FryDog62

Lews Custom Plus - Jerkbait rod

Interesting concept for this rod - shorter handle for snapping Jerkbaits and walking baits... without hitting your forearm or side.  Has anyone used one and have an opinion?  I wonder if the shorter handle is a negative when casting or fighting bigger fish..?

Lew's Custom Plus Speed Stick Cast Rod 6'7" Medium

Taper Line Wt. Lure Wt. Guides Handle Type Handle Length Stock Price Qty
Moderate Fast 8-14lb 1/4-3/4oz 9+Tip Custom Plus A 10-1/4"

*** just did a review of this rod. I’m thinking of getting one as well. Look forward to seeing if anyone has any experience with it. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, tje0705 said:

*** just did a review of this rod. I’m thinking of getting one as well. Look forward to seeing if anyone has any experience with it. 

Was the *** above reference to Walker Smith?  I did see that one, sounded positive..

Just now, FryDog62 said:

Was the *** above reference to Walker Smith?  I did see that one, sounded positive..

Yes that’s the one!

• Thanks 1

I have the 6'8 topwater, I bought it specifically because of the short handle and love it. I caught my personal best LMB at 4.92lbs on it and had no problem. I've also caught several 6-8lb snakeheads on it and had no problem either. I really enjoy the short handle, no more forearm banging.

• Thanks 1

I just bought one today and plan on trying it tomorrow.  I'll let you know how well it works out.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

I just bought one today and plan on trying it tomorrow.  I'll let you know how well it works out.

I walked into Cabelas today and found one last remaining Lews Custom Plus Jerkbait rod- and it was on Clearance price, so I bought it!

I "customized" my 6'9" JB rod with a hack saw. I would go shorter, but I like to cast 2 handed most of the time. Too long a handle is a deal breaker for JBs for me. 

• Like 1

I took the new rod for a spin.  It works as advertised.  Handles the light jerkbaits just fine.  The short handle really makes the snap snap retrieve a breeze.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1