Brett's_daddy

What are Some Good Floating Mojo Rig Plastic's?

Like the title says, what are some good floating plastic baits for the Mojo Rig? I watched tackleJunkey81 on YouTube and he highly recommends the Sukoshi Bug by Catch Co. but what are some other options?

Mojo rig is a split shot rig using a pegged mojo cylinder weigh in lieu of a round split shot. I prefer using a slip shot rig for better strike detection, regardless your line, hook and floating soft plastics are important.

My line is a high abrasion resistance mono; Maxima Ultra Green 5 lb.

Weight I prefer black Top Brass Pro jo 1/8 oz,

Hook Owner 5133 size 1/0 or 2/0 depending on the size of the soft plastic, light wire sharpe and strong the cab rigged weedless, skin hooked.

Soft plastics; hand pours. Roboworms, Don Iovino products and Uptons Customs 4 1/2" to 6" straight and curl tail worms.

Tom

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This made me do a search and I dug up these previous comments from Tom about slip shot rigs.  This should help answer your question.  It sure did for me.  One of the great joys of the past 5 years I've returned to fishing has been reading stuff like this from the top contributors to the site.  Thank you, Tom.  Got me thinking about what guys like Aaron Martens learned from these West Coast masters... I guess that's for another thread.

• Like 1

What about some more common baits from Yum, Zoom, Berkely, Reaction Innovations, Z-Man etc.?

ZMan ElezEtach plastics are high flotation injection molded plastics. Very tough plastic yet pliable with more colors availble then in the past. I have tried a few of their products and unless you expose the hook point it's nearly impossible to get a hook set using finesse presentations.

I prefer very soft hand pours over any injection molded soft plastics.

Tom

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Brett's_daddy said:

What about some more common baits from Yum, Zoom, Berkely, Reaction Innovations, Z-Man etc.?

Roboworms are pretty common.

Agree with Tom on the elaztech for this rig.  Berkely Powerbait grubs work well on mojo and split shot

Lots of good info in this thread.

I just reread your title....don't get too hung up on looking for floating plastics.  This is typically a 'moving' presentation.  Nearly any of the finesse-y 3-4" plastics that you choose for this are going to be hopping along off of the bottom.  If you really need it to stay well up off of the bottom, perhaps a dropshot might work better for you.

Zoom Swamp Crawlers more or less float, or at least they sink very slowly.  They are thin, soft, and easy to drive a hook through.  

Sometimes tubes will float if they catch the air inside them.  If they won't float you can usually insert something inside them that will float.

11 minutes ago, Bankbeater said:

Sometimes tubes will float if they catch the air inside them.  If they won't float you can usually insert something inside them that will float.

Small Corks or earplugs 

• Like 1

On 8/18/2019 at 7:18 PM, Catt said:

rs=w_400,h_400.jpeg

^^^^everything we make floats^^^

These should work!

Tom