Sign in to follow this  
revoman

Did i get a bad Revo?

Purchased a Revo SX-HS last spring and have tryed it on three differint rods over the summer and i can not cast it with out having a backlash. If i tighten the spool tension knob up so it doesn't backlash i can only cast around 15 yards and the handle turns harder then it should.I know how to use my thumb to cast as i have used baitcasters for over ten years.With all the praise for these reels just wondreing if anyone else has had any problems?

Are you setting the magnetic brake ?

I have that same reel and it casts like a dream for me.  I would have to second Raul's question.

Yes - Best result were around sixty precent on. Also had it spooled with ultra-soft and respooled with 20# pp w/out any better resuts.

How much weight are you trying to cast ?

if you take the side plate off and have to force the spool out the shaft is bent I had a revo s that i could not cast knew it was the reel because i had just replaced my curado bs with revos

tight lines

MAWilson

That is not the situation as i have went ahead and flushed out the bearings and relubed with hotsauce hoping that may of helped.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Although I use all the different Revo models, I will say that your problem seems to be fairly common, especially with the SX models. The complaints were more prevalent when they first came out but seem to have settled down now.

Try it with a rod that has a real soft tip and see what happens. The natural flex of a soft rod may help you get used to casting it.

I'll disagree... if you can't handle a 1/2 oz spinnerbait something is VERY, VERY, VERY WRONG.  You should be able to EASILY cast that with a $25 blister pack baitcaster.  I have an S model an it cast lighter baits than that (1/4oz.) with ease.

My father in law had this problem until I looked at his reel and saw his magnetic brake setting at around 50-60%.

Have you tried setting the brake to it's highest and experimenting by slowly backing it off until the lashes reappear?  Once the lashes just start, increase the brake one click and you should be good to go.

My father in law had this problem until I looked at his reel and saw his magnetic brake setting at around 50-60%.

Have you tried setting the brake to it's highest and experimenting by slowly backing it off until the lashes reappear? Once the lashes just start, increase the brake one click and you should be good to go.

I agree with the above, I had the same problem you had at the beginning.  I set the brake all the way counter clockwise and worked with it for awhile, while adjusting the spool tension knob.  After about 20-30 casts with a 3/8 practice weight I was good to go with the magnetic brake set at about 60%.

Good luck, Revo's are really good you shouldn't have a problem with it.

Young fella next door bought one and complained that he was having a terrible time with it.  He was not aware that he had to first set the spool tension on the side where the crank is.  Once I showed him how to do that then set the magnetic brake he is doing OK with it.

I have a Revo SC and have been pleased with how well it casts light lures.  It casts an unweighted Senko like a jig.  

I don 't think anything is wrong with the reel, operator error is most likely.

Did i get a bad Revo?
Not likely!  :)

I agree with Olebiker, most likely a bad initial reel setup, and maybe even a miss-match on the rods ratings. You don't set CC with the mag brakes on. Turn the mags off, then set the free spooling with CC, then set the brake at 50% and test cast, if your getting over run then set the mags again at 60% and keep doing so until the backlashes stop. If you don't get any satisfaction that way then set the mags at zero, and start with the CC free spooling, and set it a little tighter (slower fall rate), and then set the mags at 50% and test cast.

Basic Baitcast Reel Setup 101   8-)

Just my .02¢

Tight Lines All!!!

Did i get a bad Revo?
Not likely!  :)

I agree with Olebiker, most likely a bad initial reel setup, and maybe even a miss-match on the rods ratings. You don't set CC with the mag brakes on. Turn the mags off, then set the free spooling with CC, then set the brake at 50% and test cast, if your getting over run then set the mags again at 60% and keep doing so until the backlashes stop. If you don't get any satisfaction that way then set the mags at zero, and start with the CC free spooling, and set it a little tighter (slower fall rate), and then set the mags at 50% and test cast.

Not to contradict the guy that does this stuff for a living, but I'd recommend starting the experimentation process at 100% brakes on and gradually decrease, not start at 50% and gradually increase.  Based on my experience with the Revo's, they seem to be touchier than others.  I've seen some pretty gnarly backlashes with 50% brake on the Revo :)

I have the same reel, and don't have any issues with it.

Falcon

I've seen some pretty gnarly backlashes with 50% brake on the Revo
I don't doubt that at all. With all of the replies that I have read to questions about proper setup of LP BC reels. I would say the majority of the anglers still haven't got it right......

:) :) :)

I have 2 S-L's that have the 6 pins. When I setup my reels, I place all of my brake pins off to set the free spooling (drop rate) of the lure i'm using, first. Then I set my brake pins.  I have even turned my pins off, and set the Cast Control, test casted and no backlash with a 30 year educated thumb.

It is basically the same with the mag settings on the SX-HS. First you set free spooling (CC), then set the mags either in the middle 50% or on the light side 30% and test cast. If your getting over runs from that setup then add more brake (unless you have a very educated thumb).

You don't set brakes then try to set the free spooling through Cast Control Cap settings.

One other thing for him to think about, with all the heavy pressure setting adjustments he has set on the Cast Control Cap, I would suspect that the shims and shim backer inside the cast control cap have been effected also, and he probably still won't get a good setup that will stay put.

Tight Lines!!!!

I agree with the rest of replies, I have had my SX-HS for almost 7 months and I picked it up today for the first time in 2 months and it was not dialed in.  Eventually after getting the spool control set I had to turn it to 7 on the magnetic brake and it worked flawlessly.  Before I had it set on 3 or 4 and it was over-running every cast.  

I run my Revo on about 70% and it works well...most of the time.  Last night, I got such a bad overrun, I had to cut away the line. Only time it has been that bad.  I got some overruns trying to cast a F11 Rapala into the wind

For the past several years I have trained my thumb to cast with my reels set almost on free spool. That was untill I started buying Revo's. This reel is different. It is very easy to backlash if you are used to the minimal break settings like I am. It took me a few days before I understood what was going on. Then I went back to the basics of setting up a reel and found that happy place again and I don't have anymore problems. So read ReelMechanic's post about how to set these things up and you shouldn't have a problem.

I had / have the same problem.

I have my Curado and can cast this thing a mile without my thumb being anywhere near the spool until it hits the water. I'm so used to being able to cast without my thumb on or near the spool, it made using my Revo SX a pain.

Took me a bit of getting used to, but I've got it down a bit now but still have 100 times more backlashes then with the Curado.

Thank you DavidG for the advice, I didn't know to set the brake on 0 then do the CC and then dot he brakes. Hopefully this will help!