Sign in to follow this  
justfishin

X-Raps, Splain Lucy.

What is the appeal of the X-Raps? I never used them and am curious. What is the difference between them and say a Rogue, Rapala and such?

I think that they have a pretty fishy action. I have caught a few fish with them, but I honestly think that the  pointer out fishes them.

It's just a really well made jerkbait IMO. Rapala really did this one right. The feathered rear treble is an added bonus. Easy bait to walk, suspends well, casts like a bullet and to simplify things, they just flat out work for a whole lot of folks. The glass ghost has really been working well for me lately and has been my best producer as far as the xrap line but I like the black/silver, black/gold, olive green and clown as well.

Allthough it's not the best jerkbait out there it's darn close. It cuts so hard on the jerk that it almost turns around backwards. It's got a different action then anything out there.

What is the appeal of the X-Raps? I never used them and am curious.

You have to try them, different action but great lure. ;D

THEY JUST CATCH FISH. I STARTED USING THEM WHEN THEY WERE FIRST INTRODUCED, AND I HARDLY USE ANY OTHER JERKBAIT NOW.

UNIQUE ACTION, GREAT COLORS, CAST LIKE A BULLET, DRESSED TREBLE, ALL THE ABOVE. IT'S BEEN A VERY PRODUCTIVE LURE FOR ME.

The X-Rap is a well made lure with a balancing system comparable to the LC Pointer. They cast a mile and rarely foul hook themselves. Rapala calls this a "slash" bait and it does have a very erratic motion, simply different than any other jerkbait.

they cast like a bullet, nice action, good price , they catch fish

The best advice I can give you is to go to Rapala's website and watch the videos they have for each of the baits.  Check out a husky jerk, and then the xrap video.  The hj's have a straight line wobble on the jerk, the xraps have more of a wide slashing, zig zag pattern.  

The Olive Green XR-8 is a fish catching machine for pure numbers.. go with a XR-10 for more quality fish.. not that you cant catch them on the XR-8.

Guest avid

Golly gee, I hate to be a downer on this x-rap love in   but I have had two and only caught one keeper bass.  I gave on away and rarely use the other anymore due to low confidence level.   For suspending jerk baits, I think there is the LC pointer and then everything else.  

Avid-

If want rid of that other xrap, just send it over to me.  I have enough confidence in them for both of us.   ;D

AHHH, Hawgin beat me to it!!!! If anyone out there doesn't like their lures, feel free to send them to me for a thorough test session!!!!!!!!!!

I have two XR-8s and two XR-10s.  NONE of them suspend well out of the box.  Two sink butt first.  One sinks head first.  And one just plain floats.  Doesn't seem to matter what the water temp is or what line I'm using.  

Now, I'm willing to accept that the problem is me, not the baits.  So what am I doing wrong?  Suggestions?  

Take them back for exchange.

Fatboy, you're not doing anything wrong. Every manufacturer manages to make some baits that just don't work as designed. Some of these make it to the marketplace. Rapala's quality control seems to be pretty good, but not perfect. Just take "em back to where you got "em. Or, better yet, send them back to Rapala. I've done this, and received back more than what I sent in, on two occasions. Try it, they will take care of you. Rapala would much rather have a happy customer, and will go the extra mile to make you into one. I know they did me.

Good luck,

GK

Guest avid
So what am I doing wrong? Suggestions?

Yep.

Your using x-raps instead of LC pointers.

DUCK!!  

Avid: ouch... ;D

About sending them back to Rapala...  I don't have the original boxes anymore.  Do you think they would take them if I just pack them up and send them in with a letter explaining my problem/dissatisfaction?

Fatboy, that's the way I sent "em back. No boxes. I did tape up the hooks so nobody got stuck when the box was opened.

Cheers,

GK