NorthernBasser

St. Croix Mojo Bass (6'8" M/F vs 6'8" M/XF)

So I'm looking to upgrade to a better top water (poppers, stick baits) rod. Also to double as a jerkbait rod.

The Mojo 6'8" M/F is labeled as their jerkbait rod.

The 6'6" M/XF is labeled as their topwater.

Both rods are rated to throw 1/4-5/8oz baits.

I'm torn on which way to go, as I haven't really held either one. Is one more versatile than the other? Can I throw weightless Senkos/Flukes on one? (the extra fast, perhaps?)

What about the fast action. In what ways would that be beneficial to the extra fast? 

From what I've read, both rods feel VERY similar. 

Thanks for any info. 

I use the Avid 6’8” mxf for topwater and jerkbaits.  The extra fast tip makes working both styles easier in my opinion.  When jerkbaiting, I like the rod to load as little as possible so the line goes slack quickly and it gives it that darting action. Granted, it makes landing fish more difficult.  I usually fish the Megabass Vision 110 with it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Kangler said:

I use the Avid 6’8” mxf for topwater and jerkbaits.  The extra fast tip makes working both styles easier in my opinion.  When jerkbaiting, I like the rod to load as little as possible so the line goes slack quickly and it gives it that darting action. Granted, it makes landing fish more difficult.  I usually fish the Megabass Vision 110 with it. 

OK, thanks. Kind of bummed because I was planning on ordering from TW with the 15% off, but it looks like St. Croix doesn't participate in the sale. 

I think the mojo 68 jerkbait rod has to moderate of a tip for soft plastic jerkbait in my opinion it’s good for treble hook baits including top water poppers but I prefer an mxf for flukes in my opinion, I have used  the mf jerkbait rod for flukes and some stick baits but I don’t recommend it for that application. 

That really sucks that they don’t participate in the discount because when I got mine I did get it for sale don’t remember what sale it was but I only paid 111 for it on tw.

2 hours ago, NorthernBasser said:

OK, thanks. Kind of bummed because I was planning on ordering from TW with the 15% off, but it looks like St. Croix doesn't participate in the sale. 

They do participate. Just like all their other sales, call them directly and you will get the discount for the “excluded items”.

17 hours ago, iabass8 said:

They do participate. Just like all their other sales, call them directly and you will get the discount for the “excluded items”.

Oh, no kidding? I did not know that. I'll have to give them a ring. Thanks!