Jump to content
IgotWood

Nose-hook a senko

Recommended Posts

I looked in the Senko FAQ thread with no luck. 

 

Anybody ever nose hook a senko. I was in a situation yesterday with super spooky fish holding very tight to cypress, very muddy water. I spooked a couple of fish holding near the surface and up right to the trees. Had two undetected bites on a 5” senko. I know of was putting my bait on fish. Just couldn’t get them to bite. 

 

Since they were so finicky, I thought about nose-hooking a 3” or 4” Senko. I’ve never tried it before. I dug through my bag and didn’t find any smaller senkos. I am curious if anybody does this? 

 

PS; I would have tried a jig but I forgot my jig box in my truck😒

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I have nose hooked them (and not just for drop shot). 

Can't really say I have had success doing so with the longer

versions (4 and 5")

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Darren. said:

Yes, I have nose hooked them (and not just for drop shot). 

Can't really say I have had success doing so with the longer

versions (4 and 5")

Darren, you can probably guess exactly where I was. They were back there for sure. I’ve never seen the water so dirty back there. I’ll hit it again this weekend, weather permitting. And I’ll be sure to bring a bag of smaller senkos with me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about wacky rig 3" Senko instead of nose hook? I had some success on wacky rig Roboworm Ned Worm 3" when they roaming around grass in shallow.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I have always said....There is no wrong way to rig a Senko.;)  My concern with nose hooking would be that the bass would tail bite and you would just end up losing a lot of baits.  While I don't wacky rig, it would at least give you a better hook position for bites.  I use the smaller Senko's for trailers and for NED rigs.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have done it with a fluke and it gives the fluke a lot more action. But that was warm water in the spring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, IgotWood said:

Darren, you can probably guess exactly where I was. They were back there for sure. I’ve never seen the water so dirty back there. I’ll hit it again this weekend, weather permitting. And I’ll be sure to bring a bag of smaller senkos with me. 

Yep, gotcha ;) 

 

Do give the Yamamoto Shad Shape worm a try, too. That sucker nose hooked

with a drop is deadly. As well, taking a 1/0 and mojo rigging one is pretty sweet.

 

BTW, I haven't driven by the location recently, but last I went there (on the big

side), the smaller side was horrific with weedy cover, some of the worst I've seen

in all my years fishing there. Has that died off?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Darren. yup it was the worst I’d ever seen. Most of the lake was unfishable. But way up in the back, the surface was cleared of the green. The weeds are beginning to recede too, which helps. I’ve never seen the water so muddy in there before though. However, we did get a couple inches of rain the day prior. 

 

I jave heen fishing the big side lately. No luck, but I have been finding a ton of fish and bait out there in the deep water. Now I just have to figure out how to catch them. Let me know if you’d like to meet up this weekend. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a big Senko user, it's my crutch. That being said the Senko is known as the one fish lure. If you nose hook it, it would become the one cast lure. LOL

  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 7:08 AM, TOXIC said:

 While I don't wacky rig

Blasphemy!! Burn the witch! :xmasicon_wink:

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wacky rig sometimes. The grass is too think for it on this particular lake. I can get really annoying pulling weeds off after every cast. And for some reason, they eat the worm t-rigged better here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Senkos just seem too heavy and soft for nose-hooking. They don't really swing and glide like a fluke anyway, so not sure what nose hooking would really accomplish...I at least can't imagine an advantage over a weightless t-rig for a senko.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, NYWayfarer said:

Blasphemy!! Burn the witch! :xmasicon_wink:

I know right?:lol:  I am truly guilty.  With as many Senkos as I've thrown, all sizes, I can count on 1 hand the number of times I have wacky rigged.  The only time I have ever really done it is when I am in a school of fish and my Senko has been destroyed by catching T-rigged enough that I want to get a few more fish with it, so I wacky rig it.  My beefs are that when wacky rigged and the Senko get damaged (even with the bands), you are SOL because the bait is either gone or unusable.  I have stood shoulder to shoulder with someone wacky rigging and I catch just as many if not more T-Rigged.  Another reason is that I work the Senko all the way back to the boat and with it T-rigged, it climbs up the water column faster and better than wacky rigged so I get more time with the bait in the water and not casting.  I am normally in pretty thick grass and wacky just fouls up quick.  Or it just might be a confidence thing for me.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TOXIC said:

My beefs are that when wacky rigged and the Senko get damaged (even with the bands), you are SOL because the bait is either gone or unusable. 

I save the pieces for the good ole Ned Rig or jig trailers.

 

The bands have helped me make a GYBC bait last a whole lot longer. The fact that they keep the Bass from shaking them off alone makes them worth their weight in gold.

 

I understand the T-rigging though. I read somewhere that it's Gary's favorite way to rig and he designed them for that specific purpose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, NYWayfarer said:

I save the pieces for the good ole Ned Rig or jig trailers.

 

The bands have helped me make a GYBC bait last a whole lot longer. The fact that they keep the Bass from shaking them off alone makes them worth their weight in gold.

 

I understand the T-rigging though. I read somewhere that it's Gary's favorite way to rig and he designed them for that specific purpose.

Good use for them.  Here's another little tidbit about the Senko......Hold one up by the nose (the front wider part) and you will see, they are not straight.  There is a curve in every one of them, it's by design.  ;)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NYWayfarer said:

I save the pieces for the good ole Ned Rig or jig trailers.

Thanks....

 

Now I wonder how many I have tossed.... $$$$..... GRRR

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/27/2018 at 11:29 AM, IgotWood said:

@Darren. yup it was the worst I’d ever seen. Most of the lake was unfishable. But way up in the back, the surface was cleared of the green. The weeds are beginning to recede too, which helps. I’ve never seen the water so muddy in there before though. However, we did get a couple inches of rain the day prior. 

 

I jave heen fishing the big side lately. No luck, but I have been finding a ton of fish and bait out there in the deep water. Now I just have to figure out how to catch them. Let me know if you’d like to meet up this weekend. 

What time are you heading out? I'm not sure if I can make it, and if it is

raining, since I have no scuppers, I ain't goin' out ;) ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Darren. said:

What time are you heading out? I'm not sure if I can make it, and if it is

raining, since I have no scuppers, I ain't goin' out ;) ....

Sadly I was told I will he going out to sea in a couple days. So I will he hanging out with my kids all weekend. No fishing :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, IgotWood said:

Sadly I was told I will he going out to sea in a couple days. So I will he hanging out with my kids all weekend. No fishing :(

Aww, man. Well, hey, spending time with the kids is all good. :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have tried nose hooking them to no avail. I have way better luck on a Carolina rig. My crutch. It drives me crazy going weightless. I need to feel the resistance.😬

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing forum

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×