Jump to content

California Delta vs Clearlake?


Darth-Baiter

Recommended Posts

  • Super User

My friends are in a debate.  They want a PB and they are torn at the place with the best potential. I say the Delta, but every one seems to think Clearlake holds the better bass.  NorCal guys, thoughts?  
 

my 7 lb cane from the Delta.  My 2nd place fish is fromClearlake.  Hmmmm. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

2 very different ecosystems; natural lake vs river system.

Clear Lake is the oldest and only natural bass lake in California. The San Joaquin / California Delta is massive made up from 5 rivers and 1500 miles of fishable water ways.  

Clear Lake get far more fishing pressure and has a good population of DD size bass, but imo easier to learn to bass fish then the Delta Tidal system.

Tom 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would say Delta. It would be easier to see the big girls swimming around in the calmer waters of Clear Lake. I would prefer the Delta. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
1 hour ago, Caliyak said:

I would say Delta. It would be easier to see the big girls swimming around in the calmer waters of Clear Lake. I would prefer the Delta. 

I feel the same about the Delta.  More real estate for bass elbow room. in my opinion only. 
 

but WRB’s insight is spot on. I think Clearlake bass are easier to pattern 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User
12 hours ago, camman said:

My bigger fish have all come from the Delta.  My biggest limits of 5 have come from Clear Lake.  I’d agree with above that I would focus on the Delta for a PB.

Yea.  My biggest dink-fest was on the Delta.  Nursery fish.  So many dinks.  But I agree, my biggest keeper limit is Clearlake by a long shot. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/25/2023 at 8:27 PM, WRB said:

2 very different ecosystems; natural lake vs river system.

Clear Lake is the oldest and only natural bass lake in California. The San Joaquin / California Delta is massive made up from 5 rivers and 1500 miles of fishable water ways.  

Clear Lake get far more fishing pressure and has a good population of DD size bass, but imo easier to learn to bass fish then the Delta Tidal system.

Tom 

You are forgetting Lake Elsinore, Southern Californias’ largest natural Lake. Full pool after a decade of low water, this lake is full and  will go off for a couple of years. Endless Treetops and Topwater.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

Didn’t consider Elsinore a natural lake, thought a earth dam west end?

It’s decent spinnerbait lake when full pool. 

Haven’t fish Elsinore in 40 years.

Tom

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Clear Lake by far. But for a PB there are a ton of other smaller easier to fish places with larger fish. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

So there are giants at both. Biggest limit with a 9.7 kicker at Clear lake. Had 50+lbs for 2 days with 2 days of practice.  The delta, well it's huge, tides, everything looks good but isn't. Had zero fish days there or all small.  Took me 3yrs fishing 3 times a year 3-5 days each time and then it finally started clicking. Yes pb is from the delta, 11lb and some change, but it's a tough fishery that will humble you.  If I was going for a pb trip, I'd go to Clear Lake. But love fishing both. It's a great break from S. Cal fisheries. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, gulfcaptain said:

So there are giants at both. Biggest limit with a 9.7 kicker at Clear lake. Had 50+lbs for 2 days with 2 days of practice.  The delta, well it's huge, tides, everything looks good but isn't. Had zero fish days there or all small.  Took me 3yrs fishing 3 times a year 3-5 days each time and then it finally started clicking. Yes pb is from the delta, 11lb and some change, but it's a tough fishery that will humble you.  If I was going for a pb trip, I'd go to Clear Lake. But love fishing both. It's a great break from S. Cal fisheries. 

Gulfcaptain, does Castaic or the Lagoon still produce big fish? would Castaic compete with Clear lake or the Delta? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

Castiac is a tough lake for bass over 6 lbs the past 10 years.

The Lagoon is very small and electric only but still produces a few DD’s (for Butch Brown who nearly lives on the Lagoon).

 Casitas produces larger size LMB on average and a few DD’s each year, get lower fishing pressure do to quagga restrictions.

We have nothing to compete with Clear Lake or the Delta.

Tom

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

There isn't a lake in S. Cal that produces like the delta or Clear Lake. So many much better fisheries. Yes we have big fish, but the lack of significant  trout plants of the past the larger sized fish have fallen off. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

My kayak mover, my very reliable Toyota Tacoma is showing some weakness. Im

hearing a very squeaky u joint or carrier bearing.  
 

maybe no fishing this weekend.  Truck may be in a shop. Dang. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Global Moderator
24 minutes ago, Darth-Baiter said:

My kayak mover, my very reliable Toyota Tacoma is showing some weakness. Im

hearing a very squeaky u joint or carrier bearing.  
 

maybe no fishing this weekend.  Truck may be in a shop. Dang. 

I been hearing that for years, they can fix it once it breaks haha. Fish on 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
On 4/24/2023 at 10:40 PM, ryanerb said:

I would vote for clear lake. Delta can be VERY humbling, and dealing with the tides and sea lions can be tricky. So much water to cover, etc

Ah it ain’t that bad ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

well, if you live in Rio Vista....

 

hahahha..to be honest, both options have been very sucky for me.  might be me, might be the big winter rains..  probably me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

The easy fishing during the spawn cycle is over, now it’s mid summer and a lot harder to locate the big girls. 

Flipping, pitching, punching heavy cover or froggin it’s all about bubba power bass fishing now.

The 20 lb + bags are now during night events on the Delta.

Tom

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.


  • Outboard Engine

    fishing forum

    fishing tackle

    fishing

    fishing

    fishing tackle

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.