I spend a lot of time in the Adirondacks (since I go to school there) and have been keen on getting a rod specifically for trout fishing. I’ve been using a finesse spinning setup meant for bass, but it feels a little to long and heavy actioned for the Trout fishing I do (it’s a 7” medium power fast action).

What rods would you recommend for an all around trout rod? I will basically be throwing every trout sized bait under the sun (micro jigs/plastics, tiny crankbaits, spinners, and maybe even some live bait). So are there any rods out there that are versatile enough for this?

I understand that using one rod for a bunch of different techniques isn’t ideal, but I don’t fish for trout that often and I just want something that works and can stand the test of time :)

Looking to spend under $150 

I am using a Kast King Calamus and Perigee ll rods for  trout.

I think if you look at a Loomis or St. Croix line of trout rods you’ll find one that will fit your needs and last half a lifetime. Doesn’t have to be one that cost $300 + either. 

But you could certainly go to DICKS and find an Ugly Stik or house brand that is more than adaquite. 

ML anything is fine for trout.

the sandlot judging you GIF

Thanks for replies. Would a St. Croix Trout Series 6'4" Light be fine? 

Also, what size reel? I was looking at a Shimano Sahara FI (or maybe something else) in size 1000 or 2500, which would be a better match for the rod above?

Edit: just realized that Shimano sizing is different from pfluegers... 2500 is too big!

On 8/15/2019 at 1:37 PM, Riversidebassin said:

Thanks for replies. Would a St. Croix Trout Series 6'4" Light be fine? 

Also, what size reel? I was looking at a Shimano Sahara FI (or maybe something else) in size 1000 or 2500, which would be a better match for the rod above?

Edit: just realized that Shimano sizing is different from pfluegers... 2500 is too big!

I have a Shimano 2500 on a 5'6" Ugly Stik that works very well

I use an okuma sst 7'6" rod that's rated 4-10lb line with a shimano sienna 1000 loaded with 4lb test. It's light enough that a 8 inch now will put a good bend in it but I've used it for catching pink salmon when I wanna have a bit too much fun lol.

Fenwick HMG 7'6" Light 1/16-3/8 is a fine rod.  I use one with a Penn Fierce III 1000 fishing stream trout and it makes for a nice combo.