I am currently looking at purchasing a pitching reel.  I am a bank fisherman and use a baitcaster quite a bit and have a lot of fun.  Any suggestions, because I read the reviews for Ardent pitching reels (f 700) and they were not good.  Any advice would surely be appreciated.  Thank-You

You can pitch with any reel ya want, I would be more concerned with rod selection.

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, Catt said:

You can pitch with any reel ya want, I would be more concerned with rod selection.

Exactly!  I pitch cast with every setup I carry, spinning included.  Very useful skill.  I don't even get fancy with a special "pitching rod."  I pick the rod that will fish the bait and cover.  From there, just learn to pitc\h with it.

• Like 4

I'm with Catt and J Francho here. Use any reel. Set to free or almost free spool and use your thumb. Any casting reel will work.

• Like 1

You can pitch with any reel but I like reels with lighter weight spools that start up easier and with less effort.  Braking systems that allow you run little to no spool tension are also a plus.  

These guys all got it right. Learn and practice pitching with every rod n reel you’ve got, some rods make it easier then others. I can pitch with any reel I own, but I do feel the centrifugal brakes on my Shimanos overall work best for pitching. I do find it’s more comfortable with a well balanced rod and with a more compact reel like a Curado/Chronarch 50 or Curado 70, or even a Chronarch MGL or 13 Metanium/Metanium MGL. Another tip - to get the beat pitching possible you want the best startup performance possible from your spool. At a minimum that means having your spool bearings properly and completely flushed then properly lightly oiled, a full super tuning on your reel helps. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, kschultz76 said:

These guys all got it right. Learn and practice pitching with every rod n reel you’ve got, some rods make it easier then others. I can pitch with any reel I own, but I do feel the centrifugal brakes on my Shimanos overall work best for pitching. I do find it’s more comfortable with a well balanced rod and with a more compact reel like a Curado/Chronarch 50 or Curado 70, or even a Chronarch MGL or 13 Metanium/Metanium MGL. Another tip - to get the beat pitching possible you want the best startup performance possible from your spool. At a minimum that means having your spool bearings properly and completely flushed then properly lightly oiled, a full super tuning on your reel helps. 

Agreed.  You can pitch with any reel, but balance is important a tip heavy combo can wear you out when pitching for extended periods of time.

7 hours ago, Catt said:

Very much this.  Daiwa Fuego or Lews Tournament MB are high value reels.  Id go with at least a 7 speed

• Like 1

I agree with everyone else.

With that being said, since you are fishing from bank, skipping is another technique that can get your bait in a few more places. 

For a combo of pitching and skipping, a Diawa tatula with the sv spool is hard to beat.

You can usually get a good deal on e-bay.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, J Francho said:

Exactly!  I pitch cast with every setup I carry, spinning included.  Very useful skill.  I don't even get fancy with a special "pitching rod."  I pick the rod that will fish the bait and cover.  From there, just learn to pitc\h with it.

My worm & jig rods are identical; I cast, flip, & pitch with them. As I'm working an area I don't change rods because the distance to the target changes.

Bass Pro Shops Carbonlite 2.0, in a high ratio (maybe even 8.3) makes a great pitching reel.