedless.

 What size do you use for a 5" bait?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2018 at 7:35 AM, NYWayfarer said:

Berkley Fusion wacky weedless. Perfect balance of cost and quality.

I have been using these also with good results.

25 minutes ago, jtharris3 said:

 What size do you use for a 5" bait?

I have been using size 1/0 or size 1

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another vote for the fusion hooks.  I've had no issues with these.  I use 1/0 for 5" worms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2018 at 7:51 AM, JustJames said:

I dont have my favorite yet but I know for sure what I don't like very much. It gamakatsu weedless wacky hook.

IMG_0772.JPG.5bfa65986fc4d092944a66ea3cb8f0a0.JPG

 

The plastic for For weedless part is too soft and oftentimes it would wrap itself when fish hook. It would last only a few fish until the part become un-usable. This when I wacky Senko with o-ring. 

Clip the middle with a set of clippers before you bend it down. It’ll make it a 2 pronged weedless guard. The plastic won’t slide down either. Fixed that same problem for me one night when I ran out of VMCs. Now I’ll use the Gamakatsu’s just as much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Owner 5172 weedless wacky hook.

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't use a weightless wacky rigs very much, so I have no advice on a hook for that presentation. But I do use weighted wacky rigs all the time, and for that I use the Revenge Flippin' Wacker's on bait casting gear in the 2/0  hook size in both the 1/16th and 1/8th oz weights depending on depth/wind/thickness of cover. For lighter line spinning gear applications, I use the VMC wacky jigs, also in 1/16th and 1/8th oz.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use the owner's with great success.  Depending on the bait, I usually go weightless.  If I go weighted it is to improve action.

Never worry about loosing a hook, it happens.....and that is how I go braid to leader

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×