Sign in to follow this  
Steve C

Nitro Boat Quality??

I am looking at Bass Boats (currently own a Triton) and really like the layout of the new Z9 center counsel .... lots of storage and it can seat 4 people across.   I like my Triton and am looking at all brands but have heard rumors of Nitro quality issues...just rumors.

Anybody have some input on this?

Thanks!

A buddy of mine had a Nitro--he had stress cracks in the hull in the first year.  He had to pull teeth to get them to help him out, they eventually caved in and gave him a new boat.  Same thing happened with the new boat---they wouldn't do anything for him the second time.  They said he ran the boat too hard.  That's like saying you went on a road that was too rough with your 4x4 truck!!

I have a Stratos 285XL, it's about the same price and I've had no issues---neither have any others I know and a lot of people in my area own a Stratos.

I had a mid 90s Rick Clunn edition 17ft and I liked it quite a bit.  Rode very smooth and never had any of the small problems.  Had more problems with the Force engine it had on it than anything.  I can say though that there was considerable foggy / cloudiness to the upper most part of the fiber glass (railing) that I could not get out, but that was after around 8 years or so of use.  The rest of the paint and clearcoat were fine though.

My 2002 Nitro is nice, but when I buy a new boat, it'll be a skeeter.  BPS owns Nitro and the customer service is pretty bad, but they are getting better.  I have yet to see any stress cracks in my gelcoat.  The ride is quite smooth in rough water, possible the best I've been in next to a ranger.  The carpet, trim has a few places where it could've been better, but no biggie to me.  I haven't had any issues in my boat, maybe a blown fuse once in a while but thats a quick fix.  The gelcoat hasn't faded or clouded up, but thats mainly due to me waxing it twice a month.    The previous owner swapped out the Merc for a Yamaha, which hasn't given me any issues yet.  If Nitro was packaged w/ a Yamaha I'd buy again.  Oh yea, I dn't care for how only certain models (higher end models) have a lifetime warrenty when the rest only have a 10 year.  Thats another thing other manufactures due, most of them have a lifetime on all models.  

Thanks for the replies!  I really like the center design and the fact you can walk around both sides.  In the showroom, it is a really nice looking boat but I have always been a little shy of Nitro quality based only on what I have read in the past.   I always find myself saying ... I wonder how this compares to Ranger... maybe I should look at Ranger closer.  

I do like my Triton but it is a Fish and Ski (SF188)....probably will upgrade to a pure bass boat.  Bought it for "family use" but my wife now says she does not like to go fast so very rarely goes with my son and I.  In bad weather, it is only him and I and only on occasion do we take a 3rd or 4th.

Nitro is definitely not in the top 10 of any list of good bass boats.  I live in Nitro land and see a bunch.  They just plain don't hold up.

My buddy has a 18 ft Nitro that he has had for 10 years. According to him it still fishes as good now as it did then. He has taken care of it and if he sales it I hope I can buy it. They may not be a Triton or a Skeeter ( personally I thnk Rangers are a name and thats it) but it has lasted him.

When you go to the Nitro dealer walk up to the side of the boat and push. You can watch the whole side of the boat "cave". I had a very good buddy who worked at Tracker Marine at BPS and he ended up quiting because of the poor quality and poor customer service. I would look LONG AND HARD at a Nitro before I bought one. I am also a Triton owner and Nitro will NEVER beat the quality, I think that you will be disappointed. The older Nitros are good boats, but the newer ones aren't. That's my advise, that and .50 cents will buy you a Coke.

A friend of mine ordered one of the BPS Tahoe fiberglass deckboats NEW. He picked it up from the Springfield BPS boat headquarters.

I went over to his house to see his new aquisition.

What a shock.

The back corner of the boat had been crushed in and then repaired. You could clearly see the imperfection as the gel color didn't blend right with the rest of the boat.

The boat was supposed to come with a solid accent stripe that ran from the transom to the bow. It appeared they didn't have a whole roll of pin striping that day on the assembly line and used scrap pieces of pin striping. The stripe was broken up with 1-2' blank sections along the sides. Incredible.

There where very obvious dimples spaced 3 feet apart about a foot or so down from the rub rail. Each dimple had a star crack at the center. I'm not sure how they pulled the hull out of the mold but it seemed like that was the only way that could've happened.

The rear swim ladder was sloppy and put together with what appeared to be screws purchased at the local hardware store. They were clearly not the flush mount nuts and bolts that should've been used.

The first time he used the boat virtually every water fitting in the boat used for the rear deck sprayer, on board sink, etc. began leaking inside of the boat.

Most real boat companies would've pushed that disaster to the side and offered it for sale through the dealership at a big discount as a "blem" boat.

To think BPS would hand the keys over to him and say: "Here it is. This is the best we can produce. Enjoy" is incredible.

His experience with BPS customer service to get the problems resolved were a nightmare. In some cases, the boat would get fixed only to end up with other stuff broken (including a hole punched into the bottom of the hull) when he went to pick it up.  He lost much of the first summer of owning the boat to waiting on BPS to repair it.

If you're set on buying a Nitro I would definitely suggest buying from a Nitro dealer vs. from BPS themselves. The dealer has more at stake and will do any repair work themselves vs BPS who farms all repair work out.

Gotta love it: another post of he said, my buddy said, she said, they said.

Frst hand knowledge using them for years. Picky problems, but nothing unusual to the fishing industry. Oh, did I mention that I fish just about every day of the year. One of the best rides out there with more fishing deck that anyone. If you like it go for it.

Posted by: cart7t Posted on: Today at 7:27 am

If you're set on buying a Nitro I would definitely suggest buying from a Nitro dealer vs. from BPS themselves. The dealer has more at stake and will do any repair work themselves vs BPS who farms all repair work out.

I agree with cart, dn't buy from BPS, go through a dealer if you can. I think the only thing that really is holding Nitro back from being an awesome deal would be BPS's horrible customer service when it comes to thier boats. Another thing, Nitro's don't hold their value very well when compared to a Ranger, Trition, Basscat, or Skeeter. You can buy them for a cheaper price than the others but you will lose that money big time when it comes to resell, and it'll be harder to sell because they are not as well "desired" in the boating community, atleast in my area.

i've owned a nitro for 5 yrs with no problems..only complaint would be mercury engine,only service issue was with rubber boot for trolling motor switch,i emailed parts dept and they sent it right  out.....and the sides of my boat don't cave in!!!!!

I bought a 99 700lx brand new and I can't tell you how many hours I put on that boat and in places and conditions I shouldn't have had it in and never had the first major issue with it.  I sold it to my brother in law in Nov. 07 and we still fish off it with no problems.  I took very good care of the boat and kept it very clean but it sat in the driveway under a cover and not garage kept and still held up great.  Like someone else said, you can pick any boat apart with small things if you want.  

It seems like with a Nitro you either got a good one or a really, really bad one.

There used to be a website devoted to BPS (mostly Nitro) boat owners complaints.  That hasn't been around for a few years but I that doesn't mean the problems aren't happening.

The most prominent problems I've seen over the years from numerous owners were gelcoat stress cracking in the top deck especially in corners or edges.

Tracker marines tubular trailers had a very bad habit of rusting from the inside out.  We're talking trailers just a few years old that needed to be replaced.

Fit and finish is not as good as a Ranger, Champion, Triton, Skeeter, etc.  Then again, they also don't cost as much either.  That said, a Z9 is still priced at $45,000.  For that, they'd better be doing a better job at boat building than in the past.  Those willing to pay that much for a bass boat have a lot higher expectations.  

The only one I've ever been in had a HORRIBLE hole shot.  It wasn't a Z9(their top of the line) though.  Also,  I suspect that the hole shot issue had much more to do with BPS setup then a Nitro problem.  I personally wouldn't trust BPS customer service or set-ups on bass boats.  I would for sure buy from a dealer.

Nitro wouldn't be in my top 5 of bass boats and probably not my top 10, but thats just personal preference.  I think any boat company these days can deliver a boat that will meet the fishing expectations of 99% of the anglers.  

If you like Ranger I would strongly consider looking at Bass Cat and Champion. IMO, they offer a good compromise between performance and comfort that exceeds Ranger at a slightly lower dollar figure.  Again just my opinion though.  Ranger is a fine boat.

In the past few years I've been on a bunch of different boats both as a co-angler and in partner tourneys in the Northeast, where two footers are the norm. Let me say first that the driver has a lot to do with how a boat rides and handles. I've been out there with some guys that have gotten me soaked when it was calm and bluebird. That being said, from my experiences, Nitros don't do so well in the rough waters up here. Besides a bone jarring ride (can you say ouch?) they have a hollow slapping sound on each wave they hit. It's kind of scary.

If I was buying a boat in that price range I'd go with a Stratos. They are a great bang for their buck...great ride and very solid. If you are willing to spend a little more I prefer a Skeeter ride over Ranger in like boats. Just my opinion though.

I am looking at Bass Boats (currently own a Triton) and really like the layout of the new Z9 center counsel .... lots of storage and it can seat 4 people across. I like my Triton and am looking at all brands but have heard rumors of Nitro quality issues...just rumors.

Anybody have some input on this?

Thanks!

Don't waste your money! Look at other boat but not a Nitro! I also run a Triton and I love it ! But a Ranger,Skeeter or another Triton!

I bought a used 2004 Nitro NX750 last summer. It had no cracks, it still doesn't, and I liked the fit and finish. I am happy with it.

i think i am getting an inferiorty complex...i own a nitro and all my reels are quantums!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2 names that don't seem to fare well on this site.......................

I've stated my opinion on Nitro's, but it wasn't to give anyone an inferiority complex.  If they work for you go for it.  

I don't know how I missed this thread....

Well I agree with George Welcome, most of the statements on here are second hand, I own a Nitro Boat. I have had it since 2007 and it is a 1995 model. This boat is in terrific shape for the year. I have taken very good care of it and the previous owner did as well. I have not had any MAJOR problems with this boat. The boxes still close, no cracks in fiberglass. I do not know what the fus is about here with Nitro boats.

I also have a great friend of mine that owns a 2007 Nitro Boat, (I wouldn't add this unless I knew what I was talking about), we fish tournament after tournament with both his boat and mine. He brought his boat over to my garage a week ago and he asked me to help him pull the boat apart and make sure all the plugs were working properly and that nothing was messed up with his boat. I pulled everything off of his boat we cleaned the carpets waxed the boat checked all fuses, checked all the pumps, checked EVERYTHING. The boat was fine! No problems at all everything was in great shape, there is no deficiancies in this boat or mine.

I spoke with my buddy about getting a Z9 and we went to our local BPS and the only reason that I did not purchase it is because of the high price. I looked over the boat for ANY deficiancies and did not find anything wrong with either of the two Z9 they had. I will give this to the "Nitro Haters" BPS boat customer service could be better. But overall the boats are great, matbe they do not look like your expensive Triton or Ranger but the boats are perfectly made for everything i will be using them for.

When I do finally purchase my Z9 I will take anyone fishing with me that does not think Nitro boats are so great. Believe me I have rode in a few Z9's and they ride so smoothly and that is my future purchase. ;)

Well I agree with George Welcome, most of the statements on here are second hand, I own a Nitro Boat. I have had it since 2007 and it is a 1995 model. This boat is in terrific shape for the year. I have taken very good care of it and the previous owner did as well. I have not had any MAJOR problems with this boat. The boxes still close, no cracks in fiberglass. I do not know what the fus is about here with Nitro boats.

I also have a great friend of mine that owns a 2007 Nitro Boat, (I wouldn't add this unless I knew what I was talking about), we fish tournament after tournament with both his boat and mine. He brought his boat over to my garage a week ago and he asked me to help him pull the boat apart and make sure all the plugs were working properly and that nothing was messed up with his boat. I pulled everything off of his boat we cleaned the carpets waxed the boat checked all fuses, checked all the pumps, checked EVERYTHING. The boat was fine! No problems at all everything was in great shape, there is no deficiancies in this boat or mine.

I spoke with my buddy about getting a Z9 and we went to our local BPS and the only reason that I did not purchase it is because of the high price. I looked over the boat for ANY deficiancies and did not find anything wrong with either of the two Z9 they had. I will give this to the "Nitro Haters" BPS boat customer service could be better. But overall the boats are great, matbe they do not look like your expensive Triton or Ranger but the boats are perfectly made for everything i will be using them for.

When I do finally purchase my Z9 I will take anyone fishing with me that does not think Nitro boats are so great. Believe me I have rode in a few Z9's and they ride so smoothly and that is my future purchase. ;)

ive had 2 nitros and theyve been great boats. ive been to BPS 2 times and still cant figure that "cave" part out.

ive had 2 nitros and theyve been great boats. ive been to BPS 2 times and still cant figure that "cave" part out.

At least I'm not the only one to still enjoy a good quality boat.

I didn't mean to get all defensive but I like Nitro boats.... hense my username.  ;D ;D ;D