I am looking for a new reel. I have always liked shimano reels, I currently have the Caius and I love it. I have been intrigued by the casitas. I have heard its a great reel. Going to put it on a jig rod. Pls let me know your opinion!

Great reel can’t say enough good things about it minus the frame that reel is bad to the bone.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Burrows said:

Great reel can’t say enough good things about it minus the frame that reel is bad to the bone.

if the casitas had an aluminum frame it would be a 200 reel imo

• Confused 1

The one I had felt like it strained really hard under a load, even only using it for jerkbaits. It cast great but I got rid of it because it felt like it was working so hard each time I caught a fish.

56 minutes ago, Burrows said:

if the casitas had an aluminum frame it would be a 200 reel imo

8C6EC883-4190-462D-A0C1-5BEAB5CFEFB4.jpeg

Thanks man I appreciate the info, nice catch btw thats a toad

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Joshua van Wyk said:

I prefer the Slx over the Casitas. And a Daiwa Fuego over both.

Can you tell me a little more about why you like the SLX and Fuego, and why you prefer it over the casitas.

Fuego has a great magnetic breaking system that works very well. Smooth retrieve and a metal frame, with plastic side plates. 

Never fished a Shimano reel so can't say first hand. A lot of people like them though. 

The Casitas is a plastic reel.  Shimano can make rigid and smooth plastic reels like the Chronarch but unfortunately this did not trickle down to the Casitas and it is not as smooth or solid feeling as the SLX and Fuego.  It does have an exterenally adjustable centrifugal brake unlike the SLX and has a lighter spool than the Fuego so there are some advantages to the Casitas.  

I was really interested in the Casitas and wanted to see how much of what shimano had achieved in the older Ci4+ Chronarch could make it into the Casitas.  I really like the small size, white block SVS brakes, spool weight and styling of the reel.  I've got the MGL variant and is nowhere near worth the $130 I payed for it.  I wouldn't pay $100 for the Casitas MGL let alone the regular Casitas.  Some of that Shimano fancy pants plastic and refinement really should have trickled down into the Casitas.  This reel could have been stepping stone to the Chronarch showing that a plastic reel could be smooth and refined at a lower workhorse price point.  It could have changed people's minds about plastic reels and helped to push more guys towards the Chronarch as a high end plaaric reel upgrade.  Instead it further cemented the sentiment that plastic reels are geary feeling, noisy and flex.  I was really hoping I was going to like mine and look forward to trying a Ci4+ reel but screw that.  No more plastic reels for me.  Even my plasic Zaion Daiwa T3 Ballistic is a noisy turd.  It's almost as bad as the Casitas.

• Like 1