Lefty76

Braid versus mono/flouro on a baitcaster

Maybe it’s because I am having to re-train my thumb after a long hiatus, but braid behaves very different coming off a baitcast reel due to its weight.

While casting a 5 inch whopper plopper on braid is a joy,  casting a light worm or spinnerbait in the wind is as if you are just begging for a backlash.  I have a spinning reel with 30lb braid which will be my dedicated reel for weightless worms.  

With regards to bottom fishing worms, I may have to give fluorocarbon a try as I hear it sinks faster than mono.

How many of you base your choice of line on the fishing technique as well as the type of reel?

Type of reel has nothing to do with it, it's all about technique I'm using for me. 

• Like 3

Personally I always run 10-15lb braid to a leader on my spinning reels, and braid to leader on half of my casting setups. All of my specialty rods have the line paired with the technique/rod action. Braid behaves differently on baitcasters due to line diameter. Also your difficulty of casting those two baits in the wind are related to their weight and wind resistance, not necessarily the line type you're using. 

I use fluoro on pretty much everything that doesn't need to float or penetrate heavy cover. I don't like the lack of stretch with braid and the inability to transmit slack line bites. Type of reel doesn't have anything to do with it.

• Like 3

weightless worms- id throw om 10 or 15pd braid and a properly adjusted drag.

FC or Co-poly

...choice of line on the fishing technique as well as the type of reel?

All spinning setups get braid because of manageability- the leader, and all baitcaster lines based on technique.

8 hours ago, Jrob78 said:

I use fluoro on pretty much everything that doesn't need to float or penetrate heavy cover. I don't like the lack of stretch with braid and the inability to transmit slack line bites. Type of reel doesn't have anything to do with it.

This is pretty much what I'd say as well. 

• Like 2

Regardless of reel I use all three.  Fluorocarbon for backing, braid for main line, and mono for leader.  I do feel like braid is more susceptible to catching wind but throwing a spinner bait or light worm on windy days will increase your backlashes regardless of the line you use.  

Hi Lefty,

Different tools for different applications. Fluorocarbon sinks so it works well for bottom baits (jig's & T'rigs) and also works well with Spinner, Chatter & Crank baits. Monofiliment because it floats is good for top water baits, floating soft plastic applications or where you want a slower rate of fall. Mono also stretches so it is maybe a bit more forgiving (shock absorbing) of sudden runs or surges of power or when you forgot to loosen the drag back up after pulling free from that last snag. It possibly helps baits stay pinned. Hinders getting a good hard hook set and the end of a long cast. 

Both Mono and Fluoro stretch, I don't think they stretch the same. Mono I feel has a more consistent stretch starts earlier as the load come on and continues till it stops then the forlorn look comes into play. Fluoro stretches after it gets loaded up like 50% plus of breaking strength and doesn't recover or recover as well from being stretched as Mono does. 

Braid is braid, no stretch, no forgiveness, lasts dang near forever and sensitivity transmission through the roof. Not as abrasion resistant as Mono and Fluoro but cuts through weeds like a knife. Heavy braid for heavy cover and pulling them out quick. A lot of anglers like to add leaders of Mono or Fluoro to the end of the braided line.  

I know it probably doesn't answer your verses question but I feel it is different tools for the job then pitting one against the other.

G'luck,

Fishingmickey

• Like 1

Braid is relegated to just times when i need max strength, like flipping, swimbaits/a-rig and frogs on baitcasters.

Mono for topwater

Flouro for everything else, 8-15 for cranks, wirebaits, and such, and 17-25 for jigs and worms