Jump to content

Recommended Posts

That is a nice counter, but I also like to keep track of how many bass each type of lure catches, so I have been using this one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.sleak.thingcounter 

 

It too has voice response, it is funny to hear it try to pronounce "Rapala" or "ZinkerZ"...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks I'll check it out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice app. I been using my phones memo pad to document how many bass I catch on some trips. Before that I use to write them down on a piece of paper, including one day that I caught 149 bass in 1 day from land in the Everglades. I caught more than that in sunfish, oscar,bowfin, gar,etc so I easily caught over 300 fish that day. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a baseball pitch counter clipped to my belt loop sometimes to count bass. Easy and fast for me. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, soflabasser said:

Nice app. I been using my phones memo pad to document how many bass I catch on some trips. Before that I use to write them down on a piece of paper, including one day that I caught 149 bass in 1 day from land in the Everglades. I caught more than that in sunfish, oscar,bowfin, gar,etc so I easily caught over 300 fish that day. 

It's nice to know exactly what the number is and I got a scale so now I really know what they weigh lol.Glad u like it!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you can't remember how many bass you caught you are catching small bass....move!

Tom

  • Like 4
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, WRB said:

If you can't remember how many bass you caught you are catching small bass....move!

Tom

Never thought of it that way! But It's a good point🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol what if they aren't small 😁

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, BigBassCatcher said:

Then you will remember them!

🙄 There's always one in the crowd that knows everything......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, WRB said:

If you can't remember how many bass you caught you are catching small bass....move!

Tom

That is often the counter comment from anglers (not you Tom) who have been skunked 5 trips in a row but justify it by claiming they were trying to catch the largest fish in the lake.

 

Also, I don't think that suggestion applies to lakes like El Salto... :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mexican bass are fry before they are fingerlings and dinks before juveniles just like north of the border, not all bass are big south of the border.

I'm a numbers anglers but prefer numbers of big bass. I can remember nearly every outing catching multiple big bass but can't recall any outings counting small bass because they are meaningless to me, a sign to move.

The Ned rig guys like to achieve 100 bass days, that is the goal and they need a counter  for proof. I know lots of anglers who judge their success by telling you how many bass they caught and my usual reply is how many over 3 lbs...silence, 3 lbs isn't a big bass anywhere. I just don't understand the logic of counting small bass or why anglers target them, unless you fishing MLF.

Tom

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So what you are saying is if you are catching alot of small fish leave that area cause there won't be any larger fish in that area and if you use a fish counter you are catching small fish. Interesting theories 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, WRB said:

Mexican bass are fry before they are fingerlings and dinks before juveniles just like north of the border, not all bass are big south of the border.

I'm a numbers anglers but prefer numbers of big bass. I can remember nearly every outing catching multiple big bass but can't recall any outings counting small bass because they are meaningless to me, a sign to move.

The Ned rig guys like to achieve 100 bass days, that is the goal and they need a counter  for proof. I know lots of anglers who judge their success by telling you how many bass they caught and my usual reply is how many over 3 lbs...silence, 3 lbs isn't a big bass anywhere. I just don't understand the logic of counting small bass or why anglers target them, unless you fishing MLF.

Tom

 

 

Big bass are nice to catch but I'm all about the hit. The more hits I get in a day, the more I like it. Fishing for river smallies, big fish are mixed in with the dinks so for me, so they all count. A 13 inch river smallmouth fights harder than a much larger largemouth so I'm happy to get all sizes.  I don't fish tournaments and I don't fish for food so size means little to me. It's why I don't even own a scale. I like catching a fish every few minutes. If I go three or four hours without a bite, I'm not happy.

There are a LOT of fishermen who fish for panfish like bluegills, perch white bass and crappie in the northern states and get a lot of enjoyment from their baskets of small fish. 

It's like golfers. There are very few who shoot in the 70's regularly and they would never be happy not breaking 100. But most golfers never shoot low scores, never win tournaments but still find the game to be fun.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very well said,the reason I use a counter is to document each time I fish the amount of fish caught,what I used, the  area i was fishing and weather conditions it helps me track patterns and it's very nice tool to use on your phone thought others would have enjoyed it.But like I said there is just some guys out there think they know everything and if you got a 3-5 lb avg you should start fishing the elite series.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool apps, but I am not a numbers guy in the least. A couple big bites a month and I'm satisfied. I've had 100 fish days. And I've also had some 40, 3-4lb fish days And would take 2 7lbers in a day over either one of those. But that's what makes fishing interesting. Everyone enjoys it for different reasons

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most bass anglers consider their PB as the weight of the bass not the numbers they caught. If catching numbers is your idea of a good day, get a counter, I have no problem with that. 

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CroakHunter said:

Cool apps, but I am not a numbers guy in the least. A couple big bites a month and I'm satisfied. I've had 100 fish days. And I've also had some 40, 3-4lb fish days And would take 2 7lbers in a day over either one of those. But that's what makes fishing interesting. Everyone enjoys it for different reasons

I love the big hawgs but if i could choose ill take some of those 40 3 to 4 pound days most often.  Those are really fun and if your combat fishing in the junk your just beat afterward.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Angry John said:

I love the big hawgs but if i could choose ill take some of those 40 3 to 4 pound days most often.  Those are really fun and if your combat fishing in the junk your just beat afterward.  

Very true, I love pitching and heavy cover. So if I did catch them doing that it would be very close. But I caught them steady reeling a chatterbait on weedlines which was fun, but Nothing like smacking one in the face with a giant flipping hook

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll compare it to a g rated version would rather go on a date once a month or 40 x a month,that's just me though.You can use the counter for that also 😁

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2018 at 6:24 PM, Wurming67 said:

It's nice to know exactly what the number is and I got a scale so now I really know what they weigh lol.Glad u like it!

I agree. I have a open mind when it comes to fishing and enjoy +100 fish days as much as I do days I have caught double digit bass. Some prefer to just fish for big bass and that's ok for them but I don't want to be someone who lives in the past talking about past +20 year old accomplishments and not much in the present day since the present and future matters more than the past for me.

9 hours ago, Wurming67 said:

the reason I use a counter is to document each time I fish the amount of fish caught,what I used, the  area i was fishing and weather conditions it helps me track patterns and it's very nice tool to use on your phone thought others would have enjoyed it.

Well said. Any day you catch lots of fish is a good day.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a counter for Crappie because we can only keep 25 per person.  Keeping a count up to 25 is tough without a counter.  Normally I will only keep around 10-12 because that's a nice meal for my family without having to freeze a bunch of fillets.  

 

 

Crappie.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2018 at 6:21 PM, Bassguytom said:

I use a baseball pitch counter clipped to my belt loop sometimes to count bass. Easy and fast for me. 

This. They're like $5 at your local sporting goods store too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look up Arithmomania disorder.

Tom

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×