Jump to content
BigBass'n_Harrison

Lew's Custom Lite (HM85) vs ALX IKOS

Recommended Posts

Just simply: Which do you believe is better if you have experience? 

 

Lot of people seem to say that the IKOS are the best rod at this price point so I'm guessing that's what the majority of the votes will be for. Some really good reviews on the Lew's Lite and they are both at the $150 ish price point. 

 

Have a great day

-Harrison

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am hoping a few come along with some personal use to share.  I know pretty much nothing about Lew's rods.  I did pick up a 7'6" MF Ledge/Small Crankbaits rod this winter.  It is also an HM85.  Have high hopes for it.

 

Never touched an IKOS, but have read some very good reviews.  A few even like this line for jigs better than the more expensive Zolo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd personally pass on both. Are those the only rods you are considering?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Stephen B said:

I'd personally pass on both. Are those the only rods you are considering?

 

Can I ask why?  Are you the gentleman that has posted that the ALX rods aren't very sensitive?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, new2BC4bass said:

 

Can I ask why?  Are you the gentleman that has posted that the ALX rods aren't very sensitive?

I fished a couple and expressed that I wasn't overly happy with the rods I fished. Speaking to my experience with the rods I fished. Just my opinion. A few people on Bass Resource have left product reviews on multiple ALX rods with similar experiences. Not saying that someone won't like them, but I prefer other options in the same price range. What we like may be different.

 

There are a lot of great rods available that I would recommend. I would take a look at the Dobyns Fury or Shimano Curado rods if you want to stay around $150 or less. Both are great rods with great companies backing them. They have both have a really good range of rods with a lot of options for anglers. At a slightly higher price point with the Tatula Elite, Zodias, KLX, Levantes are also very attractive if you want to spend a little more. Let us know what you decide.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Stephen B said:

I fished a couple and expressed that I wasn't overly happy with the rods I fished. Speaking to my experience with the rods I fished. Just my opinion. A few people on Bass Resource have left product reviews on multiple ALX rods with similar experiences. Not saying that someone won't like them, but I prefer other options in the same price range. What we like may be different.

 

There are a lot of great rods available that I would recommend. I would take a look at the Dobyns Fury or Shimano Curado rods if you want to stay around $150 or less. Both are great rods with great companies backing them. They have both have a really good range of rods with a lot of options for anglers. At a slightly higher price point with the Tatula Elite, Zodias, KLX, Levantes are also very attractive if you want to spend a little more. Let us know what you decide.

I was considering some more expensive rods, Kistler Helium 3 for example, but I've decided I don't need to spend more than $150-$200 on a rod to get solid and sensitive one. I'm 15 and rather hard on my equipment and the cheaper I go on the rod, the more tackle I can get in general. I'm lucky enough that my dad helps me out with buying a lot of my gear, but still can't spend a ton by any means.

 

I was considering the Curado rods for a long time, but a lot of what I read said they were rather heavy and not the most sensitive. Somebody on I believe TT said that it felt like a baseball and he couldn't break it if he tried. Now I know this is exaggerating, but there are many reviews that say they are heavy. Do you have any personal experience with them? 

 

Also the reason I'm considering the IKOS and not the ZOLO is because I wanted to customize it and I can customize an IKOS for less than $200 and still be getting a really solid rod. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like certain rods in the Curado series like the 7'6 Heavy Fast, 7'6 Medium Moderate, etc. But yes the Curado rods are heavier than say a Shimano Zodias as well as not a sensitive as a Zodias but its also 25% more expensive. I really like a lot of there cranking rods. I was mentioning it if $150 was the top of your budget. Personally my 3 favorite rods around $200 are the Shimano Zodias, Megabass Levante, and Daiwa Tatula Elite but they may not have a rod that you find works. What do you plan on throwing/utilizing the rod for? I'm sure a few of us will chime in trying to help you find a rod you'll really like. 

 

22 minutes ago, BigBass'n_Harrison said:

I was considering some more expensive rods, Kistler Helium 3 for example, but I've decided I don't need to spend more than $150-$200 on a rod to get solid and sensitive one. I'm 15 and rather hard on my equipment and the cheaper I go on the rod, the more tackle I can get in general. I'm lucky enough that my dad helps me out with buying a lot of my gear, but still can't spend a ton by any means.

 

I was considering the Curado rods for a long time, but a lot of what I read said they were rather heavy and not the most sensitive. Somebody on I believe TT said that it felt like a baseball and he couldn't break it if he tried. Now I know this is exaggerating, but there are many reviews that say they are heavy. Do you have any personal experience with them? 

 

Also the reason I'm considering the IKOS and not the ZOLO is because I wanted to customize it and I can customize an IKOS for less than $200 and still be getting a really solid rod. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Stephen B said:

I really like certain rods in the Curado series like the 7'6 Heavy Fast, 7'6 Medium Moderate, etc. But yes the Curado rods are heavier than say a Shimano Zodias as well as not a sensitive as a Zodias but its also 25% more expensive. I really like a lot of there cranking rods. I was mentioning it if $150 was the top of your budget. Personally my 3 favorite rods around $200 are the Shimano Zodias, Megabass Levante, and Daiwa Tatula Elite but they may not have a rod that you find works. What do you plan on throwing/utilizing the rod for? I'm sure a few of us will chime in trying to help you find a rod you'll really like. 

 

 

Looking for a 6'8-7' MH/F casting rod for lighter jigs (1/4-3/8), t rigs (3/16-1/4 oz), and some spinnerbaits/chatterbaits probably too. Looking at "shorter" lengths because I want to use it as a skipping rod too, as well as use it in my kayak that I'm getting soon. Would get a Tatula Elite but they don't exactly have the right rod. Same with the Levante, the 6 power tour versatile seems like it would be too much for my intentions. Zodias was my main choice at one point, but I just couldn't bring myself to buy one. Never could pick the right model, the 6'10 MH seemed right but the lure ratings say 3/8-1 oz which seemed too heavy and the 6'10 M was rated 1/4-5/8 or something like that, but I wasn't sure it would have the backbone for pulling one out from under something after skipping. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, BigBass'n_Harrison said:

Looking for a 6'8-7' MH/F casting rod for lighter jigs (1/4-3/8), t rigs (3/16-1/4 oz), and some spinnerbaits/chatterbaits probably too. Looking at "shorter" lengths because I want to use it as a skipping rod too, as well as use it in my kayak that I'm getting soon. Would get a Tatula Elite but they don't exactly have the right rod. Same with the Levante, the 6 power tour versatile seems like it would be too much for my intentions. Zodias was my main choice at one point, but I just couldn't bring myself to buy one. Never could pick the right model, the 6'10 MH seemed right but the lure ratings say 3/8-1 oz which seemed too heavy and the 6'10 M was rated 1/4-5/8 or something like that, but I wasn't sure it would have the backbone for pulling one out from under something after skipping. 

I think you'd be happy with the Shimano Zodias 6'10 MH. I think it would be a phenomenal rod for what you intend to do with 3/8 oz jigs, texas jigs, while still being versatile enough for spinnerbaits and chatterbaits. The Tour Versatile is another great option as well. It definitely has power but as it's name suggests is a very versatile rod due to its taper. It can handle from topwater, jigs, spinnerbaits, etc.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an Ikos Promise and use it for frogs, buzzbaits, WPs, etc.  I originally had bottom contact baits in mind but didn't really feel it.  It's a bit tip heavy and not as sensitive as I personally wanted.  It's a solid rod though.  Really nice build quality and strong backbone.  It's perfect for what I use it for.  Never owned a Lew's but the ones I've handled felt a bit too stiff.

 

I've used several different brands and settled on Kistler and Falcon for my bottom contact lures.  Just personal preference 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, GReb said:

I have an Ikos Promise and use it for frogs, buzzbaits, WPs, etc.  I originally had bottom contact baits in mind but didn't really feel it.  It's a bit tip heavy and not as sensitive as I personally wanted.  It's a solid rod though.  Really nice build quality and strong backbone.  It's perfect for what I use it for.  Never owned a Lew's but the ones I've handled felt a bit too stiff.

 

I've used several different brands and settled on Kistler and Falcon for my bottom contact lures.  Just personal preference 

Love lew’s reels, just have no experience with their rods. I’m yet to try a Kistler, I plan to eventually. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Goodluck buddy. Let us know what you decided and how you like it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both Dobyns and ALX are family owned business. ALX makes their rods in the US, Dobyns designs his rods but they made off shore. Both companies have great customer servive, either would be better then Lews IMO as the name is only a brand made off shore with little or no customer servive to talk to.

Tom

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gotta disagree about Lews customer service.  Have called them numerous times about rods and reels.  Always had a good experience 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, LionHeart said:

Gotta disagree about Lews customer service.  Have called them numerous times about rods and reels.  Always had a good experience 

Did you talk to Lew Childre....Who owns Lew's these days?

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LionHeart said:

Gotta disagree about Lews customer service.  Have called them numerous times about rods and reels.  Always had a good experience 

I agree with your disagreement. I have had nothing but positive experiences with Lew’s customer service. From small things like getting a replacement badge that fell off my reel to ordering spare spools. They respond to emails in less than 24 hours. 

 

I have talked to the USA staff on a few occasions and they are polite and helpful. What more could you want in a product or service. 

1 hour ago, WRB said:

Did you talk to Lew Childre....Who owns Lew's these days?

Tom

Died in 1977...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, NYWayfarer said:

I agree with your disagreement. I have had nothing but positive experiences with Lew’s customer service. From small things like getting a replacement badge that fell off my reel to ordering spare spools. They respond to emails in less than 24 hours. 

 

I have talked to the USA staff on a few occasions and they are polite and helpful. What more could you want in a product or service. 

Died in 1977...

 

1 hour ago, WRB said:

Did you talk to Lew Childre....Who owns Lew's these days?

Tom

I believe Lews is owned by a private equity group, which happens to be the same company that owns Strike King

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stephen B said:

 

I believe Lews is owned by a private equity group, which happens to be the same company that owns Strike King

No worries. The point is that plenty of companies out there continue after their founder passes. 

 

My 15 year old son would say some are being “salty” for no reason.

 

Perception can really hurt a company without actually experience with CS or the products. So Lew’s is owned by a private group. The history of the name means something to the group and those that work for the company. The only way to really know is through experience. I have experienced nothing but quality customer service through Lew’s. The products I have purchased have been some of the best I have used. I am over a half century old and I have use products from Daiwa, Shimano, Pflueger, Quantum, etc. you can take that for what it’s worth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LionHeart said:

Gotta disagree about Lews customer service.  Have called them numerous times about rods and reels.  Always had a good experience 

 

51 minutes ago, NYWayfarer said:

I agree with your disagreement. I have had nothing but positive experiences with Lew’s customer service. From small things like getting a replacement badge that fell off my reel to ordering spare spools. They respond to emails in less than 24 hours. 

I agree as well! Have had great customer service with Lew’s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds likecLew's is supporting their customers.

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t have really many rods left in the $150 price point. If I were shopping at that price point though the new Daiwa Tatula rods just released with cork handles would be high on the list. I’d also be eyeing the Ikos rods as you are. St. Croix Mojo are a good value in your price point to with solid reviews. The new Powell Endurance look nice at the price point too. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I have not fished a Lews rod, but I am one those Ikos fans. I only have a promise 7-3 and a Hammer 7-3. Both rods are very versatile. They arent as sensitive as a Zolo or a Kistler Z bone. But they do a lot of things real well. I also prefer to give my money to a business like ALX.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, WRB said:

Did you talk to Lew Childre....Who owns Lew's these days?

Tom

Lol!  I have talked with many of the guys from their pro shop, sales, and tech support but pretty sure none of them were Lew.

 

Every time I have called, I have received prompt, courteous and knowledgeable service.  They have also sent me replacement parts for out of warranty reels free of charge.  Tough to ask for more than that.

 

Who owns Lew's these days, I have no idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check out the new Daiwa Tatula bass rods. They are really nice and sensitive, and very well-balanced. They have lots of really nice actions. I have three I would recommend them for your price range. These have cork grips too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, LionHeart said:

Lol!  I have talked with many of the guys from their pro shop, sales, and tech support but pretty sure none of them were Lew.

 

Every time I have called, I have received prompt, courteous and knowledgeable service.  They have also sent me replacement parts for out of warranty reels free of charge.  Tough to ask for more than that.

 

Who owns Lew's these days, I have no idea.

I sent in my Custom Inshore SLP in just to get in cleaned up a bit and they replaced 7, yes 7, parts free of charge. I think that’s pretty d**n good

6 hours ago, waymont said:

Check out the new Daiwa Tatula bass rods. They are really nice and sensitive, and very well-balanced. They have lots of really nice actions. I have three I would recommend them for your price range. These have cork grips too.

Yeah I’m just not a big fan of micro guides... if the Daiwa Kage rods had a model under 7’ that was a MH/F I would get that for sure. Really like those rods. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing reels

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×
×
  • Create New...