Sign in to follow this  
Carson

Backsplash over transom

I just bought a Nitro 884 with a Mercury 175 it is the max power for boat. When I come off plane a wave comes over the transom bad. Any suggestions about helping eliminate some of it.

When coming off plane do it slowly. Don't go straight down to neutral, ease slowly let off the gas.  On some boats, backwash is just something you have to live with.  My 2003 Nitro 640lx also backwashes somewhat bad until I started slowly letting off the throttle.  Hope this helps.

Very common problem.  You can still cut the throttle as hard as you want, just as the boat starts to settle, give it just a little gas for a few seconds to keep ahead of the backwash, you will feel it kinda lift/push the boat instead over coming over.  Pretty soon it will be second nature and you will get the timing down to where it's no problem at all.

Everyone else hit this problem nail in the head. It takes a few practice attempts to get good at this but once you have mastered it it will be second nature. Good Luck, whatever you do don't give up on trying!!!

;)

I just bought a Nitro 884 with a Mercury 175 it is the max power for boat. When I come off plane a wave comes over the transom bad. Any suggestions about helping eliminate some of it.

i had an 884 savage, its a great boat. i would take the time to inspect the trailer. as far as coming off a plane way2slow has a great idea. nothing beats boat time though.

You could check the motor mount angle and height that might be able to solve some of the issue. With my 20horse I can do it myself but I dont know how you're going to swing that 175 around. Probably would have to take it to a shop. I'd just learn to drive around it.

Very common problem. You can still cut the throttle as hard as you want, just as the boat starts to settle, give it just a little gas for a few seconds to keep ahead of the backwash, you will feel it kinda lift/push the boat instead over coming over. Pretty soon it will be second nature and you will get the timing down to where it's no problem at all.

He hit it wright on the head! ;)

Very common problem. You can still cut the throttle as hard as you want, just as the boat starts to settle, give it just a little gas for a few seconds to keep ahead of the backwash, you will feel it kinda lift/push the boat instead over coming over. Pretty soon it will be second nature and you will get the timing down to where it's no problem at all.

Exactly how you do it  ;)

Well, there is a second way. Just as the boat starts to come down, you and your partner can jump up and haull *** to the front of the boat.

You learn to do this when your jetting carbs because you have to cut the ignition at WOT and you don't have the ability to give it a little gas when it settles. If you ever loose power when on plane, you had better remember this way also or you're gonna have water coming up your back.

I had a 389 Javlin that you could turn the key off and coast on plan for close to a mile. When it fell in the water running was your best move.

Garnet

This is what I do now too.  He is right on.