CoolestCornet99

San Francisco Bay Area (CA) Largemouth Bass Fishing

I live in the East Bay and I'm looking to fish in the SF Bay Area for largemouth bass. I fish from the bank and I am a beginner. Where are the best spots to fish here? How easy is it to access these places?

I've only caught two bass before: the first being a 6lber and the second a 3 1/2. However, I'm always looking to catch more!! Not looking to drive more than about 3 hours, but I am willing to go anywhere that I can find fish!

Hello and welcome @CoolestCornet99 to Bass Resource and the Forums! Not sure where you’re located, but Lake Chabot and San Pablo are two prime bodies of water. Right now with all the rain, Shadow Cliffs and the Quary Lakes would be least affected by all the runoff. Hope this helps and good fishing, JB  

chabot has had many 10+ come out of it and you can rent a boat at half price weekdays. but get them to put in extra batteries. they haven't changed them out in like 10 years. you'll get stranded without them or just bring you own 12v and trolling motor. I have had many days there where I catch at least 1 over 5. last year I had a day where I caught about 30 bass over 5lbs. chabot is either on fire or sucks. good luck. 

Lafayette has rentals and  is good with some mondo bass but a very tough bite. very hit or miss. 

san Pablo can be on fire for spots and has some largemouth but not a lot. 

many of the lakes in Marin are great. 

Del Valle can be good and has rentals but gets a lot of pressure. 

all the places I listed have great bank access. well except Lafayette.

just get rentals and buy yourself a trolling motor. youll have better luck and learn more. 

Welcome from the central valley. If you are in the Fremont area, delta over by Tracy. If you are over by Concord, delta at Fremont or Brentwood 

I would add Coyote lake it's near the east Bay Area. 3 hours you can drive anywhere in the Delta and up to lake Berryessa, lots of choices.

Good luck,

Tom

Lake Hennessy in Napa has great shore access and lots of bass. Berryessa of course, delta, San Pablo, Lafayette, port of Sacramento, heck with that drive time you mentioned you could even hit Folsom. Lots of spots for sure, good luck and tight lines!

Lake Chabot is a wonderful hidden gem. I've pulled a few over 8 out of there. San Pablo is primarily a spotted bass fishery... it can be tough, but there's some big girls in there and I've heard of a few largemouth over 10 over the last couple of years as well. If you have the means to get off the bank (yak is my preferred method!), the Delta is a bass fisherman's dream. Same can be said for Berryessa in Napa. Berry is grossly underrated and I personally think it's a better fishery than Clear Lake. 

• Like 1