Jump to content
Otter17

Kvd Sexy Dawg?

Recommended Posts

I just picked up a bunch of Spooks, Jr’s, and Puppy’s. Then I just noticed the Sexy Dawgs. I have never seen them before. Should I be trying these out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a couple, as well as other styles from other companies. They all work. I tie on a spook more often than not though when I opt for a walking bait. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Itshardwick, thats good to know. The Spooks work so well the way they are, it’s hard for me to buy any other walking Baits. 

 

The only reason for me is maybe the offering of different color patterns that Heddon offers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have one of the Sexy Dawgs but I haven't caught anything on it yet. Then again, I don't throw it much. I have had success with a Spook. The only reason I bought the Sexy Dawg was because I wanted a walker that was larger then my Spook.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used Spooks for a couple decades and then this spring I got some Lucky Craft Sammies on sale at Ollie's. I don't think I'll go back to Spooks any time soon. Sammies are just so easy to use. It doesn't take much to walk the dog with a Sammie. I found myself bringing them along even if I didn't think the topwater bite would be on. Also the hooks are super sharp.  If you find one cheap buy it and try it. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They're interchangeable in my opinion.  Action is basically the same and I can't say I've seen one consistently out fish the other.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do like the Green Gizzard Shad finish in the Sexy Dawg. I fish some really crystal clear waters, and that color resembles the Shad in these lakes pretty well. I’ll probably pick that one up specifically for those waters. And have my Spooks and Puppy’s for other waters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had a few in both sizes and they all wanted to dive under the water if there was much chop. I have a Mega Dawg now that is really nice. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My walking baits are: wooden Sammy's, Vixen's and Zip n Ziggy's.

Tom

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/18/2018 at 9:44 PM, Otter17 said:

I just picked up a bunch of Spooks, Jr’s, and Puppy’s. Then I just noticed the Sexy Dawgs. I have never seen them before. Should I be trying these out?

Seems like there is a range of opinions on the Dawgs.  I've found them easier to walk than a lot of competitors due to their shape, and they've caught bass in ponds for me.  

 

However, I also tried the Sammy for the first time this year, and as expensive as they are, I can see how it is easy to justify the relatively high prices.  I'm a pretty cheap weekend angler, and mostly stick to baits under $10 each; but I can easily understand now why guys don't hesitate to fork out the $$ for Sammy's.  I know they would be my choice if I needed more walking baits.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/19/2018 at 4:47 PM, Otter17 said:

I do like the Green Gizzard Shad finish in the Sexy Dawg. I fish some really crystal clear waters, and that color resembles the Shad in these lakes pretty well. I’ll probably pick that one up specifically for those waters.

Otter, I would buy one or two and try them out.  Honestly, you won't regret it.  I prefer the larger size for casting distance.  And... also get a Sammy or two to try.  You also certainly won't regret that.  

Not sure how long your walking bait bite will last up in Ill, but go ahead and stock up.

I will continue to remain a Heddon fan.  Just recently I was using a saltwater Super Spook Jr in Chartreuse for night fishing in a pond and catching them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sexy Dawgs are the only walking baits I use anymore.  Really easy to walk and they catch fish. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had tons of luck with them in all sizes in sexy or ghost shad. I would buy them on sale at DSG. I had one of my most memorable catches with one parallel to the bank. A 4.5 lb bass jumped out of the water like a great white when it hit the bait from the underside. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Diggy said:

I've had tons of luck with them in all sizes in sexy or ghost shad. I would buy them on sale at DSG. I had one of my most memorable catches with one parallel to the bank. A 4.5 lb bass jumped out of the water like a great white when it hit the bait from the underside. 

😂 I love that imagery! “Like a Great White!” That’s Awesome!👍😊

2 hours ago, snake95 said:

Otter, I would buy one or two and try them out.  Honestly, you won't regret it.  I prefer the larger size for casting distance.  And... also get a Sammy or two to try.  You also certainly won't regret that.  

Not sure how long your walking bait bite will last up in Ill, but go ahead and stock up.

I will continue to remain a Heddon fan.  Just recently I was using a saltwater Super Spook Jr in Chartreuse for night fishing in a pond and catching them.

That’s what I’ll do then. Thanks snake95! I just checked out the Sammie’s like you said. Never heard of them before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The first walk the dog bait I ever bought was a Sammy 100.  They are great baits but they do something I don't like and its that they sit tail down in the water if you stop retrieving them.  The Sexy Dawgs sit relatively flat in the water when at rest and it makes it makes it easier to get them to start walking as soon as they hit the water. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's definitely worthwhile to have a variety of walking topwaters in different brands and sizes. They sit differently in the water. They sound different as you retrieve. Some splash more, some less. Some walk better slower, some faster. Some have tighter walk, some wider.  By owning several different kinds, you can cover your bases for what bass might want that day.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Sexy Dawg Jr. in Blue Gizzard is my favorite walking bait. I caught 8 on it this morning in less than an hour before work. My last 3 outings, I have done very well with this bait, over 30 fish, over 30 top water strikes!...life is good....lol. I do upgrade the hooks, I find the stock hooks bend a bit easy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On October 21, 2018 at 5:56 PM, moguy1973 said:

The first walk the dog bait I ever bought was a Sammy 100.  They are great baits but they do something I don't like and its that they sit tail down in the water if you stop retrieving them.  The Sexy Dawgs sit relatively flat in the water when at rest and it makes it makes it easier to get them to start walking as soon as they hit the water. 

The reason newer walking lures sit tail downward is they jump when worked like a baitfish trying to escape a predator triggering a strike response. 

Tom

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for sharing that WRB!  I was wondering why they sat like that. I didnt know if that’s just they were, or if a purpose was behind it. 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×