FryDog62

Minnesota Fishing Report - 2019

2 hours ago, J Francho said:

That stuff is called water willow, and it's all over Oneida Lake, and it's pretty fun way to fish.  We use frogs and blind cast into there, and hope to feel the weight of the fish when we hear the strike.  The other way is a heavy pegged bullet and something slender like a fluke or Pit Boss, and pitch at the moving stalks.

The water underneath the grass line was actually a little deeper than it appears (2-3 feet, altho it looks like 2-3 inches). I did the high trajectory underhand flip similar to a punch rig, and threw a 3/8 oz All-Terrain “Grassmaster” Jig (based here in good ol’ Savage, MN ;) so it could get down in the water without getting too snagged in the roots... if there were fish there they’d hit it on the reaction.  If not, sit back and sip some coffee and wait for the next “jiggle.”  

55336552-30B0-4967-9698-343FFE650F35.jpeg

• Like 3

That's about the same depth here.  We sometimes use a push pole to get into the bigger fields.

• Like 1

I'm heading to Vermillion Thurs-Sunday to chase smallies (and walleye). Can't wait! I love me some rocky, tanic lakes. 

• Like 1

The river bite is on!  My Father and I caught 18 smallies in about 3.5 hours this morning, all on topwaters or wake baits.  In about a 10 minute span, I caught a pair of 19's.

IMG_0772_sRGB.JPG

IMG_0776.JPG

• Like 3

3 hours ago, gimruis said:

The river bite is on!  My Father and I caught 18 smallies in about 3.5 hours this morning, all on topwaters or wake baits.  In about a 10 minute span, I caught a pair of 19's.

IMG_0772_sRGB.JPG

IMG_0776.JPG

That is awesome!  Hard to beat the river... the first half of the season has been 2 hard years in a row.  Had to settle into a pattern sooner or later.  Glad you got them dialed in... which topwaters worked best?  

The small whopper plopper and the discontinued storm subwart caught all the fish. Bright colors because the water clarity is still a little murkier than usual.

• Like 1

Wasn't skunked today, only got one...but what a one.

20190731_082147-1.jpg.b9ebec1c29a1806b0bc75708cbcc8c10.jpg

3.92 lbs - best of the year

• Like 4

I went back to the river yesterday and my friend and I caught 24 smallmouth, 2 pike, and 2 walleyes in about 4.5 hours.  We caught most of the smallmouth on a new lure I found to replace the discontinued storm subwart - an XPS shallow crank in hot craw.  My two biggest were 19 3/4 and 20 inches.

IMG_1823.JPG

8-2-19 toad.jpg

IMG_1830.JPG

• Like 4

9 hours ago, gimruis said:

I went back to the river yesterday and my friend and I caught 24 smallmouth, 2 pike, and 2 walleyes in about 4.5 hours.  We caught most of the smallmouth on a new lure I found to replace the discontinued storm subwart - an XPS shallow crank in hot craw.  My two biggest were 19 3/4 and 20 inches.

IMG_1823.JPG

8-2-19 toad.jpg

IMG_1830.JPG

Udda Man gimruis... rivers are starting to get better despite high/chocolatey water.  Got out on the Miss myself... plastics were the ticket for me..

969E6347-1058-4737-ACF0-54C356F4F9E5.jpeg

• Like 4

On a west metro lake today.  Got a late start but still had a pretty good day...also despite the warm temps.

12-14 largies.  Largest was around 17 in.  They were on the weed edge in 6-8 fow.  Senko did the trick again for me.

You guys are pushing me to the rivers soon though!

I gotta up my deeper game.

Out at 8am again, one 14" LMB at about 8:40 in the shallows, a bluegill and a pumpkinseed followed that, then nothing.

Went to deeper water where the sonar showed them. Tried T-Rigs, wacky Senko and swim-jigs there, but nothing wanted any of it.

2 hours ago, MN Fisher said:

I gotta up my deeper game.

Out at 8am again, one 14" LMB at about 8:40 in the shallows, a bluegill and a pumpkinseed followed that, then nothing.

Went to deeper water where the sonar showed them. Tried T-Rigs, wacky Senko and swim-jigs there, but nothing wanted any of it.

Dropshot comes in handy in these situations, and if it's hard bottom.. the football jig. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, punch said:

Dropshot comes in handy in these situations, and if it's hard bottom.. the football jig. 

Tried drop-shot last week and it was a zero...which is why I didn't try it this week.

The bottom of North Arm (where I was the past two weeks) is muck - had to rinse the anchor every time I pulled it up.

Your not the only one that struggles with a drop shot, MN Fisher. I do too.

• Like 2

@MN Fisher Aggressive presentations like deep crankbaits, Jigs and 8 to 10" worms have been outperforming finesse presentations for me lately. Don't be afraid to try bigger baits, sometimes you need to trigger bigger bass with a worthwhile meal.IMG_20190730_211135_566.thumb.jpg.fe17c150b99502cd6186b9655569b452.jpg

20190808_160249.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sully420 said:

@MN Fisher Aggressive presentations like deep crankbaits, Jigs and 8 to 10" worms have been outperforming finesse presentations for me lately. Don't be afraid to try bigger baits, sometimes you need to trigger bigger bass with a worthwhile meal.

[Pic]

[Pic]

Dang man, I have been waiting for you to start dropping photos of giants like late summer/fall of last year. Is that a double on the same crank in the first pic?

Got up to Knife Lake last Sunday for a pick up derby. ended up 7th of 25, but did get Big Bass at 5.01lbs. Caught on a Spro Popping Bronzeye frog in all black. Like someone dropped a bowling ball on my bait. Best topwater bite of the year so far. 

4SU1na7.jpg

• Like 2

@ThatOneBigKid yeah 2 on the same crankbaits left fish was 4.9lb right was 4.5 second pic was 5.5lb. Late summer is definitely my jam. I have tons of pics just hate posting picks on here cuz it's a pain. I post pics on fishbrain rsullivan6186

• Like 1

Went an hour North of the metro to miss the rain this morning.  Better fish were on plastics skipped under docks... a couple on Neds in 8-10 fow..

F32AFFFD-A18B-494A-90EE-45E8FF27BCAA.jpeg

• Like 2

Hey Fry how do you hold all those fish up without lipping them? Everyone else holds their fish by the mouth and yours look like they’re on a peg.

8 minutes ago, gimruis said:

Hey Fry how do you hold all those fish up without lipping them? Everyone else holds their fish by the mouth and yours look like they’re on a peg.

I'm thinking finger(s) under the gill-plate.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gimruis said:

MNFisher is right... nice and smooth in the gill plate (against the cheek not the gill) and less chance of jaw ligament injury to the fish.  I got a bad case of bass thumb from lip gripping a couple years ago, that after this photo was taken developed into a nasty infection.  But if I do lip them now I’m wearing Fish Monkey gloves ;)

8C7DA489-C485-4C9E-A47A-6CF03B0CA89F.jpeg

Anyone fishing “The Boat Center” Smallmouth tournament on the Mississippi in Anoka this weekend?  

Bantam MGL XG RH 8:1 For sale if you're interested.

Was out early this morning on a west metro lake.  Spent 2 hours searching for fish.  Landed one dink so technically did not get skunked.  A beautiful morning but fish were nowhere to be found.

Went Saturday 6am-noon. Could not get one bite on top water, senko, jig, or crankbait. Switched to a ned rig (which i've never fished before) and started hammering them. Best 5 went for 17 and caught one after another between 2.5 and 4.25#. I was surprised at the sizes from the small bait and it was a lot of fun working it. Most were 8-12 feet of water but the 4.25 was up closer to 6. I used a lifted jig offset ned 1/8oz and just a scrap piece of green pumpkin senko that I had saved from a chewed up full worm. 

• Like 3