I recently bought the 13 fishing omen black 2 casting rod in the 7'1 medium power fast action version which I will pair with the Shimano SLX casting reel. From your guy's experience, what line should I put on the reel if I am going to be using the rod for mostly moving baits but occasionally throw soft plastics like senkos, craws, and paddle tails? Would 12 lb Sun line Super FC Sniper be a good option?

Yes

• Like 1

And don't forget your line conditioner, which really helps with the memory. 

8 minutes ago, Big Rick said:

And don't forget your line conditioner, which really helps with the memory. 

What is line conditioner?

It's a liquid that penetrates the line and assists in keeping it smooth and limp. Really helps with casting distance and accuracy with Flouro and Mono. I've attached an example:

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Kevin_VanDams_Line__Lure_Conditioner/descpage-VDLL.html

18 minutes ago, Big Rick said:

It's a liquid that penetrates the line and assists in keeping it smooth and limp. Really helps with casting distance and accuracy with Flouro and Mono. I've attached an example:

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Kevin_VanDams_Line__Lure_Conditioner/descpage-VDLL.html

I swear by KVD for my mono and Yo-Zuri hybrid...really helps with the line management.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Big Rick said:

So you just spray it on you spool when you're out fishing?

4 minutes ago, cody_kowalski said:

Ideally - soak the filler spool before putting the line on the reel...let dry, then spool up the line.

Then the night before you go out, a couple spritz to re-condition - no need to soak it.

If you've already spooled the line on the reel - give it a good soaking...let it dry for a couple days, then do the night before 'touch-ups' as above.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, cody_kowalski said:

MN Fisher nailed it. If I could add anything it would be to also give your rod guides a dose as well. It really slicks things up and add distance and accuracy to your casts. 

Sun line sniper is great line and would do just fine with that setup. I'm not an advocate of line conditioner with quality line...but obviously some people swear by it. You're gonna love that setup my buddy has that exact combo. 

I have 10lb Invizx Flouro on my SLX 8.2:1 and it will get a workout tomorrow on the Potomac with a 3/0 hook and a Senko.  Your 12lb should be good.  I couldn't resist replacing the drive shaft bushing, so I have an anti rust bearing coming from Shimano this week.  The bushing will serve you well though and as I said on here before, I fished my Citicas for years with a bushing on the drive shaft before I put a bearing there.  I just like to tinker.  That spool has the same line capacity as the Curado 70 series, which is a lot less than the other Curados and Chronarchs. BTW, is you should decide to install a drive shaft bearing, it is part # BNT 4194 (5x9x3) for $5.91 at Shimano and I am sure DVT stocks them also and will put it in for you if you are not comfortable doing so. Curados and Chronarchs use the same bearing on their drive shafts.

4 hours ago, OnthePotomac said:

I have 10lb Invizx Flouro on my SLX 8.2:1 and it will get a workout tomorrow on the Potomac with a 3/0 hook and a Senko.  Your 12lb should be good.  I couldn't resist replacing the drive shaft bushing, so I have an anti rust bearing coming from Shimano this week.  The bushing will serve you well though and as I said on here before, I fished my Citicas for years with a bushing on the drive shaft before I put a bearing there.  I just like to tinker.  That spool has the same line capacity as the Curado 70 series, which is a lot less than the other Curados and Chronarchs. BTW, is you should decide to install a drive shaft bearing, it is part # BNT 4194 (5x9x3) for $5.91 at Shimano and I am sure DVT stocks them also and will put it in for you if you are not comfortable doing so. Curados and Chronarchs use the same bearing on their drive shafts.

When you reel your Shimano slx very fast do you hear a lot of noise coming from the reel? I'm curious whether it's just mine or if it's all of the Shimano Slx reels out there.

2 hours ago, cody_kowalski said:

When you reel your Shimano slx very fast do you hear a lot of noise coming from the reel? I'm curious whether it's just mine or if it's all of the Shimano Slx reels out there.

I haven't had that problem with mine, it is quiet as can be!

12lb Invizx has worked for me so far but the my favorite is 12lb Tatsu.   It's pricey but last forever. 

A cple of mine were a little loud right outta the box but seemed to quieten down with a little use.  Also seem a little stiff right outta the box and that also seemed to loosen up with a little use

20 hours ago, Shimano_1 said:

A cple of mine were a little loud right outta the box but seemed to quieten down with a little use.  Also seem a little stiff right outta the box and that also seemed to loosen up with a little use

Thx

I did get on the river for a day. And SLX was very smooth.