Winter project: extending the life of the trailer (and converting from rollers to bunks) instead of buying a new one which in retrospect may have been more sensible, but before long I was too far in. Didn't plan on tearing it down completely but that's what happened. Lots of sanding, priming and painting, some new parts, and @jbmaine used his machinist mojo to repair the gouges I put in the axle when removing a stuck bearing.

Stripped loose paint and rust, then most parts were hit with self etching primer from a rattle can. Rougher rust areas were scraped as much as possible before applying primer painted on by hand (the brown in the photos is the primer, not the rust). Final coat is a machine gray enamel from a rattle can, one coat over the self etching primer, and two coats over the rougher areas. Thought about a more flashy final coat but figured the cheaper flat machine gray will make the bright red 12 ft. skiff really pop.

Stripping/painting phase almost complete. Only remaining paint work to do is a final coat on the underside of the main trailer frame. Then it's reassembly time which will include installation of new stuff (electrical, wheels, tires, hubs, coupler, misc hardware). Oh carp, just realized I still have to build the bunks and order the bunk swively things. Anyway can't wait to see this thing finally come together. It's not perfect by any means but there's something very satisfying about this project.

topside.jpg

underside.jpg

parts.jpg

• Like 2

There are 1) Things I can do, and 2) Things I can't do. One of the "Things I can do" is take apart. One of the biggest "Things I can't do" is put back together ...... correctly. That applies especially to electrical circuits.

I think what you're doing here is going great!   jj

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, jimmyjoe said:

One of the biggest "Things I can't do" is put back together ...... correctly.

Ditto! I take plenty photos in the teardown process for just that reason.

Well done......

Good stuff, please keep up posted!  I love to see everyone's builds and mods

On 3/24/2019 at 8:19 PM, jimmyjoe said:

There are 1) Things I can do, and 2) Things I can't do. One of the "Things I can do" is take apart. One of the biggest "Things I can't do" is put back together ...... correctly. That applies especially to electrical circuits.

I think what you're doing here is going great!   jj

When I take something apart I take pictures and some videos with my cell phone to document how it should look when it’s time to put everything back in its place. A pictorial map, so to speak.

Dragged the trailer out of the basement today and finished the electrical. Only remaining items are bunks and safety chains. This has been a fun winter project. 

trailer2.jpg

trailer1.jpg

trailer_before_3.jpg

trail_before_2.jpg

• Like 1