Jump to content
HazeRVA

Avid X vs ALX Zolo Deputy (or others?)

Recommended Posts

Ok, I am just about ready to get my new jig/t-rig rod. Have it narrowed down to either the St. Croix Avid X 7' MHF or the ALX Zolo Deputy. I have not been able to hold the Zolo (hoping to at the Richmond Fishing Expo Jan. 18-20). I use straight braid so the micro guides shouldn't be an issue. May try FC, but haven't decided. Will be paired with a Tatula SV.

 

I'm sure there will be a lot of "You can't go wrong with either" posts, but just wanted to hear peoples thoughts. This will be my most expensive combo by far, so want to get as much info as possible.

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an ALX Zolo and would absolutely buy another. I have only held an Avid in the store, never fished with one, so I really can't compare.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MPM IV said:

I have an ALX Zolo and would absolutely buy another. I have only held an Avid in the store, never fished with one, so I really can't compare.

Agreed, I have a Zolo I use for jigs and t-rigs just like you want to use it for and I absolutely love it. I've said it on this forum before, but ALX is on another level as far as product quality and customer service. I talked to their customer service to get a recommendation on what model rod I should get for what applications I want to use it for, and after purchasing the rod I received a hand-written letter thanking me for the purchase and hoping it's been working well. If you go ALX, you won't be disappointed.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The deputy is a great rod, but it may be a bit underpowered for heavier jigs. I have used mine for jigs, but if I'm flipping a jig in heavy wood or thicker vegetation, I usually rig the jig on a Toadface or Dragger or Ikos hammer. My favorite jig rod is actually a ALX Ikos Hammer 7-3. I insist there is no better rod for the price point of the IKOS. As far as the Deputy goes, I love it for T rigs and light T rigged tubes and even small finesse jigs. You will love the Deputy. Or any other ALX rod for that matter.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys! I mainly stick to 3/8 jigs. And want to stay as close to 7' as possible. Have to fit these in my car and anything longer becomes an issue.

 

Looking forward to hearing more!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The neat thing about ALX is you can call and Alex will be the one answering the phone and will spend how ever long he needs to answer your questions. You don’t get that everywhere. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, if this tells you anything... This past year I sold an AvidX and bought a Zolo.  Better balance, lighter.  Excellent rod, I’ll be buying another Zolo in the spring..

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you can do better than alx.  I was not impressed with the 2 I had. They were heavy and lacked sensitivity to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, jbrew73 said:

I think you can do better than alx.  I was not impressed with the 2 I had. They were heavy and lacked sensitivity to me.

This is opposite of what I have read.  I don't consider these rod weights heavy.  More like average to slightly below average.

 

http://www.bluewatergear.co.za/bass-fishing-rods/13-alx-zolo-casting-rods.html

 

Lot of the reviews (opinions) I have read think ALX rods are more sensitive than their price point.  What rods are you comparing them to?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, new2BC4bass said:

This is opposite of what I have read.  I don't consider these rod weights heavy.  More like average to slightly below average.

 

http://www.bluewatergear.co.za/bass-fishing-rods/13-alx-zolo-casting-rods.html

 

Lot of the reviews (opinions) I have read think ALX rods are more sensitive than their price point.  What rods are you comparing them to?

Falcon cara.   I read a lot of positive reviews on them as well but they just didn’t work out for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jbrew73 said:

I think you can do better than alx.  I was not impressed with the 2 I had. They were heavy and lacked sensitivity to me.

Then you would really dislike the St. Croix..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jbrew73 said:

Falcon cara.   I read a lot of positive reviews on them as well but they just didn’t work out for me.

Thanks.  I only have one Cara.  It was a replacement for an original Expert that was broken...my fault.  I do like my Experts a lot (originals).

 

OP:  I don't have any experience with any of the Avid lines.  Read good things about them, tho.  I have a Deputy I bought last winter on sale.  I can't comment on how sensitive it might be.  Due to work I barely got out last year to fish.  Had the Deputy out twice, with new-2-me reels to try.  No tests done on sensitivity.  Seems like a very nice rod so far.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, HazeRVA said:

Any thoughts on the Daiwa Tatula Elite AGS 7' M-MH/XF Ehrler? 

I dont think you can go wrong with any of these rods! I haven't had the chance to fish any of these, but if I had to choose I'd go Alx first, Daiwa second, and Avid last. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Joshua van Wyk said:

I dont think you can go wrong with any of these rods! I haven't had the chance to fish any of these, but if I had to choose I'd go Alx first, Daiwa second, and Avid last. 

This goes to show that all people have different experiences as I don't care for ALX rods at all. Every thing is not always meant to be for everyone. I recommend getting them in your hand before making a decision. I personally would look at the Megabass Levante being released in a month, the Shimano Zodias, Dobyns Champion, Daiwa Tatula Elite, and even looking at the Expride and Orochi XX.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t know anything about the Alx rods but I do fish with 2 avid-x. One is mine a 7’ medium spinning and the other is the exact one your looking at. My dad owns the 7’ medium-heavy fast casting rod paired with tatula sv and lord does he love it. That rod bombs any bait he puts on it, light and sensitive yet loads of power to horse a fish out of the depths and slop! He loves it and the few times I fished it I was very impressed. I love my avidx spinning rod 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok. I can get a Loomis E6X 7'1" MHXF for $99. While that's a great deal, would it be a good choice? Only rated to 5/8 oz so wouldn't think so even though it's a JWR. Haven't really looked into these rods.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, HazeRVA said:

Ok. I can get a Loomis E6X 7'1" MHXF for $99. While that's a great deal, would it be a good choice? Only rated to 5/8 oz so wouldn't think so even though it's a JWR. Haven't really looked into these rods.

For 99 dollars that’s sounds like a good price. I only throw jigs from 1/2oz and less so that wouldn’t bother me so much plus seems like most of the loomis Rods I own can throw a little more then rated for!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welp, E6X are all gone now. Figured they would be. Need to learn patience. Got money burning a hole in my pocket haha. Need to hold out at least a few weeks to be able to hold an ALX. 

 

In other news, I ordered the Tat SV last night!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How do the Dobyns Sierras compare to the Avid X and Zolo? 703 or 704? Still on sale and seem to be a ton of rod for that price.

 

Which rod from the Levante lineup should I be looking at? These have piqued my interest.

 

Budget is right around 200, was only looking at the Daiwa Tatula Elite AGS since it was used for around that.

 

Tat SV will be here today!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HazeRVA said:

How do the Dobyns Sierras compare to the Avid X and Zolo? 703 or 704? Still on sale and seem to be a ton of rod for that price.

 

Which rod from the Levante lineup should I be looking at? These have piqued my interest.

 

Budget is right around 200, was only looking at the Daiwa Tatula Elite AGS since it was used for around that.

 

Tat SV will be here today!

Dobyns makes a good, well-balanced rod (far superior to the AvidX IMO) but I would not rate it as particularly sensitive.  I think you would find the ALX Zolo or Kistler Helium3 to be much “crisper” and almost on par with my Orochi Braillist.  Or, if out of your price range, take a look at the new Tatula rods at approx $150...  I would rate their balance similar to the Dobyns but better in terms of overall sensitivity.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks @FryDog62! Think it is still between the Avid X and ALX Zolo, those are the only ones I have a real chance to handle before buying. 2 more weeks and I will see ALX in person, have already reached out about pricing on possibly getting the Deputy done up with gold accents instead of the normal blue to match the Tatula haha.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone has a personal preference. I own ALX, St Croix, and Dobyns among others. Personally I don’t care for either of the 3 as a t-rig or jig rod. St croix and ALX are tip heavy. Dobyns is balanced amazingly and is super comfortable but lacks the sensitivity I look for. The higher end Falcons and Kistlers check the box for me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HazeRVA said:

Thanks @FryDog62! Think it is still between the Avid X and ALX Zolo, those are the only ones I have a real chance to handle before buying. 2 more weeks and I will see ALX in person, have already reached out about pricing on possibly getting the Deputy done up with gold accents instead of the normal blue to match the Tatula haha.

Post a pic if you get that one, sounds beautiful!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I think I am going to pass on the Sierra sale. Even at that price I'm not comfortable buying a rod sight unseen. Wish I had somewhere local to be able to check it out. I'm sure with what I will be comparing this next rod to (currently using an $80 Abu Vendetta for frogs/jigs) any of these rods will be worlds better, but I'm just not comfortable spending that kind of money on something I haven't be able to feel.

 

Did go to BPS yesterday and put the Tat SV on the Avid X, felt great in hand, but did notice that the balance point was pretty much at the hook keeper. I'm still so new to this that I probably won't notice this is actual use, but something to think about. Anxious to check out the Zolos in a couple weeks, which just so happens to be my birthday weekend!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing forum

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×