Jump to content
Hook2Jaw

Best Soft Plastic Storage?

Recommended Posts

I've got about 50 bags of plastics that I have faith in between colors, sizes, and types, and I'm in a kayak.  Which bags or boxes would be the best way to go about storing these?

 

I've read the specs on almost each and every one, but I need a system that organizes my baits well, doesn't take up more space than it needs, and is easy to use for quick access to that craw, critter, worm, fluke, or paddletail.

 

Can BR guys who store large amounts of plastics help me out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I go back and forth on how to do it but here is what works for me in my kayak.  I recently changed how i do things an it seems to be working well.  I have one of the 4700 series boxes that I use for craw types and trailers, another is used for paddle tails, a smaller box is used for flukes and stick baits.  Anything else i either just leave in the bag and throw in the crate or put in another smaller box that has no dividers.  My plastics selection is pretty simple as I have refined it over the years and I realize i don't throw a lot of them anyways so no need carrying them.  I do adjust based on the water i am fishing though as needed.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@flyfisher, while I can do that with my local water, I normally store ALL my tackle on my kayak.  That'll eventually be almost half a dozen Plano 3771s as I transition to those boxes, so I don't have room in my crate.  I'm looking to start fishing the KBF SE trail next year, so I really need to have a lot of bases covered and have whatever pattern I can find available.

 

I'm only carrying 20 or so different styles of baits, but between practice and tournament day, I need extras.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use the KVD speedbags in the large size now for my plastics.  I would think they would be nice for your purpose. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, FishinBuck07 said:

I use the KVD speedbags in the large size now for my plastics.  I would think they would be nice for your purpose. 

How many do you think the realistically hold?  Those are on my radar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a bass mafia bag to store my plastics.  They go in a bag that is attached to the back of my kayak seat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I fill 3700 size boxes with all my favorites, usually have 8-10 boxes full. I keep them in their original packaging either in the back of my truck in a water proof storage box, or in the house until I need to refill the 3700 boxes. If the bite is hot on a particular bait, I'll bring a couple of extra packs of them with me. 

 

I like the box system best. No loose bags floating around in the boat, no rummaging through bags looking for the bait I want, and an added bonus, you can leave the box on the deck of the boat in the sun to soften up the baits and oftentimes any baits with bent tails/appendages/etc...will straighten out themselves doing this rather than going through the hassle of dipping them in boiling water.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I keep them in two 3700 boxes but then again I only use a few styles, and three colors of each. 

On box has worms/stick baits, the other box has craws, bugs, paddletails.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, ww2farmer said:

I fill 3700 size boxes with all my favorites, usually have 8-10 boxes full. I keep them in their original packaging either in the back of my truck in a water proof storage box, or in the house until I need to refill the 3700 boxes. If the bite is hot on a particular bait, I'll bring a couple of extra packs of them with me. 

 

I like the box system best. No loose bags floating around in the boat, no rummaging through bags looking for the bait I want, and an added bonus, you can leave the box on the deck of the boat in the sun to soften up the baits and oftentimes any baits with bent tails/appendages/etc...will straighten out themselves doing this rather than going through the hassle of dipping them in boiling water.

I hate boiling tails.  I've narrowed down my selection to about 40 bags that I want on me after selecting my least favorite, least productive baits and cutting them.  I think I'll just keep a KVD Worm File unzipped between my seat and kayak crate.

 

Thanks, @ww2farmer, you've always got some good suggestions for a budget minded angler like myself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hook2Jaw said:

How many do you think the realistically hold?  Those are on my radar.

I would say close to what they call out on the description.  If they are in their factory bags.  I bought some plastics I have in bulk and put them in heavy duty ziplocks.  I can fit about ten of those in the large KVD but if they were in their factory bags, I think you could get close to the 40 bags they say will fit in

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Hook2Jaw said:

I've got about 50 bags of plastics that I have faith in between colors, sizes, and types, and I'm in a kayak.  Which bags or boxes would be the best way to go about storing these?

 

I've read the specs on almost each and every one, but I need a system that organizes my baits well, doesn't take up more space than it needs, and is easy to use for quick access to that craw, critter, worm, fluke, or paddletail.

 

Can BR guys who store large amounts of plastics help me out?

Man, I'm glad I don't have your problem! Then again, I don't fish tournaments. I carry two colors of my favorite worm, four colors of my favorite craw trailer, four colors of my favorite creature, and four colors of my favorite chatterbait trailer. A total of 16 original bags inside a zippered bag attached to the back of my seat. All other plastics I carry inside a dry bag in the front hatch. Best of luck with your KBF tournaments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the kayak I pack as little as possible.  Usually 3 zippered wallets with 5 or 6 bags each for the day.  I rarely find myself using more than a few per day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing reels

    fishing reels

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×
×
  • Create New...