jsh32

Garmin Striker 4 Problems

Finally bought a fish finder for my kayak and got to use it this past weekend. Spent the first day on the water mostly playing with that and hardly fishing unless I was marking a lot of fish. The second day it worked great just like the first day and put me on some fish i probably wouldn't have found with out it. The third day however was spent mostly fighting with my unit. I would randomly lose the bottom reading and mark fish, then the bottom would appear again and the fish marks would go away. Sometimes I would just lose the depth reading. I thought it could be just i was in super shallow water (the wind was brutal and I could barley stay off the bank for a while) but once I moved to a different section of the lake into some deeper water, it was still happening, maybe more than in the shallow water. 

So my question is, what happened? Why did it work so well the first two days and suck butt the third? Could my battery have just been low? Could my transducer have come loose from the bottom of the inside of my kayak? Was it the settings? Im totally new to using a fish finder and have no real idea what Im doing, so any help would be great.

IMG_3107.jpg

My guess is the transducer is loose somehow. How did you install it(the transducer)?

• Like 1

Be sure your plugins are completely plugged in.  Your power and your transducer cable.  On those you have to give them a little extra push sometimes. 

SE Kansas grass grower

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sprocket said:

Be sure your plugins are completely plugged in.  Your power and your transducer cable.  On those you have to give them a little extra push sometimes. 

SE Kansas grass grower

I agree. I have a striker 7 and the cables have came loose a couple of times while on the water. 

13 hours ago, NoSlackin' said:

My guess is the transducer is loose somehow. How did you install it(the transducer)?

I did install it with the help of my brother. Ill double check that.

9 minutes ago, LonnieP said:

I agree. I have a striker 7 and the cables have came loose a couple of times while on the water. 

I checked them while on the water and they seemed to be in all the way. Ill make sure next time I can get out that they are all the way in. Thanks for the advice.

Also make sure your transducer is level 

• Like 1