rickyg

Journal/Notebook?

Who keeps a journal or notebook and actually refers to it or reviews it?  Lemme guess, there's an app for that....  What did you find was the most helpful?  My memory ain't what it used to be and for a while I kept a flyfishing (trout) journal, but didn't keep at it and rarely referred to it.  I'm thinking about doing it for bass fishing and hope I'll be more diligent.

Yup, I do.  No app.  This is what I designed back in the early '90s, and posted it here in '96.  First of it's kind on the web.

https://www.bassresource.com/fish/fishing_log.html

• Like 2

I put notes in my phone, same concept. 

I don't go into massive detail, and I don't do it for every bass. If I catch what I consider a decent bass for the body of water I am fishing I'll usually jot down the length, weight, water temp, time of day / day / month, and weather conditions. 

I haven't been doing this long enough to really "refer" back to my notes, but it takes such a short amount of time I figure it can't be worthless to do. Come next year I'm sure I'll be looking back on them and try to put together a pattern before I even hit that lake. 

Thanks Glenn.  I did a search on "journal" but it didn't turn up any direct matches in the first ten or so returns.  Great site ya got!

• Like 1

I've never been patient enough to keep track of all the details of my catch but thanks to the Anglr Bullseye I don't have to, all I do is push a button and it saves all the details like wind speed, air temp, moon phase, barometric pressure, and time of day for me. Really interested to see what patterns evolve out of the information gained. 

Ahhh yes, all the pieces of the puzzle.  I have a saying......Fishing is like a 500 piece puzzle and whoever can put the most pieces together wins!!  Or catches fish...  I have a mental checklist of what I feel are the most important pieces of the puzzle I put together on the day I go out.  For me, what happened last year or the conditions on any specific day 2 years ago rarely apply to what I am going to do today.  BUT....If a journal can give you a reference point and help putting the puzzle together, then by all means use one.  I know guys that have 20 years of journals.  ;)

Yes I keep several hand written journals where I write down some of my fishing trips. Some of the information I document is the following;

1. Location 

2. Date

3. Time

4. Temperature

5. Moonphase

6. Pressure 

7. What I caught 

8. What technique I used

9. Any other extra notes that are needed

I feel that writing these fishing journals and reviewing the information I write has made me a better fisherman to the point where I have no need to hire a guide for bass and  I catch my own fish just fine.

• Like 1

The Anglr app can record and log all of the pertinent data. You can even catalog all of your lures and equipment in the app. You can enter data manually (free) or use their Bullseye hardware (paid). Within the app you can mark cover, structure, and where you catch a fish and what type of fish.

It does take some time to set up if you're going to enter all of your lures and baits.

The only problem I have with the Anglr app is that I keep forgetting to use it. I can't wait to make my first or next cast and forget all about it.

The Bullseye is the jam with the Anglr app.  I've been beta testing pre-release builds, with new features.  They're adding things all the time, and the feature backlog is almost totally driven by angler input.  This is a  nice change from app developers telling us what's useful.

14 minutes ago, Koz said:

The only problem I have with the Anglr app is that I keep forgetting to use it. I can't wait to make my first or next cast and forget all about it.

I have similar apps and I have the same problem! I'm to anxious to get back to fishing to stop and enter the data.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Troy1985s said:

I have similar apps and I have the same problem! I'm to anxious to get back to fishing to stop and enter the data.

I don't know about those other apps, but Anglr uses your GPS coordinates to record both the weather and your location at that specific moment, so doing it away from the fishing spot would mean incorrect data was recorded. I don't even know if the app lets you manually enter your trip info.

1 hour ago, Troy1985s said:

4 minutes ago, Koz said:

I don't know about those other apps, but Anglr uses your GPS coordinates to record both the weather and your location at that specific moment, so doing it away from the fishing spot would mean incorrect data was recorded. I don't even know if the app lets you manually enter your trip info.

Using the Bullseye, you single click for a fish, double click for a way point.  It captures the data there and then.  You can enter your data after the fact, like species, length, weight, even a picture, after the fact, but the GPS coords will be from when you clicked the Bullseye.

• Like 2

This is my last trip that I used the Bullseye. You can scroll down and look at the data that it saves automatically with each catch and also see the blanks I could easily add the information for each catch.

https://my.anglr.tech/shared/Trip/b5abc3a0-e2a2-478c-94f4-a94600f7ec90

I have a computer in my boat and it's connected to my bow-mounted robotic arm (SuperCaster 3000) and my trolling motor. The computer analyzes the weather and other conditions, then searches for fishing reports from all of your apps (thanks for all the input!), and determines where people have caught fish. It drives the boat where it needs to be, then it selects an appropriate bait, scans the fish finder, and casts the bait all on it's own. I just take a nap and when I wake up I'm parked at the dock with a live-well full of fish!

;)

I'm nowhere near organized enough for a journal. Perhaps after I get some years of fishing behind me I will find such a thing useful. Right now it sounds like homework, and I hate homework ;)

I just fish the conditions that are presented to me. That is fun and challenging and that's how I learn. That's what I want to master. That's the whole point for me.

About Apps:

I don't think I'd rely on a phone app. Mobile app companies come and go (like mine did) and your data will go with it when they do. If you're going to fish for the next 30 years what are the odds that any given app will still exist at that time?

If I designed such an app I would collect all of your data and then sell it as a very expensive add-on to the app. Now I know where every fish has ever been caught, and so does everyone else who pays for it. I think there is such an app.

I'm still new to fishing so maybe it will make sense to me one day, but if I want to go fishing then I go fishing. I don't care where it is or when or what happened on this date two years ago, or even yesterday. The fish don't either.

;) All in good fun, no offense intended :)

Cheers!

• Haha 2

Close to 50 years of information  😉

Started out hand written & then switch to Microsoft Word, the same information is in Excel so I can search any parameter.

• Like 1

Old school here, I use leather bound journals that read more like daily journals. I do include hand drawn maps and pictures. I'm hoping my kids and grandchildren enjoy reading them someday.

• Like 3

I use to do that when I was younger. Still have them. I enjoyed doing it. Fun to go back and read some of my scratch. I should have never stopped doing it. And I don't really know why I stopped doing that. 

• Like 2

I keep a physical journal and often return to entries from years ago....but recently I've been implementing Anglr Bullseye; and I'm really impressed with how efficiently I can log catches and compile my own personal fishing data !

• Like 1

No