Sign in to follow this  
Strike King

Black or Grey carpet ?????

I'm going to redo the interior of my bass attacker boat and i really wanna do black carpet because the boat is alluminum and it would be a nice contrast. BUT would it drawn in too much heat making grey a better choice but no contrast?

Maybe it don't get so hot in Ohio but here in GA, it would be like fishing out of an oven during the summer.   My old Stratos had dark blue carpet, after the second trip I made in it when it got hot, the carpet was light blue the next trip.

Man...there's nothing that looks better than black carpet...but....the gray carpet I have gets hot enough during the summer...for that reason, the black might not work...but again like the previous post said...he's in GA, i'm in AL where 100 degrees is no stranger,  you=OH...don't know what its like there..might not be terrible....

we get days in the 90's and sometimes high humidity.. but im picturing grey carpet with a grey boat and it would seem to be soo bland...hmm

My gray carpet gets so hot in the summer that it will burn your feet if you're bare foot. I would hate to think what black would be like.

my fishing partner HAD  black carpet in his ranger 520 just for one summer here in indiana   had it pulled out and put gray in  to darn hot

darn... thats not what i was wanting to hear lol

looks like its going to be the boring grey :-(

Blacks hot and shows the dirt too bad. DUDE! wheres your Buckeye spirit ?  Scarlet would be a great choice! ;D

Get any amount of sand, mud, or dirt on black carpet and it shows!! Really hard to clean.

I have a grayish black carpet with a BLACK boat. Ya it gets hot. But hey. If you love fishing enough do whats best for your boat lol. I have never really had scorching floors.

I'm recarpeting my boat and going from dark grey to light grey (BPS calls it silver).  It's just too hot anytime the sun is shining and the temps go above 85.  I had thought about going with maroon which was the original carpet color in the boat but heat wise maroon = dark grey.

BTW,  Black?  You could cook steaks on the thing in the summer.   ;)

I have to say grey also.  I had very dark green carpet on my Nitro and it was terribly hot during the summer.  It was hot enough that you didn't want to be barefoot on the boat.

ok in my head i figured that the black carpet would be too hot. i was kinda on the fence about it and thats why i put the topic in here to make sure before i made a mistake. oddly enough i was just sitting here thinking and i was reminded of something. in the summer i had two astro vans, one grey and one black. i always felt warmer the black van but at the time i just thought it was more humid that day hmm. p.s. i still have the black van.

the setup i have now is beige seats/ brown'ish carpet. i wouldve had to change the seats if i went with the grey.. so now because of the comments im thinking of going with the grey for comfort. i'll be doing a build post when i get it done. im hoping it will come out nice.

i appreciate all the comments :-)

i wonder if anyone in here that might have black carpet can chime in???

My friend Pedro ..... what can I say about my friend Pedro ? oh well, he 's as stubborn as a mule and when he gets an idea he 's all in for it. The carpet on his bloat was light blue, after years of exposure it was literally coming to pieces so he had the boat recarpeted in black, I told him not to do so but ya know .... stubborn as a mule, soon after the carpeting was done we went fishing ( man he does love to walk barefoot on the boat ) early in the morning no problem walking barefoot on the boat, but by mid day with our nice warm climate it 's like walking on a frying pan, so he learned the hard way that black carpet under the sun ain 't such a good idea no matter how nice it looks.

Now the carpet is light gray.

I've been installing carpet in everything from boats, RVs, houses and businesses for almost 20 years now and not in any situation has black carpet worked out in the long run. I've installed it before and every single time, whether it was in a boat, rv, home or business, the poeple ended up not liking it for either the heat problem or the clean issue. Not once has someone liked it in the long run. NOT ONCE......

If you're set on the asthetics over usefulness, perhaps you could comprimise. Take a look at the old style grass type carpet. The make it in a black/grey mix that won't get as hot as solid black but it still would give you some contrasting color. They also make a darker grey/white mix that would work and not get very hot at all.

To top it off, it's generally cheaper as well.

Just my 2 cents. Food for thought.

Good luck.

My brother-in-law and I have the same boat Triton tr-20s of the same year with the same grey carpet. My boat is white with a black cherry stripe. His is dark blue with a silver stripe. Just the color of the boat makes quite a difference. There is so much more heat attracted to his boat when you step off one on to the other you can immediatly feel the difference. We actually have done this on a hot flat Lake Erie day. While I can touch my fiberglass it stays relatively cool, his will burn you. I am from northern Ohio and wouldn't even entertain the thought of black carpet.

I've been installing carpet in everything from boats, RVs, houses and businesses for almost 20 years now and not in any situation has black carpet worked out in the long run. I've installed it before and every single time, whether it was in a boat, rv, home or business, the poeple ended up not liking it for either the heat problem or the clean issue. Not once has someone liked it in the long run. NOT ONCE......

If you're set on the asthetics over usefulness, perhaps you could comprimise. Take a look at the old style grass type carpet. The make it in a black/grey mix that won't get as hot as solid black but it still would give you some contrasting color. They also make a darker grey/white mix that would work and not get very hot at all.

To top it off, it's generally cheaper as well.

Just my 2 cents. Food for thought.

Good luck.

that darker grey and white sounds good. where would i find that at?

one other guy had a turquiose  stripe on a stratos so he had a touquiose carpet it really looked cool and was not hot but cool

It's a fairly common style carpet and several carpet mills make it. You might find it at the Home Depot or Lowes but if you call some private carpet stores, they will probably be more apt to help you find it if they don't already stock it. I've found that the large outfits like Home Depot won't take the time to find what you are looking for if they don't stock it.

It's manufactured with either a rubber backing or what's called an "action back". The action back is much like the backing on a regular residential carpet but the adhesive used to stick the fuzz to the back is waterproof.

The rubber back is much easier to install because it's much more pliable and the action back is much stiffer but it's a stronger and somewhat longer lasting carpet. Either one would work fine but for me, when I replace the carpet in my old trusty Bayliner Trophy, I'm going to probably use the action backed stuff as it will be easier to remove in a few years when it's time to replace it.

Remember to get some good quality glue to install it. The cheap stuff just doesn't hold up well. Again, ask the carpet store and they should steer you in the right direction. If you have any questions, just shoot me an email or PM me. I'd be glad to help.

Good luck.