Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi all, pretty new member here.  Had a question for you all.

 

I started bass fishing this summer and just caught my 50th bass last week!  I initially started using hot dogs as bait, which would catch bass once every roughly 90 min, in the 2-5 pound range, but the number of turtles getting snagged was unbearable, so I switched to soft plastics, starting with Yum dingers/lizards, and occsionally crankbaits/spinnerbaits.  My issue is when I switch to soft plastics, I catch more fish per hour (1.5 per hour instead of .6 an hour), but they are generally small (1 pound or less).  I like that I catch more fish, but I would like to catch bigger ones as well with soft plastics.  Am I doing something wrong?

 

Some info.

 

1.  I flip/pitch 4-5 inch Yum dingers all over near what little cover there is (water plants).  I almost never throw the senko to open water...seems unproductive.

2.  The pond is in NYC, and it takes 20 min to walk around it, so not that big.  

3.  I have tried crankbaits and spinnerbaits, but I haven't gotten anything, besides a giant bluegill.  I have issues with getting them snagged, because there are many underwater branches etc.

4.  I notice bigger bass look at my senko and always avoid it, they don't even bite and spit it out.

5.  I don't think I'm fishing the senko wrong but am open to suggestions, I have caught 2-3 pounders up in Montauk's lakes/ponds.

6.  The water is VERY green.  I use Junebug, watermelon red flake, green pumpkin colors.  

 

Any feedback is appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, HotDogAngler said:

 Am I doing something wrong?

 

 

If you were catching 5lbers on a hotdog in a NYC pond I'd say you were doing SOMETHING right lol. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The best way I know to catch bigger bass is to use bigger bait.  Try a double whopper instead of hot dogs.

 

Seriously though, try throwing some jigs or swim baits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was that 2-5 pounds on a scale or 2-5 pounds by inexperienced eyesight? Because 5 pound bass in NY is great. 5 pound bass in NY on hotdogs is harder to believe in that Bigfoot. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe a hotdog colored senko will work since you said you caught a 5 pound bass on a hotdog.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LOL. I hope those are Sabretts or Nathan's (Papaya King are ok too) preferably skinned ones. No Ball Parks or other bush league franks. I like mine with onions and mustard (its a NYC thing). Dirty water dogs! NYC in the house! NYC PB is 6, they're in there, but on does need to get creative. I might have to hit the Mattawoman with a half smoke... :) 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bump up to a 7" senko. Closer to thickness as a hot dog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Glaucus said:

Was that 2-5 pounds on a scale or 2-5 pounds by inexperienced eyesight? Because 5 pound bass in NY is great. 5 pound bass in NY on hotdogs is harder to believe in that Bigfoot. 

5 pounds on the scale, which is on the lip gripper you see in the pic (that is the fish btw).7puhuUC.jpg

47 minutes ago, CroakHunter said:

Bump up to a 7" senko. Closer to thickness as a hot dog

That actually sounds like a good idea.  Will check it out. Thanks!

2 hours ago, reason said:

LOL. I hope those are Sabretts or Nathan's (Papaya King are ok too) preferably skinned ones. No Ball Parks or other bush league franks. I like mine with onions and mustard (its a NYC thing). Dirty water dogs! NYC in the house! NYC PB is 6, they're in there, but on does need to get creative. I might have to hit the Mattawoman with a half smoke... :) 

I just use a skinned chicken hot dog cause they are cheap and hold up better, $1.89 per 8 pack.  

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You caught bass motionless on chunks of hot dogs . Generally bass are not caught that way but weird things happen . I've caught them on shad sides while cat fishing . 

 

Now you can see these big bass  so they can see you . Try not to be seen . 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, scaleface said:

So , are you just using a chunk of hot dog motionless ,like in cat-fising ?

I wacky rig a whole dog on a 4/0 hook and let it sink naturally, then retrieve after a bit.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, HotDogAngler said:

I wacky rig a whole dog on a 4/0 hook and let it sink naturally, then retrieve after a bit.  

Ok . Thats a new one . LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, scaleface said:

Ok . Thats a new one . LOL

:P ikr, seems weird, but works for me, at least when the turtles don't freak out for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Moved out of NYC (Manhattan) 28 years ago for the Hudson Valley. Never even knew there were fish in Central Park till this season... I gotta get there one of these days!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Eric J said:

Moved out of NYC (Manhattan) 28 years ago for the Hudson Valley. Never even knew there were fish in Central Park till this season... I gotta get there one of these days!

:) many do not know, but it's convenient and fun!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HotDogAngler said:

:) many do not know, but it's convenient and fun!

Now I have to figure out how to explain the rods and tackle in the car the next time we go to visit my daughter or see a show... :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eric J said:

Now I have to figure out how to explain the rods and tackle in the car the next time we go to visit my daughter or see a show... :D

But fishing is the show! :P

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bigger soft plastics...brush hogs, beaver style baits, large 7-10" worms. The color selection is spot on in my opinion. Congrats you are off to an awesome start. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LCG said:

Bigger soft plastics...brush hogs, beaver style baits, large 7-10" worms. The color selection is spot on in my opinion. Congrats you are off to an awesome start. 

:) thanks!  I think bigger worms is a good idea.  Time to justify spending more $ :P.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, HotDogAngler said:

:) thanks!  I think bigger worms is a good idea.  Time to justify spending more $ :P.

Sir, you have just met the bait monkey :) The addiction to buying tackle is a real thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love me a Chicago dog, but I’m not giving one up to a bass. Try a sour gummy worm, those work pretty well! If not that I’d say a big worm or jig.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update!  Just caught my new PB using a 5 inch Watermelon Seed Yum Dinger!  Casting out to deeper water definitely made the bite slower, but yielded bigger fish.

 

xLHgVfo.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the love of god man, hide your surroundings when you post!  Once someone here finds out where you're catching 5 lb bass within walking distance of a metro in NY that place will be fished out by next summer!  Grats on the fish btw!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, blckshirt98 said:

For the love of god man, hide your surroundings when you post!  Once someone here finds out where you're catching 5 lb bass within walking distance of a metro in NY that place will be fished out by next summer!  Grats on the fish btw!

TBH I don't think it can be any more pressured than it is now, and there aren't more than 8-10 spots to fish on this pond, cause of the fences.   

 

And thanks :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×