Jump to content
Jake51823

Best spinning set up under $60??

Recommended Posts

Hey all, I kind of want to try something fun and that is to create or buy (if it’s a combo) a good spinning rod and reel under $60. Looking for something light and fast. The suggestion can either be a good rod and a good reel to pair them up or a great combo under $60 to purchase. I know it’s quite the budget but me and my buddy are having a challenge and that’s the spending limit. So let me know your suggestions!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going by retail price alone and not Amazon or eBay or used prices, Berkley Cherrywood rod with a Pflueger Trion reel, and you still have a little left over to throw some Trilene XL on it.

 

I would actually fish that combo and have no problems doing it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Glaucus' suggestion is a good one, I add to that the Mitchell Avocet RZT combo - comes in UL or M

 

I have the Avocet RZ combo in ML that's my finesse rig (drop-shot, Ned, etc) and it's a nice setup for the price

 

The main difference between the RZ and RZT is that the latter has twice the number of bearings.

 

At $50 direct from Mitchell or at Walmart, it's in your budget as well leaving enough for line.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

shakespeare ugly stik gx2 and kastking centron ... right in the wheelhouse ...

 

good fishing ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the suggestions! Anyone have anymore? It’s not until the weekend so I got some time to figure out which one I’m gonna go with! Everyone open to put in your two cents! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, RealtreeByGod said:

These Lew's Xfinity combos you can get at Walmart are pretty nice for the price. One piece IM7 rod and a pretty smooth reel. Alot better than something like an Ugly Stik in that price range. 

Sadly at Walmart they don’t have them right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, MN Fisher said:

@Glaucus' suggestion is a good one, I add to that the Mitchell Avocet RZT combo - comes in UL or M

 

I have the Avocet RZ combo in ML that's my finesse rig (drop-shot, Ned, etc) and it's a nice setup for the price

 

The main difference between the RZ and RZT is that the latter has twice the number of bearings.

 

At $50 direct from Mitchell or at Walmart, it's in your budget as well leaving enough for line.

Quick question about these combos. I really like one piece rods as I feel the sensitivity is definitely better. I can only find these in two pieces, do they still perform well? And is there sensitivity still there? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jake51823 said:

Quick question about these combos. I really like one piece rods as I feel the sensitivity is definitely better. I can only find these in two pieces, do they still perform well? And is there sensitivity still there? 

With the modern joining using the rod-blank itself instead of the old method of a metal ferrule, I don't see any loss of sensitivity in two-piece rods over one-piece.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, MN Fisher said:

With the modern joining using the rod-blank itself instead of the old method of a metal ferrule, I don't see any loss of sensitivity in two-piece rods over one-piece.

Good to know thank you for the advice! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Joshua van Wyk said:

Great value combo right here. Bought one of these around 3 years ago and it still works great. 

He mentioned it's a challenge to keep it under $60 - that Pres combo IS a good one, but over budget for his little contest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MN Fisher said:

He mentioned it's a challenge to keep it under $60 - that Pres combo IS a good one, but over budget for his little contest.

Apologies,

I completely forgot about the budget.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll second the Berkley stick and the Trion.  I used to fish the tar out of those reels until I started using my spinners in the salt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hook2Jaw said:

I'll second the Berkley stick and the Trion.  I used to fish the tar out of those reels until I started using my spinners in the salt.

That's why I agreed with @Glaucusabout the Trion - I have a 30 that I use for light T-Rigs, smaller crank/jerk baits and other med-light techniques (1/4-5/8 oz). It's a good reel for the price.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

53.50 shipped today ($20 off orders >$40) at Fisherman's Factory Outlet:

Abu Garcia® Orra® S Spinning Combo

Model#ORRA2S30/661M
Reg. Price: $109.95
$66.88

You Save 39%

Features
  • Six stainless steel HPCR™ bearings + one roller bearing provides increased corrosion protection
  • IM-C6™ (Insert molded C6) body design combines an X- craftic™ gearbox design with a C6 carbon body, which gives a lightweight construction that houses gears in perfect alignment
  • Rocket line management™ system provides better control of all types of fishing lines
  • Rocket spool lip design™ allows better control of line coming off the spool
  • Machined aluminum braid ready spool allows braid to be tied directly to the spool without any slip
  • Slow Oscillation provides even line lay with all types of line
  • Carbon Matrix™ hybrid drag system for super smooth reliable drag performance
  • Everlast™ bail system for improved durability
  • Stainless steel main shaft and components for improved corrosion resistance
  • 24 Ton graphite for a lightweight balanced design
  • Stainless steel guides with Titanium oxide inserts
Abu Garcia® Orra® S Spinning Combo
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an orra s. It’s a decent reel. I use it a lot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Glaucus said:

Going by retail price alone and not Amazon or eBay or used prices, Berkley Cherrywood rod with a Pflueger Trion reel, and you still have a little left over to throw some Trilene XL on it.

 

I would actually fish that combo and have no problems doing it.

This is the one I ended up going with thank you for the suggestion! If I had a little more budget room I would’ve hooked that up to a lightning rod! Let’s see how it performs 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Jake51823 said:

This is the one I ended up going with thank you for the suggestion! If I had a little more budget room I would’ve hooked that up to a lightning rod! Let’s see how it performs 

Good choice. With a higher budget i definitely would have said Lightning rod and President reel, but the step down at Cherrywood and Trion isn't bad. It will serve you well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing poles

    fishing poles

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×
×
  • Create New...