12poundbass

Berkley Fireline Ultra 8 review

I spooled up with the ten pound test in the black. I tied on a jig and a 3/0 EWG hook with it. The knot strength seems really good. One time I got hung up in something good with my EWG and I was tugging and tugging and the knot held up! 

Casting was troublesome at times because it was fairly stiff. I chalked it up to it being new and worked through it. This was the first time I've used black and I like it a lot. The waters I fish are stained with at most a 12" visibility which made this line hide itself pretty well. The sensitivity felt like it was there too especially with the jig. 

The line size seemed to be bigger than the 10 lb braid my wife has on her spinning reel. The other downfall is it has remained pretty stiff which is kind of a let down. That being said I didn't get to use it as much as I wanted to. I'm the type of guy who gives everyone and everything a chance so I'm going to keep it on for two more trips so I can say I give it a fair shot, and I'll update everyone with my results. 

There are positives which I've pointed out. There are good qualities to this line and I really do hope is softens up for me. I'll report back on this after I give it two more outings so stay tuned.

12poundbass

B21007300.224424456;sz=1x1;ord=557744;dcLearn More About Berkley Fireline Ultra 8

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 12poundbass said:

The line size seemed to be bigger than the 10 lb braid my wife has on her spinning reel.

I think this has to do with it being fused.  I noticed diameters were not what I expected to see for stated strength.  I order 14, so we'll see when I get it.

Upon purchase you may think they boxed up some picture hanging wire but It will soften up in time and be your favorite line! I had several friends talk it up so i ordered a spool- upon arrival I thought it felt like wire and would be terrible.

I use 6#-20# for trout and steel head. No tip wrap or fray, excellent knot retention. Recently purchased 30# for salmon and that does feel like baling wire for now. 

I talked to a guy I run into quite frequently at work, he's a walleye nut and he said the walleye guys love this line. 

It does soften up after awhile, and casts like buttah!