Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I’m on a budget and I’m looking into getting into some bigger Swimbaits. What’s a good setup around $200 bucks or below?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Define bigger swimbaits? How much over $200 can you go?

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WRB said:

Define bigger swimbaits? How much over $200 can you go?

Tom

3-6 ounces and maybe $250

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Daiwa DX Swimbait $110

Dobyns Fury $130

Shimano Curado $170

 Falcon Expert $230

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reel Shimano Cardiff 300A

Rods, 8' rated 2-8 oz to 3-10 oz

Daiwa DX

Dobyns FR806SB* my preference.

Okuma GS XH

Savage Gear, XH

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Catt said:

Daiwa DX Swimbait $110

Dobyns Fury $130

Shimano Curado $170

 Falcon Expert $230

I think I’d rather have a Cardiff then curado and I’ve been looking at the Daiwa and Dobyns

Just now, WRB said:

Reel Shimano Cardiff 300A

Rods, 8' rated 2-8 oz to 3-10 oz

Daiwa DX

Dobyns FR806SB* my preference.

Okuma GS XH

Savage Gear, XH

Tom

Thanks Tom! Always trust your recommendations!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depending on what you fish more I’d do the DX if you fish more single hook plastics like Hudds or the Okuma if you’re going to fish more treble hook baits like triple trouts and slammers. And definitely the Cardiff. I had DVT super tune a Cardiff a few years ago and the results were fantastic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, VolFan said:

Depending on what you fish more I’d do the DX if you fish more single hook plastics like Hudds or the Okuma if you’re going to fish more treble hook baits like triple trouts and slammers. And definitely the Cardiff. I had DVT super tune a Cardiff a few years ago and the results were fantastic.

Thanks for the advice! Sounds like the Daiwa or the Dobyns with the Cardiff!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BassSam5 said:

I think I’d rather have a Cardiff then curado

 

That's rod not reel 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Catt said:

 

That's rod not reel 😉

I thought you were talking about the reel.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like my Daiwa DXSB 8' HF, it's rated for 2-8oz baits but it comfortably throws 1-4oz.  If you go with that stick, I would step up one power.  I believe that will handle your bait range just fine.

 

I started off my swimbait setup with a Daiwa Millionaire Classic UTD, but I'm switching to a Daiwa Lexa-WN 300.  After throwing my buddies Daiwa Lexa-HD 300 all day, I've become a fan of that reel line.

 

You can get the stick for 110ish and that reel for about 130 on Amazon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a dobyns fury 795sb for heavy swimbaits and it is plenty of stick. I also took it to the artic and caught trophy pike all week long with it and it never broke a sweat. I have it paired with a Calcutta which would take you over budget. Im sure there are plenty of reels that fit your budget that would suffice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd go shimano slx rod with a curado k reel or lews super duty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Shimano_1 said:

I'd go shimano slx rod with a curado k reel or lews super duty.

Maybe I missed something, but looking at the SLX rods at TW, I don't see any of  their rods that handle over 1 1/2 oz..which would be way to light for the OP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hammer 4 said:

Maybe I missed something, but looking at the SLX rods at TW, I don't see any of  their rods that handle over 1 1/2 oz..which would be way to light for the OP.

Guess I'm not as technical as some of you guys are. A 7'10 heavy rod would handle big swimbaits just fine. I'm sure I break all the technical rules every time I fish cause I've never paid any attention to those numbers. Fish haven't seemed to mind but I guess you have a valid point for the OP to consider 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Shimano_1 said:

Guess I'm not as technical as some of you guys are. A 7'10 heavy rod would handle big swimbaits just fine. I'm sure I break all the technical rules every time I fish cause I've never paid any attention to those numbers. Fish haven't seemed to mind but I guess you have a valid point for the OP to consider 

Weight rating is a pretty important technical spec regarding rods... especially when you’re chucking baits that weigh as much as some people’s entire 3700 box of stuff, and cost twice as much. 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, bear in mind that some rods, including a swimbait rod that I owned was rated 2 to 6 oz. yet it was difficult to toss a 4 oz bait with it. That rod was about 9 yrs old, I'm sure today's rods are a bit more accurate. IMHO, better to be slightly over gunned that under gunned when it come to heavier baits.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing poles

    fishing poles

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×
×
  • Create New...