Sign in to follow this  
lubina

Ideal rod for the Ikas.

I fish the Big and Fat Ikas a lot, to the point that I'm planning in getting a dedicated set.

It is a 1/2 oz lure ( with the hook I use ) and I fish mostly moderate to heavy cover, pitching most of the time, 50/50 boat/shore.

I'm thinking between the BCR 803 and 804, the extra fast tip is very attractive, but will take other suggestions.

Thanks.

My favorite was the MBR784 IMX... but I think you bought it from me!  ...lol  Built a replacement (custom 784) and now use it for fat Ikas.

I have been using a BCR 803 GLX and a Shimano Calcutta 251 to fish fat ikas and weightless senkos.  So far this has been a great setup for me.  The slower speed of the Calcutta works great for soft plastic and the rod is the most sensitive rod I have fished yet.

My favorite was the MBR784 IMX... but I think you bought it from me!  ....

Yes I did!!!!great buy....it is my jig rod.

I think you would be hard pressed to find a better rod then the G Loomis 844C (either the GLX or IMX) for the Fat Ikas in cover.  I fish my Ikas on a G Loomis 843C when there is more of an open water situation (e.g., submerged weedbed)

Everything I see posted with a comment about the BCR enthusiastically supports this rod series. It's something I would take a really close look at before buying another MBR. That said, for the application you are talking about, my GLX MBR844C is a VERY effective tool. However, I fish nearly all soft plastics, including the Fat Ika, on spinning tackle: St. Croix Legend Elite, ES70MF matched up with a Stella 2500FB, Yo-Zuri Hybrid Ultra Soft and Gamakatsu or XPoint 4/0 EWG Offset Worm Hooks.